Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2005 2:28:45 PM EDT
That's a big-ass crater!

A tanker truck carrying 135,000 pounds of explosive material overturned and exploded this afternoon on Highway 6, up Spanish Fork Canyon. It caught fire and exploded.

Highway 6 is shut down in both directions and is expected to remain so for up to eight hours. The accident was reported about 1:30. It's about 10 miles up Spanish Fork Canyon, just east of the Thistle Fork Junction.

We are told there are two people in critical condition. One was a passenger in the truck that wrecked and the other was in a diesel truck near the accident. Both are being flown up to the University of Utah hospital. Another patient, who we're told is from Mapleton, was taken to the hospital in satisfactory condition.

Early on we heard there were some burn victims, but a spokesperson from the University of Utah hospital tells us they are not treating any burn patients from this accident.

There's apparently a crater now in the middle of the road. Witnesses say it's about 30 feet deep and possibly 60 feet wide.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:30:00 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Thiat's a big-ass crater!

media.bonnint.net/slc/0/18/1806.jpg

Do truckers often haul JDAMs?

nationwide, care to comment?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:31:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:32:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm surprised the hole is that deep.  I would've thought a fuel explosion would have vented most of the energy to the sides and up.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:33:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow I cannot believe the driver was not killed. It must have launched his rig like the space shuttle.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:33:49 PM EDT
[#5]
crap, there goes my tannerite order.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:37:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm surprised the hole is that deep.  I would've thought a fuel explosion would have vented most of the energy to the sides and up.  

It wasn't a fuel explosion. The truck was carrying 135k lbs of blasting caps and priming cord.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:41:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Traffic already sucks on that road! I wonder if he was heading for the mine(s) w/ blasting supplies? I do believe that is cooler than the tanker truck + RV that collided on I-15 in Davis county (north of SLC) that acutally melted the rebar right out of the concrete along with the support beams on the overpass on the interstate a couple of years back. That is one hell of a crater!

ETA: I do believe that those are parallel rail lines that are running next to the roadway w/ component concrete barricades seperating the actual highway from the rail ROW. Fuuk Mi, that would certainly ruin your day!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:42:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I have been looking for a company that could dig my pool out before the end of summer, this one may be it, and there fast too.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:44:21 PM EDT
[#9]
135,000 pounds

That's a bit much, ya think???
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:45:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It wasn't a fuel explosion. The truck was carrying 135k lbs of blasting caps and priming cord.

That would explain it.

...wait...

they haul blasiting caps and priming cord in a tanker truck?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:48:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Ya, 135,000 lbs is a bit much for that type of stuff in one shipment. Wonder how far the truck parts went?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:50:29 PM EDT
[#12]
That's gonna take a few trucks of asphalt to fill that pothole. The news follow-up will be where they locate the engine block...Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:52:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:59:17 PM EDT
[#14]
How bout that is our first USA IED.  Look at that god damn hole!  Where is the debri?  That shit was buried with the force of the blast upward, thus propelling the debris far and wide.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:01:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
135,000 pounds

80,000 gross weights for trucks.

Truck and trailer weigh 30-35000 lbs.

And yes trucks do move Jdams and Nuclear material and explosives.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:05:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
135,000 pounds

80,000 gross weights for trucks.

Truck and trailer weigh 30-35000 lbs.

And yes trucks do move Jdams and Nuclear material and explosives.  

REALLY????  Cool!!!!  Are you a Truck Driver???  

WOW!!!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:25:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I feel bad for the guys that got hurt.

But dang I would have loved to see it go boom.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:08:28 PM EDT
[#18]
"WAKE UP, Bubba!! You ain't never seen the size of accident we're about to have!"
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:11:05 PM EDT
[#19]
cool!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:32:22 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

That would explain it.

...wait...

they haul blasiting caps and priming cord in a tanker truck?

I think someone goofed up the story.... I doubt it was a tanker truck. Inital reports were that the truck was hauling dynamite, but that was changed to blasting caps and det-cord a little while ago. My parents drove that road just last week.

The rail line thats cut right there also supplies coal to the largest coal fired power plant in the USA... Intermountain Power Project, which supplies power to southern California.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:35:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Fox and MSNBC are saying it was 35,500 pounds of explosives. Big boom whatever it was though.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:37:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Was Ted Kennedys car around?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:47:42 PM EDT
[#23]
I heard it was 135,00 Kilo Tons of Explosives
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:50:28 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I feel bad for the guys that got hurt.

But dang I would have loved to see it go boom.

feel bad?  He's lucky they aren't picking him off the dirt with a sponge.  And oh yeah, what an awesome thing to see!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:52:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Maybe it's just me, but doesn't it seem kind of stupid to have been hauling these two components in the SAME truck to begin with?

