Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2001 10:32:08 PM EDT
It's that simple.  I think I was in the 4th grade at the time the song was new and playing on the radio stations.

Recently I got ahold of the track again and I still love it just as much as I did back then.

Heck, I still remember the "be cruel to your school" music video.

What other classics can you remember?
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 10:35:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks, I had just officially stopped having nightmares about that ugly ass drag queen. Now I won't be able to sleep and will be forced to meticulously photograph and post more of my collection.
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 10:56:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Worse yet, have you seen what the band "Dead or Alive" has become?   They were pretty gender bending back in the days when they were singing "You Spin Me Right Round"  but now they are pushing the barrier even worse than ever before!

Atleast Twisted Sister was some kind of KISS/GlamBand/BigHair band thing, total product of the 80s and now they are long gone.   Dead or Alive was just a freak of nature and is even more so today, that's right they are still around.
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 11:00:49 PM EDT
[#3]
They are all a bunch of bitches in makeup. Remember Poison? Where these guys trying to be Cindy Crawford or what?
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 11:16:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep.  I know what you mean.   God, David Bowie, that guy still gives me the absolute creeps to this day.

Then there's KISS, what's up with those dudes?  LOL!  I wouldn't dare calling them a bunch of "bitches in makeup", "wierd" maybe but they could downright rock.
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 11:20:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't think they were trying to look like women. But they did score some nice stuff. Really hot chicks. I think "their" makeup was a 70s gimick that stuck, probably to their later regret.

Plus real talent doesn't need a gimick. Zepplin comes to mind for hardcore. Beatles for rock. Some classics; Billy Squire "Big Beat", Yes "Owner of a lonley heart" and Prince (Probably a genius, but again the makeup issue).
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 11:35:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Twisted Sister, "I wanna rock!" Classic or not?

They had a real string of hits going (insert sarcastic smily face thingy here). I would choose Country and Western (and I hate C&W), over Twisted Sister. I would rather listen to an arm pit concerto or hear 99 Bottles of Beer on the wall, or....uhhh, uhhhh.....nothing.
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 11:51:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I really think "I wanna rock" was/is a decent song.  The others by Twisted Sister weren't quite so good or they weren't good at all.

It's just one of those songs you can crank up as loud as it can go.

hehe, if Twisted Sister gets to you.  You should see what I'd like to do to the little twerps that play their rap music too loud.  I no longer have a "kick ass" stereo in my truck but if I did, whenever those little bass mongers pull up next to me with their stereos to loud I'd love nothing more than to throw in one of my scottish pipe band disks.  I'd like to drown out their rap music with about 400 watts of blaring bagpipes, if they didn't like it tough because I swear I'll chase their ass around town blaring it just so they can know how it feels.

Yes, I actually love bagpipes and I wouldn't crank up the music just to piss off some stupid little idiots playing their rap music too loud.  I just figure it would really drive them nuts, bagpipes could cut through that rap music like a hot knife through butter.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 5:30:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm with getsome. I'd rather listen to C&W, and I hate C&W. To give it its due though, it is better than rap.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 5:34:08 AM EDT
[#9]
"I wanna rock" and "We're not gonna take it" are both cool songs.  Ignore the band's stupid look.  Those tunes are good solid four-chord rockers with obnoxious lyrics.  The way rock should be.  (shut up all you Rush fans - I know you're out there.)
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 6:10:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Twisted Sister was a very good cover band in the late seventies, early eighties, playing all of the clubs I used to hang out at on Long Island. Tuey's, The Mad Hatter, The Bawdy Barn...

The had a fellow that they called Elmo Nitrate come out to do the vocals for their Lou Reed set. They were a lot of fun! And they attracted a lot of nubile nymphs into those clubs. :)
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 7:40:07 AM EDT
[#11]
he looked better as a drag queen than he does today.  Too much meth and too much mullet.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 8:00:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 8:47:26 AM EDT
[#13]
yes, T/S is a classic band of HEAVY METAL.
they have more than 2 good tunes.

he, DEE SNYDER, started dressing that way to start fights.
when someone would say "hey fag !" he would kick their ass ! for those who don't know what he looks like, 999 out of 1000 people would have their ass's kicked. he's not a small dude.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 12:58:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I think its a classic but i still prefer older country music.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 1:34:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I think Twisted Sister is definitely a classic 80s rock band. I was in high school in the mid 80s, graduated in 86, and was really into the music of the times back then. I listen to a lot of country music today, mostly older stuff, but I still get a kick out of most of the 80s rock. There is a station here in Seattle that only plays 80s music. I listen to it quite a bit.

I don't think Dee Snyder was trying to look like a woman, either. Anyone who thinks that is what a woman looks like should get an eye exam pronto or consider finally coming out of the closet. I always thought it was a corny/campy imitation of KISS.

Another 80s icon that I miss is MTV. Whatever that crap is that they call MTV today really sucks. Do they even play music videos anymore? I don't even let my kids watch it, had a filter installed to block it out entirely in our home.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 2:23:51 PM EDT
[#16]
In the 4th grade when the song was on the radio.  Is this guy trying to make me feel old or what?
[img]http://www.album.yahoo.com/images/muze/album/150/152793_th.jpg[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top