Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/16/2005 5:51:29 PM EDT
So which is better?

Well from a dealer standpoint apparantly Airsoft wins hands down.

To try and generate some volume sales (thereby putting me into a higher dealer sales category) I did a Group Buy on Gen 3 Glock 17s and 19s about a month ago and offered them at $10 above my current dealer price. I wouldn't make very much and I'd have to sell almost 50 of them to even get a free one for myself but if I moved enough of them my price dealer price would be lower next time around.

So I got a group buy going on Preban.com announced before it went under and I sent out a mass email to everyone on my "specials" contact list. One of the guys who did participate even linked the Group Buy on Glocktalk. I thought for sure this would go over big and didn't really look forward to all the work that would be coming my way for only $10 per gun.

And......nothing. Well almost nothing.

In the end I took about a dozen orders and when I finally get them delivered I will have made a bit over $100. Woo Hoo!

I won't even get into Glocks retarded distributor programs or the fact that suddenly NOBODY seems to have them. This despite the fact that I can barely GIVE them away.

Long story short, I don't think I will be doing much with Glock products in the near future. Hard to get, virtually no room for any kind of price markup and almost impossible to sell (even at $10 above dealer price).

Now also about a month ago I had one of my buddies who sells paintball / airsoft stuff telling me about how these new electronic airsofts are the greatest thing since sliced bread, etc. Full auto rechargable like the $400+ Tokyo Maru guns only they retail at around $50. Honestly I couldn't give a fuck about airsoft and I tune out about 90% of whatever he is yapping about when he is telling me about the newest / latest whatever the fuck he is selling this month. I don't care and I'm pretty much not interested in airsoft at all.

But to get him the leave me the hell alone I agreed to try and move some of these things on a firearms auction site that had an airsoft category so he'd quit pestering me. I didn't mention them on any airsoft message boards (I'm not even sure where they are) and I "thought" that would be the end of it. I figured the ads would run, get virtually no response and I simply wouldn't renew them.

The airsofts in question retail for about $50 and I pay $40 so much like the Glocks I make $10 per sale. Only the airsofts were not a coordinated Group Buy and I didn't expect to move a single one of the damn things, even at $50.00.

Long story short, I can't get these damn things fast enough. I've sold enough of them in the last 2 weeks to buy a Glock. Despite being somewhat backordered they only take a week or so to get them and any extras I order are sold by the time we get them.

So apparantly the days of Glock being the "Uber Gun" from Die Hard 2 that costs a months pay but will go right through an airport metal detector are over. You can't give them away.

But airsoft sales (even on real gun auction sites) are impressive and even though I am not any kind of dedicated airsoft player or dealer I can't get the things fast enough.

Kinda a sad commentary.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:52:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Popcorn and soda...check.

Let the show begin.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:54:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Long story short, I don't think I will be doing much with Glock products in the near future.

Smart man
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:56:25 PM EDT
[#3]
In before the shit-storm.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:56:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmmm...$50 to run around shooting your buddys in the ass,

or $400 to be unable to shoot anybody?

Whatever sells man...
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:58:10 PM EDT
[#5]
tag, this should get good....
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:58:52 PM EDT
[#6]
tag
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:00:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:00:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Consider this thread paintballed.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:01:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey man, whatever works and brings home the bacon .
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:04:07 PM EDT
[#10]
sales is a bitch, but I guess sell what they are demanding.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:04:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:05:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You can't give them away.

Anyone want to give me a 23?

But airsoft sales (even on real gun auction sites) are impressive and even though I am not any kind of dedicated airsoft player or dealer I can't get the things fast enough.

Kinda a sad commentary.

Well, America is infatuated with watching movies of girls with fake boobies.

Fake guns seems like a natural progression.

Me? I'm into the REAL thing.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:05:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Consider this thread paintballed.

I think this thread is more de-balled.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:06:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Ahhh, since you are rollin in dough with the airsoft thing how about givin me one of them Hk94's you have laying around.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:06:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Glocks have a certain utilitarian value, but that is it.

They aren't collectable.

