Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2014 6:14:57 PM EDT
So I have nobody to mooch off of this year and at 50 something years old it's just me and my son.  Don't ask me how but I ended up with a 19 pound turkey to cook on my own.  Me, the son and dog will eat good if somebody can help me out.  It's about thawed but I'm getting so many different pieces of advice I don't know what to do.  I can cook everything else but never stuffed a bird in the oven.

One person told me put it in at 475 for 20 minutes then 250 for 6hrs and 20 minutes

Somebody else said 450 for 2 hours and then 375 for 6 to 7 hours unil the bird is about 170 degrees and yes I have a meat thermometer.  Help me arfcom so I can at least make a turkey that isn't dried out and me and my son can have turkey day...

Edit:  Shit i never even looked to see if there was a cooking thread....

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 6:20:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I have nobody to mooch off of this year and at 50 something years old it's just me and my son.  Don't ask me how but I ended up with a 19 pound turkey to cook on my own.  Me, the son and dog will eat good if somebody can help me out.  It's about thawed but I'm getting so many different pieces of advice I don't know what to do.  I can cook everything else but never stuffed a bird in the oven.

One person told me put it in at 475 for 20 minutes then 250 for 6hrs and 20 minutes

Somebody else said 450 for 2 hours and then 375 for 6 to 7 hours unil the bird is about 170 degrees and yes I have a meat thermometer.  Help me arfcom so I can at least make a turkey that isn't dried out and me and my son can have turkey day...

View Quote

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=19+pound+turkey+cooking+time
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 6:42:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I tried that already but you win the turd of the thread award for today.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:08:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:14:00 PM EDT
[#4]
15 MINUTES FOR EVERY POUND OF MEAT...BREAST TO 160-165- THIGHS TO 175-185 DEGREES...
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:20:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congratulations on your award!
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:24:18 PM EDT
[#6]

If your worried about drying it out stuff an onion up its ass and inject it also.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:26:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
15 MINUTES FOR EVERY POUND OF MEAT...BREAST TO 160-165- THIGHS TO 175-185 DEGREES...
View Quote

30-40 minutes per pound in the smoker.  Just sayin.  It ain't rocket surgery.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:30:03 PM EDT
[#8]
My turkey is 3 minutes per pound.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:39:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok, serious answer here. Go to the store and find the section where they have aluminum foil, etc.  Look for "Reynolds Cooking Bags" or "Oven Bags" forget what they are called, turkey size. Easy as anything and comes out good. Make sure you have a good pan too. Instructions are in side the box.  
Follow the directions and you can't mess it up.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:40:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I do breast side down at 300 for 2hrs. Flip her over at go for another 2hrs. Raise the temp to 350 until the center has a temp of at least 160. low & slow.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:46:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll hot smoke mine for about 14 minutes per pound.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:47:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:47:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Well,

Google brining turkey and brine that beast right now.  While it is brining go to the store and buy a digital thermometer.  Tomorrow, pull out of brine, pat dry.  Put a sliced up orange in the cavity.  Skip the stuffing in the bird.  Using some cotton string wrap the legs and wings tightly to the rest of the bird.

I use my Weber bbq.  For a 18-20 lb bird I haven't cooked one for more than four hours.  The important thing is ignore the 165-175 over cooked temps unless you like dried out turkey.  Cook until the deep part of the breast is 150 or so.  Pull off, cover with foil and rest for a while before cutting.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:00:11 PM EDT
[#14]
325 degrees.

Tent it with loosely folded tin foil.  Remove within about 45 minutes of it being done (or vice-versa).

To prep it, remember to take the organs out of the neck area and the neck out of the body before cooking.

After washing, slather it with butter and then add lemon, salt, some seasonings (like thyme and rosemary) in the carcass with the left-over lemon.

Once in the oven, leave it be.  DO NOT open the oven over and over.

Here is more information and a video:

Eric  
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:00:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Ok, serious answer here. Go to the store and find the section where they have aluminum foil, etc.  Look for "Reynolds Cooking Bags" or "Oven Bags" forget what they are called, turkey size. Easy as anything and comes out good. Make sure you have a good pan too. Instructions are in side the box.  

View Quote

+1

That's what I did with 2 turkeys I got on sale after Thanksgiving last year.  They came out great.  Then I shredded them and froze the meat for later use.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:02:48 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

Works every time you properly stick/position the digital thermometer probe into the sweater meat.

