Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2002 4:06:14 AM EDT
As it was a Sleepless night last night, I downloaded and installed Netscape 6.2 to upgrade from Netscape Communicator 4.7.

It seems to have installed all right, but the first screen that comes up is the "activation" screen, and it gives an Alert:  The Connection Was Refused When Attempting To Contact Activation.Netscape.Com.  

I can start 6.2 after that, and whenever I type in a URL, it gives the same Alert but ending in the website address.  

Netscape 4.7 still works fine, AOL connects via a Dial-UP (I use a DSL "always on" line for Netscape 4.7 and Internet Explorer).  All of the other means of connection work fine, and even leaving one or more open while trying to start 6.2 doesn't help.

Any Suggestions??

Link Posted: 1/14/2002 4:15:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I tried N 6.0 . . . or 6.1,  I forget which.
It was a mess.
Whata piece of crap.
Went back to N 4.7 and Exploder.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 5:01:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I tried N 6.0 . . . or 6.1,  I forget which.
It was a mess.
Whata piece of crap.
Went back to N 4.7 and Exploder.
View Quote

I tried switching over to Netscape and found it so much slower I couldn't stand it. This was whatever version that came out about a year ago.

Sorry I can't help you with your problem other than to suggest you download Explorer.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 6:00:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 6:28:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Netscape 6.x is not an upgrade from Netscape 4.7.  It is a totally different piece of software.  It was developed by a different group of developers under a different development model.  Everybody I know who has tried it, including myself, has had so much trouble with it that they gave up on it.  Do yourself a favor and stick with version 4.7.  At least it is a mature product.  Version 6.x is a brand new product and that is reflected in its extreme bugginess.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 6:57:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Try to stay away from Nutscrape...Exploder works better for me!
I am still on a Dino dial up modem and everything is painstakingly slow!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 7:58:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I abandoned Netscape for Explorer a couple of years ago and have lived happily ever after. Well, almost...
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 8:11:35 AM EDT
[#7]
WHY in the world would anyone use Netscape over the far superior Internet Explorer? Explorer is faster and more reliable. Also, there are LOTS of sites on the net that won't even run using Netscape.
I thought the people here were smarter than that.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:35:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Try Opera
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:50:29 AM EDT
[#9]
My wife insists on using Nutscrape.  I just downloaded 6.2 for her.  During the install process, it hung up on installing the java plug-in, but appears to be running fine.  The really irritating part is that it puts shortcuts and bookmarks for AOL all over your frigging computer!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top