Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 6/28/2003 7:12:23 AM EST
I noticed some rust under my 2002 Tacoma.Should I be doing anything for this?Never owned a truck before,just thought I`D ask.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 7:17:32 AM EST
Chances are it's just surface rust on the frame or some uncoated element. Depending on the particular component and the type of steel it's actually made from, the surface rust may actually be a protective coating. Of course, if you take it to the dealer, they'll say, "It's OK. They all do that." Note: "They all do that" is a registered trademark of Roger Smith.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 7:42:41 AM EST
It is normal if it is on the under carriage. If it is on a body panel then you need to take it in for warranty repair.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:04:46 AM EST
You mean to tell us that you didn't get the "undercoating" for $700? [:D]
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:06:26 AM EST
It`s on the undercarridge.I was just wondering if its worthwiel to hit it with some CLP every now and then.Pardon the spelling.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:12:49 AM EST
That is normal for the undercarrage. I just spray some matt black spray paint to cover it up on my 2001. Make it look pretty.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:01:01 PM EST
Make sure and wash underneath at the coin-op car wash now that winter is over. No sense leaving the chemicals under there all summer & fall that you picked up on the winter roads.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:51:18 PM EST
Those Tacomas are great arent they??I wouldn't worry about it. By the way I have a 2000.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 3:40:22 AM EST
My daily driver is a 98 Taco, its got 126,679 miles on it. R22-I, 5 speed 4x4, plain cab. Regular oil changes and maint have paid off. I really need some new tires though. Mine are bald as a babys bottom.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 8:51:24 AM EST
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:27:14 AM EST
There are paints out there that actually convert rust to a flat black inert coating. Benjamin Moore has one in the industrial coatings line. Something like M84 or M48. Others must have it too. Try a large,full line paint store not the paint department of Wally World.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:52:21 AM EST
Its normal. If you can't stand it just sand, primer, and paint it flat black.
Top Top