Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2014 6:16:48 AM EDT
Edit:  

Gents,

Looks like I am pretty much sold on a 2014 Tacoma access cab.  I won't be able to actually pick it up for a few months yet, but I figure I might go ahead and have some stuff added to it so it is ready to go when I pick it up.  So far I am looking at:

This winch: http://www.amazon.com/WARN-28500-XD9000-9000-lb-Winch/dp/B0002Z9SU6/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1403168476&sr=1-1&keywords=Warn+XD9000

This bumper: http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-Deluxe-Bar-Toyota-Tacoma-2012-13-3423140-P22769.aspx

And this lift: http://store.arbusa.com/2-Inch-05-On-Tacoma-Heavy-Sport-Kit-OMETAC05HKS-P20932.aspx

Thoughts?  Suggestions as far as the winch bit goes?  I thought I might want to go up to a 10k pound winch, but the 9k pounder should give me a thousand pounds of wiggle room all loaded up as it is...

Also, what size tires can I put on a Tacoma with a 2 inch lift without them rubbing?

Cheers,

Ben

OP:

I would like to get a midsize pickup.  It should get as good or better gas efficiency (real world, not advertised) than the 2010 wrangler I sold before coming out here (about 19 MPG combined).  I want an automatic transmission, 4x4, and it should be reasonably capable off road (though that isn't the primary intended use).  I want it under $30k.  I don't want electric windows, doors, etc.  It cannot be union made.  

So far this seems to be narrowing it to a Tacoma for me...any other suggestions?  

Also, a V6 is fine for pulling a small boat, right?  And could I get away with towing a small horse trailer (2 horses) later on with a V6, or would I then need a V8?  I've always had SUVs...school me on pickups.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 6:18:16 AM EDT
[#1]
In before the wave of taco recommendations...
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 6:19:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

yup
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 6:28:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been towing a 19 ft bass boat (about 3,500 lbs) with a 4-cyl 2.7L Taco for over 10 years and it does great.   V6 on the newer bigger trucks should be more than fine for a small boat.   Get one with a Class III hitch bar or put one on yourself.

Link Posted: 6/5/2014 6:29:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So far this seems to be narrowing it to a Tacoma for me...any other suggestions?  

View Quote

No.  

(just to clarify, no other suggestions.)
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 6:36:02 AM EDT
[#5]
V6 Tacoma, 4x4 and good gas mileage in the same thread? El Oh El...

My 01 F250 crew cab 4x4 7.3 diesel is 1 mpg off from my sons 07 2wd Tacoma 4 door. 15 vs. 16mpg
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 6:36:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Chevy is coming out with a new duramax turbo diesel version of the Colorado this fall/early 2015.
I'm saving for one myself.

"Joining the engine lineup in 2015: the highly anticipated 2.8L Duramax® Turbo-Diesel. No other current North American competitor in this class offers a turbo-diesel."

Chevy's Site
Review of Duramax Diesel

And I'd say it's quite good looking for a midsize truck.

If you prefer GMC they should have a sister version of the truck also with diesel option.
GMC

Link Posted: 6/5/2014 6:42:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I would like to get a midsize pickup.  It should get as good or better gas efficiency (real world, not advertised) than the 2010 wrangler I sold before coming out here (about 19 MPG combined).  I want an automatic transmission, 4x4, and it should be reasonably capable off road (though that isn't the primary intended use).  I want it under $30k.  I don't want electric windows, doors, etc.  It cannot be union made.  

Also, a V6 is fine for pulling a small boat, right?  And could I get away with towing a small horse trailer (2 horses) later on with a V6, or would I then need a V8?  I've always had SUVs...school me on pickups.
View Quote

If it's flat where you live then maybe.  If there are hills then no, not unless you want to replace transmissions and rearends.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 6:44:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Chevy is coming out with a new duramax turbo diesel version of the Colorado this fall/early 2015.

"Joining the engine lineup in 2015: the highly anticipated 2.8L Duramax® Turbo-Diesel. No other current North American competitor in this class offers a turbo-diesel."

Chevy's Site

Review of Duramax Diesel

http://cgi.chevrolet.com/mmgprod-us/dynres/prove/image.gen?i=2015/12V43/12V43__4Z7/G7P_HHI_R28gmds6.jpg&v=deg01&std=true&country=US

If you prefer GMC they should have a sister version of the truck also with diesel option.

GMC

https://www.gmc.com/content/dam/GMC/global/master/nscwebsite/en/home/Vehicles/Future_Vehicles/2015_Canyon/Model_Overview/Colorizer/Exterior3601/Quicksilver_Metallic/01_perspective_img_1.jpg
View Quote
He said non-union made.