BTW, fuck evil canola oil.  Go grapeseed/avocado/light olive oil from someone respected.

161 degrees F, live it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:08:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Are not instructions printed on the wrapper?
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:17:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Are not instructions printed on the wrapper?
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:46:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Deep frying is the only way to cook a turkey.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:32:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Google Alton Brown turkey. Enjoy
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:35:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

RFA.  That's wRong Fucking Answer to those in Rio Linda.

BUTT!!! It is one of the many PERFECT ways to enjoy that bird.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:40:51 PM EDT
[#22]
When your thermometer reads 165 in the thickest part of the dark meat.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:41:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is excellent advice for someone starting out.  

I did this years ago when I started cooking turkeys for Thanksgiving and Xmas after I got married.  Worked great every single time.  Nowadays, we fry our turkeys but for a first timer, the cooking bags and directions are the way to go.

Good luck OP!!!!!  We're rooting for you!

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:42:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Got a 14.5lb turkey, will smoke at 325-350 for around 3.5hrs.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:50:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote

Fryer for the fuckin win.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 10:00:33 PM EDT
[#26]
In the oven, 325F for 4 1/2 hours. Unstuffed. You can do it an the oven bag if you want to, remove the neck and giblets from the inside. Check for done-ness the leg should be 'falling off' and no blood oozing when you stab it. Let it "rest" or 20 minutes afte you remove it from oven.  

Deep frying it is good,  but too late for that if you havnt got the equipment and oil yet.

You are going to have turkey sammiches for a long time with  19 lb bird.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 10:30:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Call Butterball.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 10:36:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I do 4 minutes per pound.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:02:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

You should far less time cooking turkey and spend more time doing, oh I don't know, maybe posting the fucking video!
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:18:28 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

The gold standard.  The guy even got me to try cooking the stuffing out of the bird!

If your oven isn't super clean, be ready to crack a window if you start getting some smoke from that 500 degree oven during the first roasting.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:01:44 PM EDT
[#31]

1 (18 pound) whole turkey, neck and giblets removed
2 cups kosher salt
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 large onions, peeled and chopped
4 carrots, peeled and chopped
4 stalks celery, chopped
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
1 cup dry white wine

Rub the turkey inside and out with the kosher salt. Place the bird in a large stock pot, and cover with cold water. Place in the refrigerator, and allow the turkey to soak in the salt and water mixture 12 hours, or overnight.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Thoroughly rinse the turkey, and discard the brine mixture.

.Brush the turkey with 1/2 the melted butter. Place breast side down on a roasting rack in a shallow roasting pan. Stuff the turkey cavity with 1 onion, 1/2 the carrots, 1/2 the celery, 1 sprig of thyme, and the bay leaf. Scatter the remaining vegetables and thyme around the bottom of the roasting pan, and cover with the white wine.

Roast uncovered for about an hour 3 1/2 to 4 hours in the preheated oven, until the internal temperature of the thigh reaches 180 degrees F (85 degrees C). Carefully turn the turkey breast side up about 2/3 through the roasting time, and brush with the remaining butter. Allow the bird to stand about 30 minutes before carving.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:15:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Cook until breast is 170.  Done
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Microwave it 3 hours and boil for 5.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:21:50 PM EDT
[#34]

Rub da bird in butter, salt, pepper and sage.

Rub da bird in butter, salt, pepper and sage.

Quarter 2 apples and cut several pieces of celery. Put into body cavity.

Slide bird into a brown paper grocery bag and close the end.

Slide sack into second sack and place in a roaster pan.

Into a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes per pound.

The breast meat will be moist and juicy....and you can thank me later.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:24:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Just tried the spotlick (or whatever it's called) method. Slice the bird down the middle. You may need a bone saw at some point or get aggressive with a serrated knife. Fold over and place breast side up. Press heavily until relatively flat. Slather on 1/4 cup of olive oil that's had coarse salt, pepper, garlic and basil mixed in. Place in 475 oven for about 1 hr. 15 minutes. Periodically baste with juices.

This is the first year I've tried this and this year's turkey was the best I've ever had.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:25:21 PM EDT
[#36]

Please watch this.
I am dismayed that it took this many replies before someone brought up the esteemed Mr. Brown.  

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:25:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

THIS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top