Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 11/2/2004 3:21:32 PM EST
Considering buying a 05 Tundra V8 4x4. TRD, SR5.
Anyone got horror stories about Tunrda pickups?
Do you tow anything?
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 3:25:49 PM EST
I have a friend that has owned one since 2001. He loves it. A very dependable truck.

I personally like a larger truck, both inside and out. You can't beat that Toyota build quality, though.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 3:25:57 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 3:28:09 PM EST
I have a 2003 SR5 4x4 Access Cab, No issues...I love it.
I had a 1979 Toyota hilux4x4...just as great

I would go for the 4 door though....

Has been used to tow by Brother-in-laws boat...no issues

Overall good truck
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 3:29:07 PM EST
They are the most reliable full size. However, they can be underpowered compared to the competition. THey are a great truck. Made in the USA.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 3:29:13 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/2/2004 3:31:09 PM EST by Polyak]
I've got an '01 4x4 Access Cab with 51,000 miles that I bought new. It's been a very good truck to me. I don't really tow anything so I really can't comment on that. The power with that small V8 is quite impressive though ( even with the slightly larger tires I put on ). Plus, it's a Toyota, great overall quality and dependability, and the resale on them looks real good too.

The talk I've heard is that the new bigger V8 might be out next fall, for the '06 truck, and then the redesigned Tundra in the fall of '06 for the '07 year.

There is a good Tundra forum over @ www.tundrasolutions.com
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 3:30:35 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 3:33:59 PM EST
Tundra is suppose to come out with a V8 diesel option next year I heard.

That might make that truck very competitive for power.

Anyone else hear that?

*sorry for the minor hijack.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 3:41:15 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 3:48:09 PM EST
Slacker,

I owned a 2002 tundra, my advise is to run, not walk away. I had problems upon problems, most having to do with the suspension/brakes. The truck would go through rotors like nobody's business. It was constanly in the shop for brake work and I did not drive it hard. I am not the only one with this problem, it has been the topic of disscussion quite a few times on the toyota sites. I used it more like a car, I didn't need to haul trailers or carry heavy loads. I also had the truck in the shop after the four wheel drive puked out. That was an expensive repair that took a while. Also, the tundra's are having problems with spindles breaking, there is most likely going to be a recall from the sounds of it. I wound up dealing a lot with toyota customer service on my warrantee and let me tell you that they could have cared less. Based on my experience and finding out that they give large payouts to jesse jackson, I will NEVER purchase another toyota again.

I just bought a new F150 with the 5.4 a few months back and I am very happy with it. Zero problems, nice fit and finish, and it gets better gas milage then the smaller tundra.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 3:51:22 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/2/2004 3:51:42 PM EST by Lumpy196]
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 3:53:18 PM EST
I have a 2000 Access Cab. 91,000 miles since bought new. I just had my first "unplanned service repair" last month. I got a "check engine" light while driving and had the wife take it to our local dealer the next morning. Turned out to be an O2 sensor failure.

The dealer checked and found a service advisory/recall on them and decided to replace both sides no charge. While they were removing them, they broke one off and wound up replacing the whole manifold assembly no charge. Got it back washed and clean that afternoon.

Other than one battery at 80,000 miles and three and half years, one set of front brakes at 70,000 miles, and oil/filter at every 3,000, it has been flawless. I towed a 6x10 box trailer to Camp Perry from Texas this year and had no problems other than a sharp decrease in mileage, from 18 to 13. All in all, I don't think I can wait another 8 years before I get a new one. The next one will be a four door though.

This is the second Toyota I have owned, the first was a 1989 XtraCab with 225,000 that I just got bored of driving. A neighbor down the street bought it about three hours after I washed and waxed it and parked it on the curb. Got $3000 for a used 12 year old truck. He still has it and has put another 15,000 miles on it without missing a beat. That truck will reach 300,000 without problems.

