Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2002 12:30:35 PM EDT
So last night around 1 am I was in my favorite sniper hide (which I ain't gonna mention [:D]) and I'm doing my usual holdover exercises on my designated target (which I ain't gonna mention [:D]) about 180m away.

After about 1/2 hours my eyes were well adjusted to the dark and I start seeing a lot of things near my target [i]moving[/i]. Gotta love 30mm tubes.

I swing down and there are about 6 cats. So I spend the next 1/2 hour tracking them and doing holdovers and compressed squeezes on the kitties. Talk about a difficult exercise. I'm gonna have to start dropping empty tuna cans in my target area.

Who knew cats were useful?
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 12:34:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Funny you say that. My neighbor wants the cats here shot because they're spreading like rabbits. I told her it might be better if she stopped feeding them but she blamed it on the other neighbor who stopped feeding them a long time ago.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 12:37:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Funny you say that. My neighbor wants the cats here shot because they're spreading like rabbits. I told her it might be better if she stopped feeding them but she blamed it on the other neighbor who stopped feeding them a long time ago.
View Quote

You will never stop an woman from feeding stray cats. If you bust a cap on one of "HER" strays. Bet on it, that she will drop the dime on you.

Bill  
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 12:58:59 PM EDT
[#3]
IBTL.

The title of the thread contains the words "target" and "cat", so it's inevitable.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 1:01:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I never liked cats, always been a dog man, I have a Chesepeake and a Great Pyr. But the kids wanted one and I gave in. The little bugger kills about a dozen scorpions a year and he's never been outside! Never knew I had so many getting in the house until I got the cat. Best exterminator I ever had. Before I got hitched and had kids, got up one morning and found a dead cat in one of my dogs bowls! Must have been a stray. I felt like a criminal bagging it and putting it in the trash. The dog was pretty pleased with himself tho.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 1:04:53 PM EDT
[#5]
We called 'em swamp cats. Made it easier to drop 'em.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 1:09:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I just got a stray from my g/f's mom. Great little cat so far, however the momma cat is a stray who keeps getting knocked up and the g/f mom is so frustrated that she want's me to put a round or two into the stray tomcats in the neighborhood. I think that the city might frown on me hunting cats with the M-1A or M-4, however one of those chinese air rifles might do the trick. If only she lived in the country I could have a great time..lol.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 1:11:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So last night around 1 am I was in my favorite sniper hide (which I ain't gonna mention [:D]) and I'm doing my usual holdover exercises on my designated target (which I ain't gonna mention [:D]) about 180m away.
View Quote

and I thought I was the only one.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 1:12:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I wonder how many out there know what a ruckus was caused the last time "the hide" and "designated target" was mentioned in Aug's little corner of the world? [peep]

Ah, the memories
[chainsawkill]
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 1:13:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 1:23:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Is this you ?

[url]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=799[/url]

[red]Edit:  Made the pic to a link, but will probably still get in trouble.   --thebeekeeper1[/red]
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 2:19:21 PM EDT
[#11]
((pitter..patter...pitter...patter)) Whats that?

Here come the mods! [BD]

I guess 9 lives is a rumor?
IBTL!
[b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 3:45:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 3:51:07 PM EDT
[#13]
WOO HOO.

IATL.

Am I the first?

In After The Lock?
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 3:52:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Damn, SA...why didn't you send that IM to everybody? I just blasted 8 of the neighborhood cats and now I don't know what to do with 'em.

I was [b]holding over[/b] about 2" @ 300 yards and then tried [b]compressed squeezes[/b] over the bullet holes to try and stop the bleeding without any success.

I swear, you guys get me in more trouble....
[;)]
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 3:53:46 PM EDT
[#15]
LOL!!!!....IATL

Good GOD I laughed on this one!!!
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 3:57:34 PM EDT
[#16]
And i'm building a 6 foot kitty castle. Lots of windows. AUGGIE, you in some for close-quarters urban kitten combat training? [:D] I'll hafta post pics after it gets closer to completion.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 3:57:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 4:02:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

After about 1/2 hours my eyes were well adjusted to the dark and I start seeing a lot of things near my target [i]moving[/i]. Gotta love 30mm tubes.