No sane person looks at a safe full of Glocks and feels a warm glow of pride.

They are simple, ugly, functional weapons that work most of the time. If you have one, you have them all.

Personally I think the Walther P99 series of pistols have better triggers, sights, and ergonomics but are every bit as tough and reliable.  The XDs are cheaper and have a better trigger and are certainly reliable and tough enough to handle what most any shooter can throw at them.

Not to mention the plethora of dealers that have them marked up to insane prices. 600 bucks for a weapon that costs 70 to make? No thanks.

That being said, things tend to run in cycles. In the store I hung around, they would go through dry periods on Glocks, Sigs, 1911s, you name it, and then one day they simply couldn't keep them in stock.

Go figure.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:06:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Well, America is infatuated with watching movies of girls with fake boobies.

Fake guns seems like a natural progression.

Me? I'm into the REAL thing.

I like real boobies, too.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:07:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Ahhh, since you are rollin in dough with the airsoft thing how about givin me one of them Hk94's you have laying around.

On a side note, I handled an SP-89 at a gunshop in Richmond the other day. I never really understood their appeal until I picked one up. Suddenly I am overcome with lust.

The only stinky part is that they don't have the paddle release like the MP5's do....
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:08:06 PM EDT
[#18]
tagerino
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:09:30 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

No sane person looks at a safe full of Glocks and feels a warm glow of pride.

whoa - dat's profound. So true.

If you have one, you have them all.

Everyglock?

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:10:59 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Every glock?

No, boobies.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:11:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:13:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
You were selling Glocks for $10 over your cost?  Shit, I would have bought one.

I have ONE model Glock, and that's the 19.  I love it so much I have two of em.  They both go bang every time I need them to, and one covers my ass everyday.

No kidding! You have any more?!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:13:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't like airsofters, especially ones that buy all that high-speed gear and talk about how "UBER 1337 OMGOMG!!!11" they are. I call them Special Farces.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:16:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Glock Fo-ty.

Too propheshionul.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:16:32 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Every glock?

No, boobies.

Boobies range widely.  Glocks do not.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:17:28 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Glock Fo-ty.

Too propheshionul.

I'm the only one professional enuf in this room to have a Glokk fo-dy. BANG!!!!

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:18:24 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

What boobies are we talking about, anyway???
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:18:57 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What boobies are we talking about, anyway???

All of 'em.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#29]
This thread has not been deballed due the fact that he doesnt use them, he found that he can sell them.

With all the plastic, though, you could say something about Glocks in relation to airsoft.

Glocks, the original fake.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:36:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Airsoft, the Beanie babies of firearms. Just don't get caught with a big pile of them when the bottom drops out of the market.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:38:12 PM EDT
[#31]

Any more Glock 17's for sale??

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:38:27 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
This thread has not been deballed due the fact that he doesnt use them, he found that he can sell them.

With all the plastic, though, you could say something about Glocks in relation to airsoft.

Glocks, the original fake.

Yeah, I know they really suck ass, those fake,plastic, ,KB'n, tupperware, pieces of cheap junk.
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=4&t=13658
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:47:09 PM EDT
[#33]
What are the demographics of the air-soft customers you've run across? Are they the same people you'd normally sell real firearms to, or are most of them under 21?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:50:59 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Popcorn and soda...check.

Let the show begin.

Bah, in the end, this is about business, not about Glock and airsoft.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:51:50 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
You were selling Glocks for $10 over your cost?  Shit, I would have bought one.

I have ONE model Glock, and that's the 19.  I love it so much I have two of em.  They both go bang every time I need them to, and one covers my ass everyday.

I'd say you need to keep an eye on places like preban.com more but...

