Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/19/2006 10:43:54 AM EDT
Vehicle: 92 GMC K1500

Tranny: TH700R4

Odometer: 57000 + Miles
So as of late, when I slip into gear, it makes a noise, similair to a grinding or rubbing. After acclerating even slightly, the noise goes away. If I slow to a stop, it returns. This happens for both reverse and OD/D/2/1. It may also have some slight vibs/rubbing at higher speeds, but I can't tell for sure.

Any ideas as to the possible cause? Fluids were fine when I last checked them, I have not flushed the transmission, it may be a moot point now that its eating itself alive.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:03:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By IchWarrior:
Vehicle: 92 GMC K1500

Tranny: TH700R4

Odometer: 57000 + Miles
So as of late, when I slip into gear, it makes a noise, similair to a grinding or rubbing. After acclerating even slightly, the noise goes away. If I slow to a stop, it returns. This happens for both reverse and OD/D/2/1. It may also have some slight vibs/rubbing at higher speeds, but I can't tell for sure.

Any ideas as to the possible cause? Fluids were fine when I last checked them, I have not flushed the transmission, it may be a moot point now that its eating itself alive.

I haven't the slightest clue. Get it to a mechanic. That's the only suggestion I can give.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:39:16 PM EDT
Get one of those tranny flush-fill-conditioner treaments done about $200+
Or if your are poor like me go to Advance Auto and get a bottle of Lucas Tranmission treament. Stuff works great and will refresh the oil until you get the money for a treament.

PS. A shop will tell you it needs a rebuild and charge you a couple thousand.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:53:36 AM EDT
Have the pan pulled, and see if there is metal in it. How does it drive besides the noise? Does reverse work firmly,, or does it slip? If it does your sun gear shell is starting to strip the teeth from it.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:18:45 PM EDT
Shops are far out of the question.

I have a 4L80E to replace it, if its really eating itself. I guess Ill flush it and look for metal...

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:50:36 PM EDT
Did you check the u-joints by chance?
Top Top