Sold on Toyota,
Doug Giraud
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 1:11:23 AM EST
My Taco has 155,000 and I need a bigger truck to tow with. The Taco hasn't cost me a dime since I bought it with 40,000 miles. I think Toyota makes a great small pickup, but I'm not yet sold on the full size Tundra's.
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 1:29:10 AM EST
The Toyota V8 is pretty gutless. If you want to tow anything even reasonably sized, buy something else. If it is just a daily driver, the Tundra is about like any other light-line truck.
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 1:35:58 AM EST
I have an 03 2WD. By far my favorite truck that I have ever owned. I highly reccomend.
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 4:56:32 AM EST

Originally Posted By Redcap:
The Toyota V8 is pretty gutless. If you want to tow anything even reasonably sized, buy something else. If it is just a daily driver, the Tundra is about like any other light-line truck.

The specs say the 05' Tundra has 282 HP with the 4.7L V8.
The 05' Chevy 1500 uses a 5.3-liter, V8, 295-horsepower engine.
The Tundra is supposidly capable of hauling up to 2025 pounds or towing up to 7100.
13 HP difference isn't much. Mabey its in the gearing and tranny where the chevy feels like it has more balls.
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 5:09:27 AM EST

Originally Posted By Slacker:

Originally Posted By Redcap:

The specs say the 05' Tundra has 282 HP with the 4.7L V8.
The 05' Chevy 1500 uses a 5.3-liter, V8, 295-horsepower engine.
The Tundra is supposidly capable of hauling up to 2025 pounds or towing up to 7100.
13 HP difference isn't much. Mabey its in the gearing and tranny where the chevy feels like it has more balls.

Towing is not about HP. It's about torque. Compare the torque figures if towing/hauling is your concern. That said, I can't say enough good things about Toyota, their engineering, and their build quality. I've never known a Toyota owner who didn't absolutely love their cars, except for one with an old busted ass celica that he dogged and never took care of.

I know a guy with a 500HP MKIII 1986 Turbo Supra that's still going strong. And the 2JZ-GTE powered MKIV Supras come stock with 276 HP, but are capable of making over 600HP on a stock bottom end. Their engines are rock solid.

Tangent: Rumor has it that Toyata is currently doing extreme weather testing in CA on what will be the next Supra. There will be two models, a Tundra V8 powered base model, and a super or turbocharged Tundra v8 model as the top of the line. It would seem to make sense, because Toyota is getting heavily involved in motorsports without having a real sports car to sell. The MR2 and Celica were the sportiest offerings they made, but weren't sports cars at all.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 5:12:44 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/3/2004 5:14:06 AM EST by Oilhead]

Originally Posted By Slacker:Anyone got horror stories about Tunrda pickups?

Come on, it's a toyota....

Seriously, I have a 2003 limited access cab and it's a great truck. My brother-in-law has a 2000 SR5 with 80k on it and never had a problem other than an 02 sensor that needed to be replaced.

Highest resale in it's class and the 4.7 puts out a lot of power for it's size. I wouldn't listen to the chatter about it being low on power, I've towed with it and it does excellent. I've owned Chevy's in the past and always had gripes with the transmission never being able to find the right gear going up inclines. I understand GM corrected this in the HD models with the Allison tranny.

I've also heard great things about the smoothness of the 5 speed auto in the 05's.

As someone pointed out earlier, Tundrasolutions.com is an excellent resource for the Tundra owner. I have a Unichip, headers, TRD duals, LSD, and some other go fast goodies that make my truck more appealing. If money was no object, I'd spring for the TRD supercharger and a TT supra fuel pump and have some fun with the local Ford Lightning owners.
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 6:15:14 AM EST
You may want to take a look at the '05 Tacoma, almost the same size as the current Tundra, 250 hp V6.
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 6:23:57 AM EST
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 6:27:46 AM EST
OK, I know people will look odd at me, but here goes.

There are few makers of things that I trust to make a good product.

Toyota is one of them. I would buy another toyota pickup sight unseen because they simply make a good vehicle.
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 6:31:50 AM EST
My grandfather has one and he sure seems to enjoy it. He's been a Toyota man for decades now.
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 6:31:56 AM EST
Top Top