Seriously, if you want to be advised of specials just shoot me an email requesting to be added to my contact list.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:05:33 PM EDT
[#36]
I'd have helped you out by buying a glock in .45, but well, all my firearms in the US were bought in private sales because I am well, Canadian, I am not even sure i am allowed to buy firearms private anymore....

ah well, sorry about you selling airsoft, but whatever can bring in soem cash
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:10:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Hey, if it makes you money go for it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Sell em airsoft now, in a couple of years they'll be back to buy the real thing.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:21:33 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You were selling Glocks for $10 over your cost?  Shit, I would have bought one. have

I'd say you need to keep an eye on places like preban.com more but... hoot

Put me on that lisssst please, email sent.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:36:44 PM EDT
[#40]

That being said, things tend to run in cycles. In the store I hung around, they would go through dry periods on Glocks, Sigs, 1911s, you name it, and then one day they simply couldn't keep them in stock.

Go figure.

Let me guess. . . they ran you off?  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:56:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:59:23 PM EDT
[#42]
I was in a store the other day which shall remain nameless but is an Industry Partner on this board.

Had LOTS of Glocks and Sigs, all right at MSRP.  I guess some people will pay it......the upside was the excellent condition SAR2 for about $10 more than a WASR2.  I think I'm going to buy that.....

I am sure that the problem with moving Glocks has a lot to do with how saturated the market is with them.  Used ones can be had for just a little over $300 with almost no looking.  I wouldn't care if it was used, its a GLOCK, they don't wear out!  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:52:17 PM EDT
[#43]
My wife and I go to Flea Markets often and usually have a couple kids with us with ages around 12 to 14. All the kids flock to the tables that sell airsoft toys and even some adults are buying them. If a vender sells airsoft, cheap knives and swords, they seem to sell more than the other venders.

For the kids, these are the only "guns" they can buy and their favorites are the Glock and M4 airsoft. I see this as good because some of these kids will grow up and buy the real deal and hopefully vote to keep our freedoms. I've taken a couple of the kids out and let them shoot some of my "toys" and you should see the kids grinning after shooting a 30 round mag.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:59:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:12:39 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I wouldn't care if it was used, its a GLOCK, they don't wear out!  

Nope, they do not wear out.
They blow up
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:15:22 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I wouldn't care if it was used, its a GLOCK, they don't wear out!  

Nope, they do not wear out.
They blow up

I'm not a Glock apologist, I'm a Sig snob.  But Glocks are still amazingly utilitarian weapons, if not the most beautiful.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:37:41 PM EDT
[#47]
There is a much higher "cost of entry" into the real steel firearms world. First you need to get the experience of shooting, and for most that can be a little daunting/intimidating. Also, the process of buying a gun, ammo, etc is much more complicated. Lastly, you can only go shoot at certain places, and unless you are lucky enough to have a tactical range nearby, you have to adhere to lame range rules and plink.

Airsoft is much more accessible to the masses (and the underage) and you can use it more often, at a much smaller cost in all aspects. Lastly, you can get to run around blasting your friends playing soldier.

Some snobs here think that's bad, but from the huge number of M4geries (mine included) I think everyone is allowed to play around. Of course, if and when the SHTF the real steel guys will be MUCH better off, haha

PS: How often does the SHTF? Chances of you using your real steel M4gery are 1/million... airsoft, you can go every weekend.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:41:47 PM EDT
[#48]
In other news, local Florida authorities are investigating a sudden rash of "armed" robberies
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:48:46 PM EDT
[#49]
I assume you read the big write-up on airsoft in Shotgun News last month talking about all the profit potential with them?

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:50:18 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
There is a much higher "cost of entry" into the real steel firearms world. First you need to get the experience of shooting, and for most that can be a little daunting/intimidating. Also, the process of buying a gun, ammo, etc is much more complicated. Lastly, you can only go shoot at certain places, and unless you are lucky enough to have a tactical range nearby, you have to adhere to lame range rules and plink.

Airsoft is much more accessible to the masses (and the underage) and you can use it more often, at a much smaller cost in all aspects. Lastly, you can get to run around blasting your friends playing soldier.

Some snobs here think that's bad, but from the huge number of M4geries (mine included) I think everyone is allowed to play around. Of course, if and when the SHTF the real steel guys will be MUCH better off, haha

PS: How often does the SHTF? Chances of you using your real steel M4gery are 1/million... airsoft, you can go every weekend.

yeah......we don't like the use of the word "real steel"
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top