I swing down and there are about 6 cats. So I spend the next 1/2 hour tracking them and doing holdovers and compressed squeezes on the kitties. Talk about a difficult exercise. I'm gonna have to start dropping empty tuna cans in my target area.

Who knew cats were useful?
View Quote

The ingenious rooftop "sniper" hide and "compressed squeezes" on cats....uhh okay

[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 4:19:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I wonder how many out there know what a ruckus was caused the last time "the hide" and "designated target" was mentioned in Aug's little corner of the world? [peep]

Ah, the memories
[chainsawkill]
View Quote

I do. [}:D]
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 4:28:26 PM EDT
[#20]
The practice of having a random moving target while you concentrate on target acquisition, lighting, breathing, and the integral rate of trigger pressure until the release on a snap cap. I do it all the time practicing on a extended bi-pod (right hand only) with canted body positions while really laying into the rifle. You can really notice body shake while you follow movement and note the trigger release.  These things go unrecorded while hunting (or in a stressful situation). The bullet is long gone before you feel the recoil. The initial state of the rifle and the shooter is of great significance.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 4:29:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Great idea Steyr!!!!  Now I need a good recipe for kitten.....virgin pussy is always the tenderist meat.  [;)]

Sgtar15

PS  Sorry Beekeeper1....I tried.[;)]
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 4:30:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 8:11:32 PM EDT
[#23]
If you see this one, don't shoot it.  He escaped before I finished.  There is a reward for his return.[;D]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/Aggie1%2Fcatderbyhat09%5F0906112910%2Ejpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 8:30:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Well, I just learned a little bit about sniping technique, anyway...

Someone mentioned varmint control with one of those Chinese air rifles, or something along those lines.

A .22 caliber pellet at 800 to 1000 FPS SHOULD do the trick, I'd imagine.  

It'd be worth it!  If you've ever had two cats having the sex of a lifetime right under your bedroom window at three in the morning on the night before a major job interview, you'd never again say that you can't imagine shooting cats!

I've never done it...but up on my family's  Alabama farm property,  in that entire area all strays are routinely controlled by shooting them.  Where you have livestock, you have no choice.  Cats don't bother the cows, but they're hell on the chickens, and stray dogs are BAD NEWS for ALL your livestock.   They're smart enough to get in trouble, and dumb enough that they don't know better.

CJ
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 8:31:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have to leave, but when I return I hope someone will 'splain what a "holdover" at 180m is, as well as a "compressed squeeze."  SA says I should know, but I really have no clue.  I understand holding over for long range shots, but at 180 m. it seems unnecessary, unless a .22 rf is being used.  Even then, it could only be practiced with live fire.  The squeeze thing has me totally baffled.  [whacko]
View Quote

Holdover can mean something else too. It is basically keeping the reticle on target before, during and after (up to 5 seconds) the trigger pull with as little movement as possible. It is to condition the shooter to stay "on target" while the round travels down the barrel.

A compressed squeeze (also known as "fire on command") is different from the "let it surprise you" trigger squeeze most shooters use. Basically it is using the same squeeze principle but within a short defined period of about 2 seconds.

Neither technique is exceptionally difficult, but they are often overlooked and seldom practiced.

