BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/3/2005 7:06:19 AM EDT
The calls started coming in Friday...

"Um what do I need to do to buy a gun?"

Now most gun dealers are used to such calls, I even get a few like that myself. But being as how I am a private dealer with no yellow page ad and a customer base that is about 80% regular repeat gun buyers I only get that kind of call when they refer a buddy to me.

Seems a LOT of their buddies are finding out how to get a gun lately.

Guys who used to laugh at GI Joe across the street are now taking him seriously. Now the dangerous white guy who for all they know is some kind of white supremecists is a prophet and genius prepared to deal with emergency situations.

People are asking these guys about their guns, and more importantly who "they" can get them.

And these are NOT your normal "new gun buyer" calls.

In fact it's almost like they are reading from the same script.

"What kind of licenses do I need to buy a gun?"

"I went to Wal-Mart but they don't have the kind of gun I want to buy."

"How many guns can I buy at one time?"

"Can I buy a handgun without a pistol permit?"

And 90% of them absolutely cannot resist the urge to blame the government. Almost every one of these guys says something like "Yeah, I need it in case the government decides to abandon me in the next disaster."

Now to be fair some of them just don't have a clue and I spent a good portion of Friday explaining that you don't need a license to buy a gun, you only need to pass a background check. I even met with several to help them select the best firearm for them. Most wanted shotguns or handguns but there are some new AR-15 owners in the mostly liberal Palm Beach area.

A couple of them even have a clue despite their left leaning politics. One guy in particular saw his new handgun as akin to the generator he bought. Something he simply "needs" in case of emergency and he made of point of scheduling some range time so I could go over the basics of gun safety and gneral firearms use with him - something I offer to all new gun buyers. He still thinks the Fed gov somehow is responsible for the storm but at least he is smart enough to recognize he may have to fend for himself one day.

On the opposite side of the spectrum there have been a few complete asshats (I'm guessing these are referals of the people referred to me by friends) who seem to feel persecuted by the fact that they are compelled to buy a gun because the government (read: Bush) doesn't give a shit about Americans and will abandon them. They acted like they were buying rattlesnakes which they would be forced to put in a childs crib someday to ensure their own survival. Some of the comments were so absolutely stupid I couldn't believe they came from the mouth of anyone older than 13. They also treated me like the local heroin dealer they were forced to buy a "fix" from so their loved one who is addicted through no fault of their own doesn't die. All these people have been referred to the local "retail +50%" cantankerous old fuck disgruntled gun shop owner I refer all my "clients I cannot help" to.

I did make a point of stressing the "background check" to these people and cited examples of things that would preclude legal gun ownership as participating in riots or violent demonstrations or having renounced your country. I'm thinking of making dummy 4473 forms that include the question "Are you a registered member of DemocraticUnderground.com?"

On the plus side a few liberals have waken up to the idea that they may just have to take care of their own powdery behind in a national disaster and have taken steps to do so. This means they won't be in the fucking way or just another dumbass who isn't prepared sucking up resources. It also means a few of them have adjusted their view of how they see some "gun folks." And there are even a few actual converts. After showing several SURs to one prospective buyer he replied "Geeze and I thought I was only gonna buy one."

But the one that was the most enjoybale to me was the 21 year old kid (not a liberal new gun buyer) who bought a HK USP40C a couple months ago. He returned with his girlfriend so she could pick up her own CCW handgun (for which she will get a carry permit for) and home defense shotgun. He also finally picked up an AR-15 for himself. I should mention this kid pays for his own stuff and works pretty hard for his money. She kept mentioning that he can't afford this and he kept saying "I don't care, there is no way I'm gonna end up like the people in New Orleans and I'm not gonna let that happen to you either."

Some days it's a lot of fun to be a gun dealer.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:12:20 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are seeing a spike in gun purchases in the last week working only in referals with new customers, i can't imagine the gun sales this week across the country.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:13:06 AM EDT
[#2]
This is good news, now we just need this to "trickle up" to the liberal reps and sens.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:15:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Geez that 21 year old kid sounds alot like somebody I knew.  About a year ago that kid was me.  Thank you for arming the sheep SteyrAug,  because 80% of them will never learn how to shoot that weapon nor will they care for it properly so when the hysteria dies down there are gonna be a whole lot of liberals sellings handguns and shotguns for dirt cheap.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:16:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I wonder how this will help Fineswine get another AWB passed.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:16:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:25:34 AM EDT
[#6]
What happened to DIAL 911?

Oh, yeah, no phone, no cell phone.

And no cops
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:28:19 AM EDT
[#7]
You know... I wouldn't mind workin for ya
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:28:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Hey, I wasn't a liberal (but was a sheeple by most peoples standards around here) before 9/11.

*THAT* was my wakeup call that .gov couldn't really do jack shit about protecting *ME*.  General welfare, yes.  Protect me as an individual, no.