Link Posted: 6/5/2014 6:45:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Chevy's Site
Review of Duramax Diesel

http://cgi.chevrolet.com/mmgprod-us/dynres/prove/image.gen?i=2015/12V43/12V43__4Z7/G7P_HHI_R28gmds6.jpg&v=deg01&std=true&country=US

GMC

https://www.gmc.com/content/dam/GMC/global/master/nscwebsite/en/home/Vehicles/Future_Vehicles/2015_Canyon/Model_Overview/Colorizer/Exterior3601/Quicksilver_Metallic/01_perspective_img_1.jpg
View Quote

I'm not sold on how the thing looks but that diesel has me interested. I can always change how the front looks with a ranch hand or something.

OP, can't go wrong with the Tacoma. I'd choose it over any of the midsize trucks out there now. I've owned a 2006 Colorado. Friend had an 08 Taco. Taco > Colorado in every category except cost.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 6:47:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Look for the union label.

Hillary could use your campaign money...
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 6:49:39 AM EDT
[#11]
A truck that gets better than 19mpg?  They quit making those years ago...
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 6:52:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Chevy's Site
Review of Duramax Diesel

GMC

Wow, those body lines down the side scream Toyota.

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/5/2014 6:53:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Tacoma sounds like a good fit, but can you get a 4wd double cab for less than $30k?
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 6:59:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

My Silverado 1500 2wd gets better than that on the hwy.  Average is just under 17mpg.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 6:59:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Look for the union label.

Hillary could use your campaign money...
View Quote

AlGore's lullaby as a baby.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 7:14:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've been towing a 19 ft bass boat (about 3,500 lbs) with a 4-cyl 2.7L Taco for over 10 years and it does great.   V6 on the newer bigger trucks should be more than fine for a small boat.   Get one with a Class III hitch bar or put one on yourself.
View Quote

Years ago I towed a Rhodes 19 sailboat with an MGB.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 7:34:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

My Silverado 1500 2wd gets better than that on the hwy.  Average is just under 17mpg.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

my 2012 Ram 4x4 crew cab got 21-22mpg
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 8:00:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 8:09:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Unless it's got turbos hanging off of it, a V6 is always shit for towing.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 8:11:33 AM EDT
[#20]
You guys do realize that most of the electricity in this country is connected to union labor right?  How many of you are running outside to flip your disconnects?

To answer the OP, you've narrowed it down in the first post. Taco
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 8:11:50 AM EDT
[#21]
[b]  So far this seems to be narrowing it to a Tacoma for me...any other suggestions?  

View Quote

I was a Ford truck guy for 30 years. I looked at them from every angle. I just could...not...do it...Sayonara, Henry...

Beware of those Tacomas. Its like joining a cult or something...

Link Posted: 6/5/2014 8:13:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got 21.5mpg on a 120-mile highway trip last week in my Ecoboost. 17 average overall for the past 2,000 miles.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 8:19:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I was a Ford truck guy for 30 years. I looked at them from every angle. I just could...not...do it...Sayonara, Henry...

<a href="http://s192.photobucket.com/user/chadwimc/media/truck13_zps814d744e.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z64/chadwimc/truck13_zps814d744e.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
[b]  So far this seems to be narrowing it to a Tacoma for me...any other suggestions?  

<a href="http://s192.photobucket.com/user/chadwimc/media/truck13_zps814d744e.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z64/chadwimc/truck13_zps814d744e.jpg</a>

You may or may not be from Ohio, but I've seen a truck that was exactly the same (roof rack, color, top) drive down through my town a few weeks ago.  I actually looked for a bolt face sticker..
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 8:20:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Check the Ram 1500 with the 3.0 liter ecodiesel. 20/28 mpg
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 8:53:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You may or may not be from Ohio, but I've seen a truck that was exactly the same (roof rack, color, top) drive down through my town a few weeks ago.  I actually looked for a bolt face sticker..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless it was day 1, a few weeks ago, this thing was still on a car hauler...It had two miles on it when I test drove it...
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 9:07:08 AM EDT
[#26]
midsize pickup, you an get either a Taco or Frontier.  Is there anything else?

Beware the Taco Kool-aid, I was tricked into drinking it, and its really is just kool-aid.  Its a decent truck, but does nothing well
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hi-Lux?

