Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2015 2:58:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/2/2015 3:09:52 AM EDT by azmp5]
So im looking to upgrade my very cheap sound system. mainly cause it was one of those cheap home theater in a box ones and the speaker/power system went tits up.   Im not trying to go super crazy / fancy.  I am trying to keep this around $2000.  anything i could "save" on that would be better or if i have something that just sucks, please point it out.  

Onkyo TX-NR646 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver
2x Klipsch KF-28  as the left and right  (or the  R-28F if its worth the extra $$)
1x Klipsch R-25c as the center
1x Bic Acoustech PL-200 Subwoofer
2x Polk Audio MC60  

the Polk Audio MC60 is a maybe part.  reason is my home was the "show house" so there is 2 6.5 inch speakers that were used for the intercom system to link the 3 total show houses.  anywho, i checked it out and these speakers would fit.  im just town between if i want to use these as my ear speakers or should i look for some other speakers as the rear and use these as a mid (as in 7.1 surround sound vs 5.1).  

I do realize it would mean i would have to run wires through the ceiling, but if i have to for the rear speakers, i might as well do it for the mc60 roof speakers)

EDIT:  

i forgot to mention, i have also looked at this setup with the above receiver.  Klipsch
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 2:49:32 AM EDT

As for speakers, check out the new ELAC line.  You'll find some great reviews on the net.

http://elac.us/speakers/
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:52:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/25/2016 5:08:46 PM EDT by jbooker82]
How is the current placement of the in celing speakers for use as surrounds or rear surrounds. If the placement isn't very good I wouldn't use them.  If the placement is ok id probably go with a set of Klipsch in ceiling speaker. Preferably one from the same series as the Left, Center, and Right speakers. That way you don't get a change it tone sound as it moves from speaker to speaker. If you have the difference in cash Id go with the Referance. How much are your are you really going to spend on this setup? If you are going big towers is there any chance of adding an external amp later on down the road? If so your current onkyo receiver will need up graded. You will need one with analog pre outputs. Some older 7 series has them but the newer ones you have to step up to a 8 series to get them.

Accessories 4 Less is a good place to save some cash if your willing to go with a refurbished avr.

Something like this 828
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxnr828/onkyo-tx-nr828-7.2-network-a/v-receiver-wi-fi/bluetooth/1.html

or the 838
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxnr838/onkyo-tx-nr838-7.2-atmos-network-a/v-receiver-hdmi-2.0-wi-fi/bluetooth/1.html
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 7:52:15 PM EDT
Try, Safe & Sound Audio. Call them for special a, I got a nib Denon, for the same price as a refurbished from A4L.

I liked the Onkoyo, but went with Denon because all the inputs are HDCO 2.2, and the Onkoyo only had 2 HDCP inputs.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 1:27:28 AM EDT
Originally Posted By azmp5:
So im looking to upgrade my very cheap sound system. mainly cause it was one of those cheap home theater in a box ones and the speaker/power system went tits up.   Im not trying to go super crazy / fancy.  I am trying to keep this around $2000.  anything i could "save" on that would be better or if i have something that just sucks, please point it out.  

Onkyo TX-NR646 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver
2x Klipsch KF-28  as the left and right  (or the  R-28F if its worth the extra $$)
1x Klipsch R-25c as the center
1x Bic Acoustech PL-200 Subwoofer
2x Polk Audio MC60  

the Polk Audio MC60 is a maybe part.  reason is my home was the "show house" so there is 2 6.5 inch speakers that were used for the intercom system to link the 3 total show houses.  anywho, i checked it out and these speakers would fit.  im just town between if i want to use these as my ear speakers or should i look for some other speakers as the rear and use these as a mid (as in 7.1 surround sound vs 5.1).  

I do realize it would mean i would have to run wires through the ceiling, but if i have to for the rear speakers, i might as well do it for the mc60 roof speakers)

EDIT:  

i forgot to mention, i have also looked at this setup with the above receiver.  Klipsch
View Quote

Make sure whatever receiver you buy that it supports Hdmi 2.0/hdcp 2.2.  You will also want one that supports the newest audio formats like dolby atmos and DTS X.
Top Top