I was always prepared to take care of myself, after all this *IS* earthquake country but the idea of needing a weapon wasn't part of that mix.

Now after seeing NOLA the idea of .gov even protecting the "general welfare" in times of major disaster is a pipe dream.

I found this place when searching for what I'd need to do in order to buy a gun.  Dumbshit me first thought about getting an AR.    Took me about 15 minutes on Google to realize just how far my "rights" had been flushed down the toilet (as a citizen of the United States and even more so as a resident of California)
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:30:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Steyr,
I'm really sorry your forced to sell those dangerous tools of evil to the good people of this country.
You know its a sad day when evil weapons of death have to be handed out to the masses so they can protect themselves.
We definately need to levy higher taxes to bolster our police forces. And we need more taxes to better prepare for disasters. And we need more taxes.......

Errr.....

Never mind.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:36:14 AM EDT
[#10]

I was in a friend's shop the other day.  Katrina + the start of dove season=VERY busy week!!

He expected to sell shotguns and light game loads, but when I was there, there were 4-5 people looking at just ARs!!

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:44:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
But the one that was the most enjoybale to me was the 21 year old kid (not a liberal new gun buyer) who bought a HK USP40C a couple months ago. He returned with his girlfriend so she could pick up her own CCW handgun (for which she will get a carry permit for) and home defense shotgun. He also finally picked up an AR-15 for himself. I should mention this kid pays for his own stuff and works pretty hard for his money. She kept mentioning that he can't afford this and he kept saying "I don't care, there is no way I'm gonna end up like the people in New Orleans and I'm not gonna let that happen to you either."

A 21 kid buy a AR and a USP?  I was poorer than a church rat at 21, I could barely afford to put gas in my car.

On related note, from another post on ARFCOM, most gun dealers are sold out of guns and ammo in a 200 mile radius of NOLA.

This debacle in NOLA has set the gun-banners back many, many years. The days the sheeple are believing the likes of Sarah Brady and liberal big city police chief saying that dial 911 and we will be there are over. Everybody now realizes that the 911 can be quickly overwhelmed.  Remember that the city of NOLA wanted to put those evil gun manufacturers out of business.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:46:18 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Hey, I wasn't a liberal (but was a sheeple by most peoples standards around here) before 9/11.

*THAT* was my wakeup call that .gov couldn't really do jack shit about protecting *ME*.  General welfare, yes.  Protect me as an individual, no.

I was always prepared to take care of myself, after all this *IS* earthquake country but the idea of needing a weapon wasn't part of that mix.

Now after seeing NOLA the idea of .gov even protecting the "general welfare" in times of major disaster is a pipe dream.

I found this place when searching for what I'd need to do in order to buy a gun.  Dumbshit me first thought about getting an AR.    Took me about 15 minutes on Google to realize just how far my "rights" had been flushed down the toilet (as a citizen of the United States and even more so as a resident of California)

I think a lot of us here started out as sheep, especially if we lived in the burbs or city.  My wakeup call was when I moved to Dallas and got a notice from my complex that there had been an armed robber nearby (this was my first time living in a big city).

Within the span of a year I went from sheeple to full-fledged gun nut.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:46:51 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Geez that 21 year old kid sounds alot like somebody I knew.  About a year ago that kid was me.  Thank you for arming the sheep SteyrAug,  because 80% of them will never learn how to shoot that weapon nor will they care for it properly so when the hysteria dies down there are gonna be a whole lot of liberals sellings handguns and shotguns for dirt cheap.

Or if the hysteria heats up again, there'll be a whole lot of scared and untrained gun owners running around shooting at everything that moves.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:59:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:01:28 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
SELL THEM TO THEM IF THEY ARE LEGAL!!!!!

the same thing occured here after 911. i was no longer the crazy gun guy but everyones new found best freind. They all went out and got high dollar stuff for the coming armeggedon.

6 months later they were right back to the GUNS ARE ICKY attitude and wanted to dump them for 1/2 price or less for a NIB unfired gun.

My gun collection thanks you for your efforts.

Hey Steyr, could you please try to sell them a few nice Kimbers so I can get and NIB unfired one for half price in a few months.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:09:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Some clueless people would think that a gun on their drawer is all the preparation they need, and when the SHTF, they will realize they can't eat bullets, so they will use the "tool" to procure them food and water...

Those are the most dangerous ones, as they will blame all they do on the "evil powers of the gun"

I've known libs that said to me "Guns are dangerous, if I'd get one, I'd want to go to my richer neighbour place and rob him"
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:15:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Funny this thread should pop up today , one of my anti gun secataries ask me what she needed to get a gun and how much were they. She even asked what SIZE she should get as in like big med or small lol
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:22:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Tagged.
I hit the gunshop yesterday thinking about a .357 and looking for a case of .223.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:32:15 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
SELL THEM TO THEM IF THEY ARE LEGAL!!!!!

the same thing occured here after 911. i was no longer the crazy gun guy but everyones new found best freind. They all went out and got high dollar stuff for the coming armeggedon.

