Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2011 10:56:30 AM EDT
Am currently with BOA who I have never liked, but I do like their online banking.  Trying to decide between Wells Fargo, Chase, Numerica (credit union) or Student Teacher Credit Union. Have heard good things about all of them.  This would only be a Checking Account, of which 90% would be used for the debit card and online bill paying.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:01:44 AM EDT
[#1]
USAA
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:02:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

USAA

He may not be a military/gov employee.

I would go with a local credit union, screw the big banks and their fee's!

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:06:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
USAA

I am not gov so no soup for me. I am leaning towards a credit union as long as their online banking is good. That is typically their weak point IMO.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:07:46 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

USAA

I am not gov so no soup for me. I am leaning towards a credit union as long as their online banking is good. That is typically their weak point IMO.

What state are you in?

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:10:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
USAA

Banking

Who can have an account at USAA Federal Savings Bank?

Anyone can open a deposit account at USAA Federal Savings Bank. This includes checking, savings and CD accounts. Our lending products, including credit cards and loans, are currently available to members who are eligible for our auto/property insurance.

You only have to be .mil/.gov to get insurance.

http://www.budgetsaresexy.com/2009/09/usaa-now-open-to-non-military-folk/
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:14:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
USAA

What state are you in?  

Idaho/Eastern Wa area
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:25:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
USAA

Banking

Anyone can open a deposit account at USAA Federal Savings Bank. This includes checking, savings and CD accounts. Our lending products, including credit cards and loans, are currently available to members who are eligible for our auto/property insurance.

it took me several times to sign up, it kept telling me i was ineligible, until finally i found a link that worked, i created a user account and everything, and it allowed me to apply for a checking account...

i am an NFCU member and they moved right down the street so it's not really an issue anymore...
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:26:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
USAA

Banking

This sounds dumb but how do you make deposits other than ATM?  That the only way?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:27:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
USAA

Banking

This sounds dumb but how do you make deposits other than ATM?  That the only way?

if you're eligible, i believe you need a credit card with them, you can use their mobile app or a scanner, to take a photo or scan a check to deposit it... their mobile app is awesome... my friend was home on leave and showed me the check deposit thing with his iphone.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:31:47 AM EDT
[#10]
One of the credit unions.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:32:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
USAA

Charles Schwab has been a good alternative to me so far.  The lack of convenience with deposits is probably the only qualm I have, but it's not a big deal since I kept my Chase account that I hate and only use ot for depositing checks and then transferring most of the money over to the Schwab account.  From the ratings I've read and my experience so far compared to my friend's experience with USAA, they are not far behind USAA.  Their customer service was great and I actually got to speak to an American.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:36:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I would go local credit union. I use both a CU and Chase, due to the same reason as you, My credit unions online sucks
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:40:44 AM EDT
[#13]
US Bank has always been good to me.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:43:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
US Bank has always been good to me.

+1
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:43:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
USAA

I do like their banking, but alot of people can't join them.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:44:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Look into ING Direct's Electric Orange account.  If you don't write many paper checks, it might be a good option.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:44:36 AM EDT
[#17]
I have been happy with both = USAA & BBVA Compass
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:47:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have been happy with both = USAA & BBVA Compass

Same here.

I think you'll find haters no matter what bank you name, but to me they're all a necessary evil.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:15:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
USAA

I do like their banking, but alot of people can't join them.

Try reading.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:49:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
One of the credit unions.

+1. Something I like about the credit unions around here is their shared banking. No atm fees when using any CU atm, regardless which one you belong too. Also, you can go into any credit union and do your banking. Doesn't have to be the same one your account is at. No problem with online banking with mine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top