So now ya know. [:D]
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 8:33:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The ingenious rooftop "sniper" hide and "compressed squeezes" on cats....uhh okay

[rolleyes]
View Quote

Have you seen my ghille suit made of roofing tiles? [:D]
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 8:35:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 8:40:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Okay, thanks, SA.  I guess it's just a matter of terms.  The holdover thing we call "follow through" after each shot.  The compressed squeeze we call "shoot that sumbitch before he gets away."  [:D]
View Quote

We refer to "follow through" as the 2nd, 3rd and 4th round.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 8:46:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I just got a stray from my g/f's mom. Great little cat so far, however the momma cat is a stray who keeps getting knocked up and the g/f mom is so frustrated that she want's me to put a round or two into the stray tomcats in the neighborhood. I think that the city might frown on me hunting cats with the M-1A or M-4, however one of those chinese air rifles might do the trick. If only she lived in the country I could have a great time..lol.
View Quote

You don't HAVE to live in the country, just be quiet enough so as to not disturb the neighbors.

[img]http://home.earthlink.net/~karlpmann/_uimages/Tec22T.JPG[/img]

Karl.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 8:52:28 PM EDT
[#30]
SteyrAug, please email me some more of those pics you found on the net of the cat sniper, I want to use one as a screensaver!

[email protected]
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#31]
HA-haha~! is that a suppressed tec-22 with a bipod? that is the funniest thing I have ever seen!
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 8:54:33 PM EDT
[#32]
I think I have a friend that has a suppressed Ruger MK II I can see if he might et me borrow..lol.. Hell he might want to do it himself.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 8:55:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 9:01:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
WOO HOO.

IATL.

Am I the first?

In After The Lock?
View Quote

I think you mean you're the first IATU.

In After The Unlock.[:D]  [;)]

Karl.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 9:14:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
HA-haha~! is that a suppressed tec-22 with a bipod? that is the funniest thing I have ever seen!
View Quote

Yup, but seriously, it's a fantastic Prairie Dog gun for those up close in the trees shots.  I've actually gotten up to four in the same spot before the others figured it out.  With an unsuppressed weapon, of course it's shoot, move to new location or wait 1/2 hour for them to come back out, shoot, repeat.  Karl.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 9:28:09 PM EDT
[#36]
I've mistaken a large tom-cat for a racoon at 10-15 yards.  40 S&W 135gr Cor-Bon JHP hit him diagonally, and did unspeakable damage before leaving a gaping exit wound.  

He was a rural wild cat, scraggly as hell, so I didn't worry much about it.  The funny thing is, after I hit him, he just stood there for like 5 seconds- then he dropped like a rock.  The cat was literally dead on his feet!  

Link Posted: 11/27/2002 9:30:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
SteyrAug, please email me some more of those pics you found on the net of the cat sniper, I want to use one as a screensaver!

[email protected]
View Quote

I never mentioned having pics of a cat sniper. Musta been someone else.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 10:06:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, the memories
[chainsawkill]
View Quote

I do. [}:D]
View Quote

Me, too.[:)]
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 10:41:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Ok--let me get this straight:  If one were to start a thread about shooting feral cats, it would get locked?  Seriously? [newbie]
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 11:00:19 PM EDT
[#40]
The Ballad Of OL'AUG
View Quote

When this old world starts getting me down
And people are just too much for me to face
I climb way up to the top of the stars
And all my cares just drift right into space
On the roof it's peaceful as can be
And there the world below can't bother me
Let me tell you now
When I come home feeling tired and beat
I go up where the air is fresh and sweet
I get away from the hustling crowds
And all that rat race noise down in the street
On the roof's the only place I know
Where you just have to wish to make it so
Up on the roof
At night the stars put on a show for free
And darling you can share it all with me
I keep-a tellin' you
Right smack dab in the middle of town
I found a Paradise that's trouble-proof
And if this world starts getting you down
There's room enough for two up on the roof
Up on the roof...
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/28/2002 3:34:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup, but seriously, it's a fantastic Prairie Dog gun for those up close in the trees shots.  I've actually gotten up to four in the same spot before the others figured it out.  With an unsuppressed weapon, of course it's shoot, move to new location or wait 1/2 hour for them to come back out, shoot, repeat.  Karl.
View Quote

Yup, why not?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top