6 months later they were right back to the GUNS ARE ICKY attitude and wanted to dump them for 1/2 price or less for a NIB unfired gun.

My gun collection thanks you for your efforts.

Hey Steyr, could you please try to sell them a few nice Kimbers so I can get and NIB unfired one for half price in a few months.  

So true its not even funny!  I bought my first AR a year after 9/11 for 1/2 price.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:36:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Ammo sales are going up also, So far the majority has been from the South but it is spreading North NorthWest.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:45:46 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
This is good news, now we just need this to "trickle up" to the liberal reps and sens.  

It's only good news if these folks KEEP this attitude.   I'm afraid this will be like the aftermath
of 9/11.  A temporary uptick then the standard sheeple complacency comes back in
a few months.  Hope not, but I have little faith in most of my "fellow Americans".
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:56:11 AM EDT
[#22]
You need to tack on a "stupid" fee.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:03:28 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a couple left leaning friends who may be looking at guns.

I'm also selling an SAR-1 I don't shoot or need.

If they want it, I'm adding a "bullshit tax" to it for all the nonsense rants I've been forced to argue with over the years, including the anti-gun ones. It's not like they know what a Romanian SAR-1 is worth anyway. And daddy needs a scope and BOB gear.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:12:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:14:52 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
You need to tack on a "stupid" fee.

Isn't that what "MSRP" is?  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:15:46 AM EDT
[#26]
The amazing part is how much the libs believe their own horseshit.

They honestly thought you could get something like a AK47 for about $100, even less since they don't want a fully automatic one. And they assumed most handguns are "saturday night specials" which go for about $50.00.

Had one guy who asked what he could get for $100 and I started telling him about accessories.

Many completely shit their pants to learn that a quality, dependable rifle starts at about $1,000.00. I told them to hold their breath and wait for the ice cream truck.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:24:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Typical anti gun brainwashing.

CRC
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:25:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Yup, that's what you get from someone who's educated by thier TV set.

Good guns cost big $$ in the real world.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:26:23 AM EDT
[#29]
I guess Florida should pass a 15 day waiting period for any person who declares themself 'liberal'

CRC
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:26:23 AM EDT
[#30]
A similar thing happened in liberal haven Kalifornistan after the riots earthquakes and then the riots "civil unrest and protest against instituional racism" following the King verdict... although most of the hippies will deny it.

The images of the korean grocery store in South Central than remained open for business (and unburned) due to vigilant "security" on the roof (armed with evil TEC-9's IIRC) spurred a lot of folks to buy.

Many of the antis who pushed for more laws to "keep the evil guns off the streets" tried to buy a handgun during the opening hours of the "unrest"... only to be told "come back in 15 days... maybe your application will be approved by then..."
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:27:25 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
The amazing part is how much the libs believe their own horseshit.

They honestly thought you could get something like a AK47 for about $100, even less since they don't want a fully automatic one. And they assumed most handguns are "saturday night specials" which go for about $50.00.

Had one guy who asked what he could get for $100 and I started telling him about accessories.

Many completely shit their pants to learn that a quality, dependable rifle starts at about $1,000.00. I told them to hold their breath and wait for the ice cream truck.

I have no doubt.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:31:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Anybody check into BradyBunch to see what the reaction is? I'm too scared to go there. Afraid of what might set me off, anyway.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:33:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Hah, I go to Palm Beach each weekend. Those libs up there have no clue except how to tie their gold shoes.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:39:09 AM EDT
[#34]
MANDATORY NRA MEMBERSHIP WITH GUN PURCHASE
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:41:22 AM EDT
[#35]
i have been a gun nut since i was little, always wanted them and then when i turned 16-17 first gun i saved up for was a preban ar, got a steal on it for 800$. olyarms btw, i think some people just like things that go bang. anyway im a life member to the nra. i agree with you guys 100%
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:47:02 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
MANDATORY NRA MEMBERSHIP WITH GUN PURCHASE

I usually factor in a $35 charge for which I discount for members of the NRA, GOA, etc. Usually I can make them a NRA member for $25.00 which means they sign up for free and save $10.00.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people would rather pay the $35.00 extra.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:48:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Thetrue question is, do you give NRA discounts?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:51:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:52:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:53:48 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thetrue question is, do you give NRA discounts?

Dude, your timing sucks.

Sorry, got caught up with paperwork and realized I didn't "Submit"
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:06:13 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
After the first overturned garbage can, the bodies would be littering the streets.

You could make a movie about it
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:19:45 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
The calls started coming in Friday...

"Um what do I need to do to buy a gun?"

