Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2005 12:10:38 AM EDT
The post on the engine that cost 22K started this post, but this "project" I've been thinking of for a long time.

I'll say it, most who read this will ask, "Why?" or say "Just change engines, it's easier, cheaper....."

I figure I'll ask the "hive" mind....see if anything comes up.

Project Name:  4.9L Inline 6 Intercooled(?) Turbo
Engine: 4.9L (300CID) Inline 6 Ford
Year: 83
Trans: C6 Auto

I've found one or two other forums dedicated to turbos and/or Fords.  And there are some out ther who have done this-though getting details is someone difficult.  I'm sure that th vast knowledge of AR.com, someone has done something similar & can comment.

I'm still in the RnD phase.  Granted, I have a motor ready to be assembled (found a rebuilt cheap-major rebuilder too).  Figure I'd attatch everything to it and swap the old one out when the new is ready.  Planning to order a book I found on how to turbo things......  The engine is built to stock specs, just a rebuilt.  Not sure on the compression....

Any how, I've thought about using later fuel injected exahust maniforlds since they are a two peice design and are not connected to the intake like the old carburated ones.  I figure that w/ the two peice (front and back) sytle, one can make an Y adapter to connect it to the turbo.  The intake, I was thinking of using the generic 4 barrel types that are out there (JC Whitney sells them).

I've heard of two type of systems:  Blow through and draw type.  The draw type, I've heard need soemthing to warm the air a bit or carb icing happens.  Plus, w/ a draw through system, someone said that fuel gos through the turbo unlike blow thorugh- and little drops hitting the turbine scares some people.  So I'm leaning through blow through.  But, it requires a special carb (or one built for blow through).  A parts man buddy suggested some kind of 4 barrel carb that didn't dump fuel...so at mild throttle, it wouldn't eat gas.  Someone suggested a throttle body convertion..... (this is going to be a dailer driver...don't want icing to happen in winter...)

So the plumbing would go something like this:
intake filter-turbo-(intercooler, maybe)-carb-manifold.

I've seen that the vacuum for the brakes and other stuff is connected to the air intake before the turbo-where there is actually a vacuum!  If need be, I could put a small reservor tank like on medium duty trucks and a check valve (I have a C750 for cab-over that I was looking at for ideas).

Timing- ah yes.  It seems, that the timing usually has to be retarted a bit.  I'm fortunate(?) that I'm using a non computerized engine.  Looking online someone suggested an MSD ignition that has a boost sensor connection (so it can retard timing).

Turbo- I've read people have used doner turbos from other vehicals.  Have seen links to sites that show how to select a turbo (if you buy program).  Other places say they can help you select the turbo for application-some have a built in wast gate.  I was thinking of a mild boost of say 10psi max-it's a stock engine.

Fuel-  Not sure if a mechanical will work or if an electric w/ vaiable pressure is required.  I suppose it depnds on the fuel system (be in carb or TBI).  Suggestions?

Costs (guestimation):
intake: 250
turbo:500
ignition system: 500
intercooler/piping:350
carb/EFI(?):600/1200

Have I gone off the deep end...... possibly......
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:18:02 AM EDT
[#1]
If you haven't looked at this site check it out.   www.ford-trucks.com
The have a forum for the inline 6 cylinder. Maybe someone there has done a turbo six.
The Ford 300 is a  great motor. Ford screwed up dropping it. I had a 300 in my old F250.
I had heard that some company was rebilding the 300 six into a diesel motor to power generator sets.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:31:15 AM EDT
[#2]
TONS of good info here:

Turbo Mustangs.com

Biggest thing is getting the carb to work as a blow-through. You will need a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator and a little internal work to the carb.

I have a '86 Buick T-type (fuel injected turbo) so my knowledge of blow-through setups is very limited.
There is plenty of info on turbomustangs.com....   I'm sure you can find everything you need to know on that site....

You CAN make it work...  I remember seeing pics somewhere of an older Mustang with a turbocharged 200cu inline six....
Good luck !
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:49:52 AM EDT
[#3]
tag
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:30:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Do it!

The 300 is an excellent motor to turbo.

You might consider running propane instead of gasoline. Most propane carbs will work just fine in a blow through install. It will also work fine in a draw through, because it is already vapor by the time it gets to the carb. No droplets to meet the impeller.

The fact propane is approx. 104-108 octane, an intercooler is really not needed, unless you want an insane amount of boost.  

I converted an '82 Mustang to propane about 12 years ago, and it runs fine today. With 14 lbs. of boost from a ATI procharger, it runs really well.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:02:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been to those two sites already..... maybe I'm just 20 years too late (as most of the posts deal w/ computer controled engines.....).  It's amazing about that one person who used a 6.5L(?) Chev diesel turbo on his I6 4.9L WITH OUT  a wast gate!  Though he had to put 302 fuel injectors and mess w/ the timing.

I haven't been reading there that long..... maybe I'm unlucky in how I search the Mustang site.  But on the Ford Truck site, I'm already registered (different user name then here) been doing lots of reading.... but the online info is sketchy....so I think I'll buy that book I found online.

Just a matter of more info, getting parts and assembeling the beast......

fook,

Ya know of any online sites that sells turbo stuff.  I've found Turbo City and a few others....but their info online (or what I found) was sketchy).
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:07:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The post on the engine that cost 22K started this post, but this "project" I've been thinking of for a long time.

