Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2005 8:04:10 PM EDT
...than by accidental gunfire.

Just saw it on CSI.... so it MUST be true!!!

This Edit was brought to you by "Walrus The Spelling Nazi"
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:05:01 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Just saw it on CSI.... so it MUST me true!!!

be true, or me true?

grammar nazis: 1, you: 0
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:05:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd believe that.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:07:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Marge Helgenberger is hot
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:07:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought it was auto wrecks and such.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:07:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds a little low.

Why, just this week I personally pushed three peop...

...ummm, nevermind.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:08:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd believe it too.  Local news channel did an informal study, that showed that children were 7 times as likely to drown in a pool than be shot by a gun.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:11:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Does that count the ones who jump down the stairs because someone's shooting at them?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:13:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Ha!

I just remembered the end of Out of Sight when White Boy
trips up the stairs and blows his own head off!

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:24:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I would have expected CSI to say something more anti-gun, like "many more people die from accidental gunfire than have been eaten by dinosaurs in recorded history".
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:24:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just saw it on CSI.... so it MUST me true!!!

be true, or me true?

grammar nazis: 1, you: 0

diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick!!!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:25:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Accidental discharge of firearms accounts for about 700 deaths/year.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:26:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Accidental discharge of firearms accounts for about 700 deaths/year.

how many die by Nocturnal discharge? ....

Nah... nevermind... I DONT wanna know.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:37:28 PM EDT
[#13]
NSC accidental death list, US, 1997:

1. Motor Vehicles
2. Falls
3. Poisoning [solids & liquids]
4. Drowning
5. Fire and Burns
6. Suffocation
7. Firearms
8. Poisoning [gases]

It's also worth noting that firearms don't even make the NSC's Top 20 injuries from products list (but toilets, jewelry, fences and refrigerators do)
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:00:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

1. Motor Vehicles
2. Falls
4. Drowning
5. Fire and Burns
6. Suffocation
7. Firearms
8. Poisoning [gases]

It's also worth noting that firearms don't even make the NSC's Top 20 injuries from products list (but toilets, jewelry, fences and refrigerators do)

Refrigerators??? I wonder how?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:03:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

You won't the next time one falls on you.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:10:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I'd believe it too.  Local news channel did an informal study, that showed that children were 7 times as likely to drown in a pool than be shot by a gun.

I dare you to send that to the Brady Bunch. They would probably twist it around to show that the "children" 22 years of age were shot by an assault machine bullet hose - with bayonet, before drowning. So it's all about gun control and it's for the "children."
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:26:06 PM EDT
[#17]
The two following tales are completely true:

My hair dresser's Mother fell down the stairs and landed on her head and is now in a coma. This just happened a few days ago.

Also, a few years ago, One of the ladies in my Grandmother's investing club was carrying a tray of glasses down the stairs and fell to the bottom and cut her throat on the shards when the glass broke and died right there - she was dead for 2 days before they found her.

So I believe it.

Ban Stairs. Its for the childrens.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:06:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Seriously, Stairs, balconies and backyard pools are huge risks compared to firearm accidents.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:21:45 PM EDT
[#19]

To say that stairs are more dangerous than firearms just because there are more injuries on stairs than with firearms is a faulty conclusion. Far more people go up and down stairs every day than shoot firearms. Likewise nearly ALL homes have a bathtub and they're used a lot more often than firearms too.

FWIW.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:27:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Pak Chooie Unf!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:35:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Pak Chooie Unf!

WTF?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:39:21 PM EDT
[#22]
ban stairs and elevation!  It's for the children
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:39:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Pak Chooie Unf!

We are here to protect you from the terriable secret of space.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:42:28 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
To say that stairs are more dangerous than firearms just because there are more injuries on stairs than with firearms is a faulty conclusion. Far more people go up and down stairs every day than shoot firearms. Likewise nearly ALL homes have a bathtub and they're used a lot more often than firearms too.

FWIW.

Since you are getting technical here:

shooting firearms and being injured by a firearm is not a direct correlation. That is like saying every time you eat an ice cream cone someone dies in guatemala. Yes someone might die, but not because you ate an ice cream. And yes, nearly all homes have a bathtub and it has been proven that hot water burn baby! Wapner, Wapner
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:22:03 PM EDT
[#25]

1. Motor Vehicles
2. Falls
4. Drowning
5. Fire and Burns
6. Suffocation
7. Firearms
8. Poisoning [gases]

I as a resonable Govt legislator propose the following resonable safety regulations:

1. Ban cars and trucks.           Bring back the horse and buggy. Is getting from point a to b quickly really that important?? Think about your children for one second you selfish bastard.

