Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2004 8:27:17 AM EST
NOT Tonneau covers, but Caps or Canopys. What do you have?

What do you recommend? I am looking at ARE (www.4are.com/), as I have heard good stuff about them, but I want to hear from happy owners of other brands, or pissed off/displeased owners of other brands.

BTW, when you got yours, what price are we talkin'?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:19:45 PM EST
Not sure what kind of vehicle you have, but there's lots of good forums over at www.f150online.com. Might be worth dropping by and running a quick search in their forums.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:24:03 PM EST
Leer, matching color, matching size(corners match, same height, same pitch as the side of the cab) looks real sharp. (Ranger)
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:27:26 PM EST
GemTop makes a very nice canopy. I've had mine for years and it still looks and functions great. Colors are matched as well.

www.gemtopmfg.com/
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:46:33 PM EST
I ended up getting rid of my Brahma shell – It pretty much blocked the view of the back and both sides of the truck, and spent 98 percent of its time completely empty.

If you want dry cargo storage space, buy a SUV or van – Unlike a camper shell, it'll also carry passengers.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:51:57 PM EST
I had a Glasstite on one of my trucks a few years ago, didn't leak at all and the factory paint matched
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:53:22 PM EST
Gee. Had one for each truck I've owned. have a Toyota with a high top Raven, full length side windows. Fantastic. I would buy it again. Looks great, and 5 years later is still in tiptop shape.

You are better off buying fiberglass over aluminum. My one aluminum one rattled and cracked apart over several years. That particular one funneled road noise into the cab.

MAKE SURE YOU CAN SEE OUT THE BACK. This means a high rear hatch, at least in Toyotas. Look at a demo on your truck before you buy. It cracks me up driving through a neighborhood and seeing those slick little tops next to the garage, not on the truck.

Get the sprayed on floc soundproofing. I think it makes a good difference.

Make sure you can see out the sides well enough. I have a full length side window that starts 6" behind the cab, and ends within 6" of the back. These little trucks don't need the cutesy split windows that also obsure your side vision.

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:02:38 PM EST
I had a Leer on my 1991 Nissan truck for 11 years, it never gave me a minute's trouble BUT it was always mounted on the truck, not taken off and on. I sold it with the truck a couple of years ago and still see it around town sometimes. If I remember the Leer was a little expensive up front but it sure did hold its own all those years.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:15:10 AM EST
I've got a Jerico on my F-250, color hasn't faded and it still looks good. No complaints about them.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:34:14 AM EST
What's it for ?

I have an ARE (my second). No complaints on either.

The nice thing is they'll customize the options you want af far as height, doors, racks and shelves, windows(I have none because I don't want to invite anyone to steal my tools) and even paint it to match your truck.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:53:31 AM EST
I have an ARE, flush top w/ truck, color matched, interior lining, and dual locks. It's great, the only leaks are from blowing snow through my tailgate. Price was $1200.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:45:20 PM EST
Had a fiberglass camper top with screened sliding side windows, and the standard lift-up rea window. Might have been great for camping, but it wasn't very secure. Homey B. Crackhead* bent the aluminum frame enouhg to bypass the trow-bol, and liberated $2k + worth of electrician and carpentry tools from the back.

Looked at the ARE contractor series, since it's reinforced aluminum, and I can mount it on the back of my 1/2 ton, and not have to boost the springs.

If you've got a heavier truck (3/4 or 1 ton) and want real security, check out Reading www.readingbody.com or Knapheiede www.knapheide.com for their steel contractor tops. I know several contractors who swear by them, and they;ll do "to order" as far as side & rear door & window/tool box options.

*not his real name. I knew it, and transported him from the PD to ER after his arrest. I didn't even jab him in the eye with an IV needle, or start the IV in his manhood.

Sometimes I loathe self-discipline and professionalism.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:30:16 PM EST
I've got a Leer on a 99 toyota. I've very happy with it and have had no problems. I had it fitted with a rack system to carry a canoe and it's a perfect fit. The truck is in the shop being repaired due to a rear end job from some other driver. The Leer came through it OK. Other than at the shop, the Leer has never been taken off the truck.

I looked at Snug-Top, but went with Leer because the price vs quality didn't justify the higher cost of the Snug-Top. No regrets.
Top Top