Now most gun dealers are used to such calls, I even get a few like that myself. But being as how I am a private dealer with no yellow page ad and a customer base that is about 80% regular repeat gun buyers I only get that kind of call when they refer a buddy to me.

Seems a LOT of their buddies are finding out how to get a gun lately.

Guys who used to laugh at GI Joe across the street are now taking him seriously. Now the dangerous white guy who for all they know is some kind of white supremecists is a prophet and genius prepared to deal with emergency situations.

People are asking these guys about their guns, and more importantly who "they" can get them.

And these are NOT your normal "new gun buyer" calls.

In fact it's almost like they are reading from the same script.

"What kind of licenses do I need to buy a gun?"

"I went to Wal-Mart but they don't have the kind of gun I want to buy."

"How many guns can I buy at one time?"

"Can I buy a handgun without a pistol permit?"

And 90% of them absolutely cannot resist the urge to blame the government. Almost every one of these guys says something like "Yeah, I need it in case the government decides to abandon me in the next disaster."

Now to be fair some of them just don't have a clue and I spent a good portion of Friday explaining that you don't need a license to buy a gun, you only need to pass a background check. I even met with several to help them select the best firearm for them. Most wanted shotguns or handguns but there are some new AR-15 owners in the mostly liberal Palm Beach area.

A couple of them even have a clue despite their left leaning politics. One guy in particular saw his new handgun as akin to the generator he bought. Something he simply "needs" in case of emergency and he made of point of scheduling some range time so I could go over the basics of gun safety and gneral firearms use with him - something I offer to all new gun buyers. He still thinks the Fed gov somehow is responsible for the storm but at least he is smart enough to recognize he may have to fend for himself one day.

On the opposite side of the spectrum there have been a few complete asshats (I'm guessing these are referals of the people referred to me by friends) who seem to feel persecuted by the fact that they are compelled to buy a gun because the government (read: Bush) doesn't give a shit about Americans and will abandon them. They acted like they were buying rattlesnakes which they would be forced to put in a childs crib someday to ensure their own survival. Some of the comments were so absolutely stupid I couldn't believe they came from the mouth of anyone older than 13. They also treated me like the local heroin dealer they were forced to buy a "fix" from so their loved one who is addicted through no fault of their own doesn't die. All these people have been referred to the local "retail +50%" cantankerous old fuck disgruntled gun shop owner I refer all my "clients I cannot help" to.

I did make a point of stressing the "background check" to these people and cited examples of things that would preclude legal gun ownership as participating in riots or violent demonstrations or having renounced your country. I'm thinking of making dummy 4473 forms that include the question "Are you a registered member of DemocraticUnderground.com?"

On the plus side a few liberals have waken up to the idea that they may just have to take care of their own powdery behind in a national disaster and have taken steps to do so. This means they won't be in the fucking way or just another dumbass who isn't prepared sucking up resources. It also means a few of them have adjusted their view of how they see some "gun folks." And there are even a few actual converts. After showing several SURs to one prospective buyer he replied "Geeze and I thought I was only gonna buy one."

Happy to here this.  Nice to know people are waking up to the realities and the bad part of human nature.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:21:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Add a 35% democrat surcharge....  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:25:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Problem isnt gun ownership as i see it, it's 'gun fun' that we need to work on. if shooting your gun was as easy as going to mcdonalds everyone would do it. but nooooooooooooooo, ranges are few and far between with all kinds of BS rules, like here in LI you can'nt do "rapid fire" and the only bigger than .22lr ranges are a good 45 minutes from where I live. Most people will buy a gun then never shoot it cause they dont even know where to go! Owning guns might be "protected" but they just "regulate" ranges out of exsistance.    
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:54:30 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Trickle!? My ass!

They need to drink from the firehose!

"Geeze and I thought I was only gonna buy one."

Priceless...    more spottings of conservatives born in the wild.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:07:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Also having a LOT of fun with these guys.

I'm showing every one of them the MP5 and explaining all it's merits. They are instantly interested until I explain the sticker price of about $16,000 and the NFA process.

When they get their jaw off the floor and ask how that could be, I with a straight face reply ....... "gun control."

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:52:11 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's only good news if these folks KEEP this attitude.   I'm afraid this will be like the aftermath
of 9/11 Rodney King riots.  A temporary uptick then the standard sheeple complacency comes back in a few months.  Hope not, but I have little faith in most of my "fellow Americans".

Fixed it for ya.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:54:13 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Also having a LOT of fun with these guys.

I'm showing every one of them the MP5 and explaining all it's merits. They are instantly interested until I explain the sticker price of about $16,000 and the NFA process.

When they get their jaw off the floor and ask how that could be, I with a straight face reply ....... "gun control."

- Priceless!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:35:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:43:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Pretty much normal bussiness here but Im a little bit north of the trouble
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top