2. Ban gravity.
Hundreds of people can be saved each year if the earth would stop "smacking" into them.
I propose a $200 fine for all people who continue to use gravity. And once a month cops can have a special "awareness\revenue generating" campaign. Stopping anyone they see who still walks using gravity.

3. Ban all poisons! Anything that when consumed in a large enough quantity should be banned. This includes all cleaning products. (use spit and a rag instead) Since Salt can kill you if enough is taken that shall go also. Paint thinner is also wicked so it shall also go. Painting is overrated anyway i reckon.

4. Ban all pools, tubs, buckets and anything that could cause a person to drown (this includes soupbowls) More people take showers anyway. And pools are only for rich scumbags. I also suggest that all natural ponds be heavily taxed and regulated. The money should be used to fund a program that determines if Ponds pose a threat to our communities.

5. Ban all things that can "combust". This includes Matches and lighters , an unfortunate and i assure you completely unintended side effect of this will be Smoking will be impossable therefore banned. Any gas burning  product is now outlawed including stoves and grills.

6. Ban pillows. that one is a no brainer.

7. and lastly since Guns have "no benefical Purpose" to society and the second Amendment was about the national guard all guns are hereby banned.

Have a nice* day.

* and safe.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:22:16 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Pak Chooie Unf!

WTF?

Do not trust the shover robot.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:25:37 AM EDT
[#27]
I fell down an escalator once.  I fell for half an hour...........

get it?

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:31:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Updated stats for 2003:

The Problem Viewed by Cause of Death

Leading Causes of Unintentional Injury Deaths United States, 2003

Motor Vehicle                    44,800
Falls                                 16,200
Poisoning                      13,900
Choking                       4,300
Drowning                      2,900
Fires, flames, and smoke 2,600
Suffocation                       1,200

Firearms didnt even make the list!!
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:45:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Ban stairs and balconies.  For the children.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:58:39 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

1. Motor Vehicles
2. Falls
4. Drowning
5. Fire and Burns
6. Suffocation
7. Firearms
8. Poisoning [gases]

I as a resonable Govt legislator propose the following resonable safety regulations:

1. Ban cars and trucks.           Bring back the horse and buggy. Is getting from point a to b quickly really that important?? Think about your children for one second you selfish bastard.

2. Ban gravity.
Hundreds of people can be saved each year if the earth would stop "smacking" into them.
I propose a $200 fine for all people who continue to use gravity. And once a month cops can have a special "awareness\revenue generating" campaign. Stopping anyone they see who still walks using gravity.

3. Ban all poisons! Anything that when consumed in a large enough quantity should be banned. This includes all cleaning products. (use spit and a rag instead) Since Salt can kill you if enough is taken that shall go also. Paint thinner is also wicked so it shall also go. Painting is overrated anyway i reckon.

4. Ban all pools, tubs, buckets and anything that could cause a person to drown (this includes soupbowls) More people take showers anyway. And pools are only for rich scumbags. I also suggest that all natural ponds be heavily taxed and regulated. The money should be used to fund a program that determines if Ponds pose a threat to our communities.

5. Ban all things that can "combust". This includes Matches and lighters , an unfortunate and i assure you completely unintended side effect of this will be Smoking will be impossable therefore banned. Any gas burning  product is now outlawed including stoves and grills.

6. Ban pillows. that one is a no brainer.

7. and lastly since Guns have "no benefical Purpose" to society and the second Amendment was about the national guard all guns are hereby banned.

Have a nice* day.

* and safe.

Dear Legislator,

You addressed many terrible issuses, and for that our community is proud.  However, you seem to have forgot item 8 on the list, deaths from poisoning (gases).  Clearly this is a case for banning Chile...

-Ben
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:00:11 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Just saw it on CSI.... so it MUST be true!!!

This Edit was brought to you by "Walrus The Spelling Nazi"

Wow...  what I find amazing is that a pop culture show like CSI actually said that and didn't do everything possible to demonize guns.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:46:21 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FWIW.

Since you are getting technical here:

shooting firearms and being injured by a firearm is not a direct correlation. That is like saying every time you eat an ice cream cone someone dies in guatemala. Yes someone might die, but not because you ate an ice cream. And yes, nearly all homes have a bathtub and it has been proven that hot water burn baby! Wapner, Wapner

Okay now that makes no sense.

Most accidental shootings are not done by "dropped" firearms but rather by playing/cleaning with "unloaded" firearms.

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:49:04 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1. Motor Vehicles
2. Falls
4. Drowning
5. Fire and Burns
6. Suffocation
7. Firearms
8. Poisoning [gases]

Discarded refrigerators.  Kids get trapped in them and suffocate.  That's why it's best to remove the door when taking them to the dump.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:05:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top