Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2005 7:35:34 AM EDT
Which company makes the better truck topper?

My search has come down to a Leer 100R or an ARE CH series.

They both cost about the same (within $200 of each other)

They are both available in the Palm Beach County Florida area.

Glasstite (I have heard they are excellent) does not seem to be available in Florida

I am going to have someone drive my truck ('03 F-150 supercab) over to have the thing put on so it is ready when I get back from Korea.

I plan on keeping this truck for a long time, so I want something that lasts...

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:47:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I've had an ARE on my '98 F-150 since October of that year. Good quality; no complaints. Not only does the color match perfectly, but the texture of the finish matches the factory paint perfectly. Mine is the frameless window design. It's cab-height, with tinted windows and sliding front glass to match the sliding rear window of my pickup. No carpet or anything insdie the shell, but I do have a little dome light at the rear hatch. The rear side quarter windows can be opened with a hand screw knob, and there are screens in those locations. Looks good, works good.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:48:04 AM EDT
[#2]
can-backs are cool! kinda gives trucks that africa range rover look!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:22:26 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
can-backs are cool! kinda gives trucks that africa range rover look!

The can-back does look cool, but my concern is cargo security.
A fiberglass topper is a little harder to break into...but of course, someone could just smash the window out or use a crowbar...

I am leaning towards the ARE, as I have heard some complaints about Leer...
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:26:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I put a Leer on my '99 Toyota.  I haven't had any problems with mine.  I got the fold down front window so I can clean the topper window as well as the truck's back window; well worth the $.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:30:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one of the flat tonneau covers for my truck. When I go to the range I can put everthing in the back and lock it up. If I want to stop anywhere, no one can see what's in the bed.

It's a Century.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:37:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Had a Leer on my work truck for years, would take it off if needed. After a couple years of back country road it developed a stress crack, took it in, they replaced it for me no questions. Had it for about two more years no problem, then sold the truck.
Would buy it again.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Had a LEER on a Dodge Pickup for 17 years, six of those in Alaska.  The truck finally died but the shell was still in good shape.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:57:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:05:57 PM EDT
[#9]
ARE on my Silverado for 3+ years.  Then my ex stole the truck...
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:26:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
SnugTop is the premium brand, and is used as the OEM by several manufacturers, including Toyota.

-Troy

Have heard of snugtop, but the dealer is over 50 miles away from the house. It is just not going to happen, as it wouldnt be convienant for the person taking my truck over to have it fitted and installed

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:35:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I am pretty set on getting these....

The doors swing out like this:

and have vents in the window:

In case I want to sleep in the back of my truck... also good for animals in the back...

I really dont think I need a headliner in the thing...seems like a waste of money to me..

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:45:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Glasstite is a Loccal Company here in Minnesota, I had one on my 84 Chev Dually
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top