Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2002 4:45:07 AM EDT
Ok I know this is an ar-15 board but does anyone know how to remove a barrel from an old turkish mauser? It i stuck on their very tight. I fina;;y figured how to take the bolt apart. and I plan on rebuilding it with a newer barrel for better accuracy. Any infor would help
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 5:21:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Yep.  You'll need a barrel vise and receiver wrench.  You can buy them at Brownells, Midway, and other places...or take the rifle to a gunsmith and have him remove the barrel.  I'm in the process of rebarreling three Turk mausers and yes, the old barrels are stuck on tight.

If you're buying a pre-threaded replacement barrel, you should know that many of the Turk mausers are large ring receivers with small ring thread dimensions.  Double check your receiver before you order a barrel, or you may have to get it rethreaded.

Good luck with your project.

Link Posted: 9/20/2002 10:40:16 PM EDT
[#2]
If you’re going to toss the barrel, you can make it easier to remove by the following:

With a hacksaw, cut a groove all the way around the barrel within maybe a 1/32nd to a 1/16th inch of where the barrel butts up against the receiver.  Obviously, you don’t cut into the receiver at all.  

Make the groove about as deep or just a little deeper than the contact area between the barrel and the receiver (maybe 3/16th inch, I forget!).

This groove will relieve some of the side pressure.  However, some Turkish Mausers have a recessed barrel seat in the receiver – this may not be so helpful if you’ve got one of those.

If you don’t use a barrel wrench as mentioned by Yankee1911, you stand a chance of warping the receiver!

See also:  [url]www.brownells.com/mausers.htm[/url] for a great article on rebarrelling Turkish Mausers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top