Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2001 4:38:00 PM EDT
by Joanne Kenen

Thursday, December 06, 2001 2:26 p.m. EST

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Attorney General John Ashcroft said on Thursday that the FBI cannot have access to gun purchase records as part of its terrorism probe, an assertion that provoked anger from several of his critics in Congress.

Several lawmakers also criticized gun makers who they said were trying to exploit the Sept. 11 attacks on the United States. One manufacturer, for instance, is marketing on its Web site a .50-caliber weapon nicknamed the "Turban Chaser."

Appearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee to defend a some of the Bush administration's weapons in the war on terrorism, Ashcroft was quizzed by Sen. Edward Kennedy, a Massachusetts Democrat, about the gun-purchase record policy. Kennedy said the Justice Department was "handcuffing" the FBI.

Waxman and McCarthy also faulted gun makers for allegedly trying to use terrorism fears to boost sales. For instance, they noted that a company called Tronix is promoting the "Turban-Chaser" while Ithaca Gun's Web site touts the "Homeland Security Model."
Ithaca Gun calls the gun "the civilian version of the shotgun carried by U.S. troops around the world, for over 30 years and in three wars. ... It is produced to protect our homes, our neighborhoods and our nation throughout this dark time in our history."

(Additional reporting by Deborah Charles)

Footnote:  I had to trim out some of the text since it was too long to fit in one post.

Link Posted: 12/10/2001 4:39:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know if I should laugh or cry about that.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 4:41:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought Tuban Chaser was a catchy name. Whats his problem?
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 4:42:23 PM EDT
[#3]
What about all the car manufacturers, as well as companies in every industry "capitalizing" on the tragedy? Only when gun makers do it is it bad. Morons.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 4:47:36 PM EDT
[#4]
For once I know exactly what to say - "WAY TO GO TROMIX."

Remember it matters not what we do/don't do to the Anti-Gunners.

Tony could have named his rifle the "Turbine of Peace" model and would have made no difference.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 4:53:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Hell, what better advertisement could you wish for? You should have people lining up for Turban Chasers by the end of the week if this article is widely published.

You should come out with another model called the Tali-Whacker. That would probably make for a good seller too.

Way to go!
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 4:58:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, you'll see the new Tromix "Big Sharona" on the website in the next day or two.  Sporting a 2 inch diameter bull barrel with a "penis" muzzle, its sure to inspire those that have always wanted to have the biggest dick at the range.  When you always wanted to have a big sharona, Tromix delivers.......

Link Posted: 12/10/2001 4:59:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 4:59:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well, you'll see the new Tromix "Big Sharona" on the website in the next day or two.  Sporting a 2 inch diameter bull barrel with a "penis" muzzle, its sure to inspire those that have always wanted to have the biggest dick at the range.  When you always wanted to have a big sharona, Tromix delivers.......

View Quote

Finally!  Something to inspire liberals to put gun barrels in their mouths!

...Did I just say that?
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 5:05:26 PM EDT
[#9]
HorseBoy,

I don't know that it could get better than the
"Tali-Whacker."

Tony you got to make at least one !

[beer]
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 5:08:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What about all the car manufacturers, as well as companies in every industry "capitalizing" on the tragedy? Only when gun makers do it is it bad. Morons.
View Quote

Say it man, say it...I PITY THE FOOL!
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 5:12:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 5:21:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I kinda like that Tali-Whacker name.  OK, I'll call the 2" diameter barrel gun the "Big Sharona" and the more portable standard barrel will be the "Tali-Whacker".  

Should I etch that logo into the barrel or the receiver, you think?  Maybe I should ask Mr. Waxman what he would prefer..............since he seems to be the expert on these type of things.

Link Posted: 12/10/2001 5:31:04 PM EDT
[#13]
They're just bitchy because it's harder to marginalize guns whose names bring up obvious references to fighting crime and killing terrorists.

Ah, they long for the days of the "streetsweeper" and the "saturday night special" when all was well with the gun control movement.

We should rename all our guns with names such as:

crime stopper
rape abater
rampage stopper
etc.

These are lousy ideas, someone else think of some!
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 6:09:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 7:26:00 PM EDT
[#15]
tony, every time i look at your site, the more i realize, your a god, keep on rocking
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top