It's a damn good thing this happened in a canyon instead of the middle of some town or  a busy interstate.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:57:35 PM EDT
[#26]
We live right at the mouth of the canyon, and my wife didn't even hear the explosion.  It did happen several miles up the canyon, so I guess that makes sense.  This is going to effect a lot of trucking and rail traffic.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:29:25 PM EDT
[#27]
It wasnt a truck full of explosives.   I heard it was a truck full of Glocks that spontaneously KB'ed.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:03:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Ok, I definately agree that this was a bad th ing. Now, just imagine if John Q. Haji got hold of that truck?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:09:44 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

35,000 pounds...if it is TNT equivalent, that's what, 17 tons?  About 1/50 of one of the suitcase nukes.

Would've liked to have seen that go boom.  From a decently armored car or room.

Jim
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:14:30 AM EDT
[#30]
How the heck did anyone live through that? Did it crash, burn then go kB!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:50:36 AM EDT
[#31]
considering the truck KBed next to a diesel truck I just have a few things to ask.

How far was the largest recovered part from the detonation sight?
How far was the detination shockwave felt?
How far was the detination report herd?
Any satalite videos?
What happned to the diesel truck?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:05:17 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Maybe it's just me, but doesn't it seem kind of stupid to have been hauling these two components in the SAME truck to begin with?

It's a damn good thing this happened in a canyon instead of the middle of some town or  a busy interstate.

Why not?  It's not like one won't go boom without the other here.  It's not like C4 and detonators, its caps and cord, both could go with a match I think.

I just wan't to know if this is a after clean-up photo, otherwise where is the rig?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:14:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Personally, I can not believe that the DOT allows that volume of HE materials to be hauled on one truck.  Seems like that type of material could be hauled in smaller batches as like suggested above they got real lucky this happened where it did...  just imagine if this happened in a city...

the video I had seen on TV was quite impressive...  of the hole after the explosion that is...
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:19:46 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
That's a big-ass crater!

Ass craters are cool, especially big ones!  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:22:08 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why not?  It's not like one won't go boom without the other here.  It's not like C4 and detonators, its caps and cord, both could go with a match I think.

I just wan't to know if this is a after clean-up photo, otherwise where is the rig?

Here are some pics...

www.cnn.com/2005/US/08/10/truck.explosion.ap/index.html

and

www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=92985

Video:

www.cnn.com/video/player/player.html?url=/video/us/2005/08/11/cabrero.ut.tanker.explosion.ksl
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:28:07 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

135,000 Kilotons of explosive would equilvalent to a 135 megaton nuclear bomb, the fireball alone would be 3.1km in diameter and there would be near-total fatalities out to 13.8km.  I kinda think that estimate of the yield was a bit high.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:06:30 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
How the heck did anyone live through that? Did it crash, burn then go kB!

The driver lost control and crashed the truck.  His partner, who was going to bed in the back of the truck, managed to pull himself and the driver out of the truck.  The cab caught fire and at some point another trucker stopped to help.  The truckers were doing their best to get traffic away from the rig when it blew.  It's still a miracle that nobody was killed.  I guess there were a few people with burns, concusion wounds, and blown ear drums.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:21:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Yeah, it was 35,000 lbs... When I read the article it did say 135k lbs... Didn't stop to think about it.

Anyways, I guess there is an explosives manufacturer near there, and the truck was hauling a shipment out. Lots of mining that requires blasting here in Utah.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:52:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Welcome to beautiful Spanish Fork!  Yeah, explosives plant is right at the mouth of the canyon on the north side.  Lots of little buildings with dirt embankments around them.  And there are two rail tracks just south of the road, I can't tell for sure from the photo but they seem to be completely gone.  At least I didn't hear the trains last night while I was trying to sleep.

Spanish Fork Canyon seems to have a major propensity towards spectacular catastrophes.  This one happened just before the Thistle junction- Thistle was a small town that was completely destroyed a decade or two ago when a massive mudslide (as in, pretty much the entire side of a mountain) dropped down over the river and turned the town into a lake.  If you go down there you can still see some of the ruined buildings and collapsed roofs, plus a lot of swamp.

Honestly, I love this town.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:11:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:33:02 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Welcome to beautiful Spanish Fork!  Yeah, explosives plant is right at the mouth of the canyon on the north side.  Lots of little buildings with dirt embankments around them.  And there are two rail tracks just south of the road, I can't tell for sure from the photo but they seem to be completely gone.  At least I didn't hear the trains last night while I was trying to sleep.

Spanish Fork Canyon seems to have a major propensity towards spectacular catastrophes.  This one happened just before the Thistle junction- Thistle was a small town that was completely destroyed a decade or two ago when a massive mudslide (as in, pretty much the entire side of a mountain) dropped down over the river and turned the town into a lake.  If you go down there you can still see some of the ruined buildings and collapsed roofs, plus a lot of swamp.

Honestly, I love this town.

Hey Victor,

Where in the area do you live.  I live up on the ridge overlooking the golf course, opposite the mountain and near the three year old elementry school.  I can almost see the explosives plant from my house.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top