Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2005 10:22:41 AM EDT
Baton Rouge Police Being Investigated Following Other Cop Complaints

ASSOCIATED PRESS

BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) -- Two out-of-state police agencies refused to continue working with Baton Rouge police during hurricane detail because of complaints over the use of force and unprofessional language and conduct, the police chief says.

In a written statement issued Monday, Chief Jeff LeDuff said the month-old investigation centers mostly on ''possible technical violations of procedures, including use of unprofessional language and conduct.''

LeDuff said the department also is looking into three cases involving "application of force."

Last month, New Mexico State Police and Michigan State Police refused to work post-hurricane duty with city police after witnessing Baton Rouge officers commit acts they considered misconduct, officials with those agencies said.

The two patrolled the city with Baton Rouge police officers just after Hurricane Katrina hammered the Gulf Coast Aug. 29, forcing the evacuation of hundreds of thousands of southeastern residents.

LeDuff said he would provide more information after the investigation is completed.

What's the root problem in law enforcment in the southeastern US? How can an entire region be so screwed up? Is it low pay? Nepotism? Low standards? Affirmative action? Racial/Gender seat asides? Poor leadership? Poor supervision? Lack of quality applicants?
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 10:31:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Not surprized, especially given the recent video that just came out of there.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 10:35:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I wouldnt work, period.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 10:39:39 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What's the root problem in law enforcment in the southeastern US New Orleans? How can an entire region be so screwed up? Is it low pay? Nepotism? Low standards? Affirmative action? Racial/Gender seat asides? Poor leadership? Poor supervision? Lack of quality applicants?

That's about it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 10:41:49 AM EDT
[#4]
And this is coming from the michigan state police whom was witnessed on video disarming innocent victims of hurricane katrina....
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 10:42:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow, cops actually reporting and taking a stand against other cops for getting out of line...I guess there are a few good cops out there after all.  The big question is who will get in more trouble?  The cops reporting the abuses or the cops who acted in an unprofessional manner?
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 10:51:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What's the root problem in law enforcment in the southeastern US? How can an entire region be so screwed up? Is it low pay? Nepotism? Low standards? Affirmative action? Racial/Gender seat asides? Poor leadership? Poor supervision? Lack of quality applicants?

Low pay = lack of quality applicants

I wouldn't be surprised if it's this way everywhere...   Around here, the lowest paying PD gets all the rejects and they are known for using excessive force.  Of course, they also deal with the worst people, too.

On edit:  I don't know if Baton Rouge PD is one of the lowest paid in that area.  Being the state capital, you'd think they might make a decent salary...

CR
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 11:00:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What's the root problem in law enforcment in the southeastern US New Orleans? How can an entire region be so screwed up? Is it low pay? Nepotism? Low standards? Affirmative action? Racial/Gender seat asides? Poor leadership? Poor supervision? Lack of quality applicants?

That's about it.

Yea right the Southeast… yea. More fucking stupid ass Yankee bullshit.

Please explain Detroit police problem in this Southeast context… or Newark… or DC, ect., ect,. ect,…

Yea right the Southeast…
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 11:14:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Low pay = lack of quality applicants

I wouldn't be surprised if it's this way everywhere...   Around here, the lowest paying PD gets all the rejects and they are known for using excessive force.  Of course, they also deal with the worst people, too.

On edit:  I don't know if Baton Rouge PD is one of the lowest paid in that area.  Being the state capital, you'd think they might make a decent salary...

CR

I'm not surprised by this at all.  I've witnessed BRPD in action.  They're more like the Keystone Cops than anything.  A number of the ones I've come across are not terribly bright.  There are some good ones, but overall they're just not the cream-of-the-crop.  

They are not paid real well, but quite frankly, I'm not real keen on paying the existing ones any more until they can show an improvement in performance.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 11:20:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's about it.

Yes ... but ...

Given your experience I am certain that you know better than most on this board about how frequently truely "bad cops" occur -- I am guessing that its really pretty infrequent (not counting "over zelaous" or "officious" behaviour here -- I'm talking about real bad apples).

I am also guessing that the real bad apples get noticed reasonably quickly - either before they get sworn, or not long after -- and taken care of internally.

So assuming that I am not REALLY out of line in my expectations of the police in policing themselves, how does a police force ever get into the state that NO seems to be in?

Seems to me it takes an almost deliberate policy on some level -- some relatively high level -- to foster this sort of behavior, to employ and tolerate people who (IMHO) would never hold down a job in any "normal"  police force.

-----------------
Edit: just looked at this with my siganture attached -- seems perhaps appropriate -- maybe a deliberate policy is not required
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 11:25:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm not defending Baton Rouge police here, I've never even been there, but notice these are two State Police agencies finding fault with them.  Not knocking state police work either, but urban municipal policing involves a lot more "getting down and dirty" than writing a vacationing family a speeding ticket on some interstate.

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 11:27:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Two out-of-state police agencies refused to continue working with Baton Rouge police during hurricane detail because of complaints over the use of force and unprofessional language and conduct, the police chief says.

Some cops not afraid to say their own stink
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 1:09:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's about it.

Yes ... but ...

Given your experience I am certain that you know better than most on this board about how frequently truely "bad cops" occur -- I am guessing that its really pretty infrequent (not counting "over zelaous" or "officious" behaviour here -- I'm talking about real bad apples).

I am also guessing that the real bad apples get noticed reasonably quickly - either before they get sworn, or not long after -- and taken care of internally.

So assuming that I am not REALLY out of line in my expectations of the police in policing themselves, how does a police force ever get into the state that NO seems to be in?

Seems to me it takes an almost deliberate policy on some level -- some relatively high level -- to foster this sort of behavior, to employ and tolerate people who (IMHO) would never hold down a job in any "normal"  police force.

-----------------
Edit: just looked at this with my siganture attached -- seems perhaps appropriate -- maybe a deliberate policy is not required

You raise an interesting issue.....

As I discussed with a Police Officer friend, police officers should uphold the law.  All the law.

No "winking" at minor violations.  No "special treatment" for certain violations.

New Orleans police dept. was given the task of upholding the law.....some of it.

But they were expected to "wink" at the drugs, prostitution, and drunkeness in the French Quarters.

Once the line is blurred, it is hard to find it again.

When I was carrying a badge, I arrested anyone that violated the law.  I didn't "wink" at any violation.

Either you uphold the law or you don't.

They don't.

Hence the problems.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:21:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Why don't we wait until the investigation is over before we convict somebody ?    After it's all said and done , the anti - LEO crowd can proceed with picking apart the facts .  
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:22:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I think you'll find that such circumstances are more common than you'd like to believe. That's one of the reasons many here fear too much power being placed with the police.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:30:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's about it.

Please explain Detroit police problem in this Southeast context… or Newark… or DC, ect., ect,. ect,…

Yea right the Southeast…

No shit... Rampart, Philly, Ford Heights, West New York, San Fran...

The only thing we are overrepresented in is line of duty deaths.

It's a shame to see you overgeneralizing AR...
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:37:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Much the same could be said for Boston and Chicago PD, or most of the .com companies from 2000. Like OP said, crookedness and incompetence is like a cancer, once it takes hold it doesn't go away easily in any type of organization, police or otherwise.

It isn't a southeastern phenomena by any means.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:40:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's about it.

Yea right the Southeast…

No shit... Rampart, Philly, Ford Heights, West New York, San Fran...

The only thing we are overrepresented in is line of duty deaths.

It's a shame to see you overgeneralizing AR...

"The LAPD.  We're the most hated police in the whole world."
-Rush Hour
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:41:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:11:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Yes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top