I'll say it, most who read this will ask, "Why?" or say "Just change engines, it's easier, cheaper....."

I figure I'll ask the "hive" mind....see if anything comes up.

Project Name:  4.9L Inline 6 Intercooled(?) Turbo
Engine: 4.9L (300CID) Inline 6 Ford
Year: 83
Trans: C6 Auto

I've found one or two other forums dedicated to turbos and/or Fords.  And there are some out ther who have done this-though getting details is someone difficult.  I'm sure that th vast knowledge of AR.com, someone has done something similar & can comment.

I'm still in the RnD phase.  Granted, I have a motor ready to be assembled (found a rebuilt cheap-major rebuilder too).  Figure I'd attatch everything to it and swap the old one out when the new is ready.  Planning to order a book I found on how to turbo things......  The engine is built to stock specs, just a rebuilt.  Not sure on the compression....

Any how, I've thought about using later fuel injected exahust maniforlds since they are a two peice design and are not connected to the intake like the old carburated ones.  I figure that w/ the two peice (front and back) sytle, one can make an Y adapter to connect it to the turbo.  The intake, I was thinking of using the generic 4 barrel types that are out there (JC Whitney sells them).

I've heard of two type of systems:  Blow through and draw type.  The draw type, I've heard need soemthing to warm the air a bit or carb icing happens.  Plus, w/ a draw through system, someone said that fuel gos through the turbo unlike blow thorugh- and little drops hitting the turbine scares some people.  So I'm leaning through blow through.  But, it requires a special carb (or one built for blow through).  A parts man buddy suggested some kind of 4 barrel carb that didn't dump fuel...so at mild throttle, it wouldn't eat gas.  Someone suggested a throttle body convertion..... (this is going to be a dailer driver...don't want icing to happen in winter...)

So the plumbing would go something like this:
intake filter-turbo-(intercooler, maybe)-carb-manifold.

I've seen that the vacuum for the brakes and other stuff is connected to the air intake before the turbo-where there is actually a vacuum!  If need be, I could put a small reservor tank like on medium duty trucks and a check valve (I have a C750 for cab-over that I was looking at for ideas).

Timing- ah yes.  It seems, that the timing usually has to be retarted a bit.  I'm fortunate(?) that I'm using a non computerized engine.  Looking online someone suggested an MSD ignition that has a boost sensor connection (so it can retard timing).

Turbo- I've read people have used doner turbos from other vehicals.  Have seen links to sites that show how to select a turbo (if you buy program).  Other places say they can help you select the turbo for application-some have a built in wast gate.  I was thinking of a mild boost of say 10psi max-it's a stock engine.

Fuel-  Not sure if a mechanical will work or if an electric w/ vaiable pressure is required.  I suppose it depnds on the fuel system (be in carb or TBI).  Suggestions?

Costs (guestimation):
intake: 250
turbo:500
ignition system: 500
intercooler/piping:350
carb/EFI(?):600/1200

Have I gone off the deep end...... possibly......

Dude, been there done that. It is currently running in my father-in-law's 76 Ford F350. Runs like a scaled cat. What do you need to know? We have done everything twice to get it right. Planerench, over.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:21:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Here is the laundry list on our project
Engine was out of an '86.
Turbo; Rayjay with an A/R ratio of .5; blow through configuration.
Carb; Holley 350cfm two barrel. I will have to check on the jets (72?) and power valve (.5 in?). Sorry, its been a while since I set the carb up.
Wastegate; NONE. The carb is small enough to limit the total boost to 8PSI
fuel pump; 15 psi mechanical from a small block chevy with the pump arm modified to the same angle as the stock Ford pump.
Camshaft; 5500rpm mid range
Intercooler; Bell core 3.5X6X16
Pistons; 400 Ford full dish net 6.2:1 compression. Trust me on this one.
Ignition; stock. Route the vacuum advance to the upper deck. When the system goes positive the timing will retard to the base setting of 8 degrees BTC. This is not perfect and you could get it better with some work on the dyno but it does work without pinging on regular gas.
Manifolds; intake is machined to accept a two barrel adapter. Exhaust; I'll have to send you pictures. We used silica bronze to weld on a flange right into the collector of the old style exhaust manifold. It looks sweet and the outlet is the same bore diameter of the turbo inlet. Neither the old or fuel injected manifolds will have large enough outlets. The fuel injected manifolds are free-er flowing but the turbo ends up way downstream of the exhaust.
Exhaust is 2.75" right out to the muffler out of a powerstroke wreck.

This rig will pull with or slightly outpull a stock Cummins turbo diesel Dodge and sound sweet while doing it. At idle, with the super low compression it will swish at 450 rpm like a sewing machine and you can hold a conversation at normal volume while looking at the running engine. From 40 feet away you cannot even hear it running. It was a long ordeal to get it right but was well worth the effort.

Get me an E-mail address and I'll take some photos for you. Planerench out.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:52:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Sweet!

I'm planning to run a stock rebuilt engine- so I'm not familar w/ what they have for compresion on a stock engine.

I'll send ya an email....

edit-
As I'm still learning....

What is A/R ratio? never mind...found a site that talks about it...

Did you have to modify the carb for blow through?  I've been reading that it has to be modified to accept positive pressure....

Rayjay turbo- umm..... say company is out of California.  But something else said they were bought out....

oh heck....I know I'll have more Q's eventually....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top