Link Posted: 6/5/2014 9:34:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

My 2011 F150 with a 5.0 gets 20 mpg on the highway and I carry a lot of extra stuff in it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 9:37:43 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

My 2011 F150 with a 5.0 gets 20 mpg on the highway and I carry a lot of extra stuff in it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Several of my customers get 20+ with theirs as well.

Link Posted: 6/5/2014 9:38:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Tacoma sounds like a good fit, but can you get a 4wd double cab for less than $30k?
View Quote

If you go with a base model, it's REALLY close, but you should be able to.  They are tough to find, however.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 11:26:16 AM EDT
[#31]
You will want a true 1/2 ton for a 2 horse trailer. Without a doubt.

You will also want a v8 for smoother shifting under a load with a live stock trailer behind you.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:10:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Update in OP.  Looking for lift and bumper/winch recommendations for a 2014 Tacoma.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:16:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Beware the Taco Kool-aid, I was tricked into drinking it, and its really is just kool-aid.  Its a decent truck, but does nothing well
View Quote

yeah, i made that mistake too. my 4cylinder auto got worse mileage than the v8 mustang it replaced.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:51:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Update in OP.  Looking for lift and bumper/winch recommendations for a 2014 Tacoma.
View Quote

If you're not planning to off-road ... that's a lot of excess weight to hang off the front end just to look cool.

That said... Shrockworks.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:54:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Edit:  

Gents,

Looks like I am pretty much sold on a 2014 Tacoma access cab.  I won't be able to actually pick it up for a few months yet, but I figure I might go ahead and have some stuff added to it so it is ready to go when I pick it up.  So far I am looking at:

This winch: http://www.amazon.com/WARN-28500-XD9000-9000-lb-Winch/dp/B0002Z9SU6/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1403168476&sr=1-1&keywords=Warn+XD9000

This bumper: http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-Deluxe-Bar-Toyota-Tacoma-2012-13-3423140-P22769.aspx

And this lift: http://store.arbusa.com/2-Inch-05-On-Tacoma-Heavy-Sport-Kit-OMETAC05HKS-P20932.aspx

Thoughts?  Suggestions as far as the winch bit goes?  I thought I might want to go up to a 10k pound winch, but the 9k pounder should give me a thousand pounds of wiggle room all loaded up as it is...

Also, what size tires can I put on a Tacoma with a 2 inch lift without them rubbing?

Cheers,

Ben

OP:

View Quote

Maybe you should use it for a while to see what you really need.  Unless of course you are just trying to impress your friends then you should get all that stuff and the biggest tires your credit card can afford.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:57:36 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

yup
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

yup
Yup...... I'll wager we'll hear from other Taco owners with
recommendation for shotties and rotties to transport in the Taco.

'
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 2:44:02 AM EDT
[#37]
I'd skip the ARB. They are notoriously the heaviest of the bumpers. Look at offerings from all-pro, metal tech, demello off road or many others. That extra weight up front is going to require either stiffer springs and new shocks or a cool over set up to combat the droop that's gonna happen.  For the suspension id look at old man emu, bilstein or icon.
This from an FJ owner.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:25:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Congrats on the tacoma, welcome to a disease far more expensive the BRD.
I just bought a 2010 tacoma to replace my 96 taco.
Go to tacomaworld, read up. It is kind of the arfcom for tacoma owners.

And we are amongst them.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:05:43 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
If you're not planning to off-road ... that's a lot of excess weight to hang off the front end just to look cool.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Update in OP. Looking for lift and bumper/winch recommendations for a 2014 Tacoma.

I have successfully destroyed a 1998 Land Rover Discovery and a 2010 Jeep Wrangler off roading the shit out of them...I'll see if the Taco fares better.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:09:20 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And if you want even lighter go with Demello Offroad.

http://www.demello-offroad.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=226

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:32:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Edit:  

Gents,

Cheers,

Ben

OP:

View Quote

i'm not a huge fan of a lot of the ARB bumpers because they tend to stick out pretty far which doesn't do much for your approach angle.  there are a lot of aftermarket companies that make bumpers better suited to rock crawling type offroading than the ARB.  

as for the winches and other stuff, the rest of the ARB line is good stuff, Warn makes good products however there are better values out there like engo and others, 4 wheel and off road did a bargain 9k winch comparo not too long ago.  

the v6 in the tacos makes 265ish hp so it should be fine for a small boat or horse trailer.  

i believe you'll want to do the diff drop with a 2" lift and you should be able to fit 32" tires (265/75-16 is stock on the TRD Off Road) without issue, 33's are doable if you hammer on a body seam to keep from rubbing i think.  

also, Nissan Frontiers are non-union made in TN and should come in under 30k.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top