Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/11/2013 2:33:02 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:35:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:35:34 AM EDT
[#2]
So a phony shows up to sign for the phonies.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:36:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:37:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:38:24 AM EDT
[#5]
That is freaking awesome.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:39:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe the guy was signing in American Sign Language not South African Sign Language.
View Quote

You think his accent might have been too thick?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:40:27 AM EDT
[#7]
That's not an interpreter. That's a witchdoctor.

Your dicks will now all fall off unless you buy the counter-enchantment from me.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:41:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:43:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:46:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Sum Ting Wong with his sign language.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:46:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Hahahaha. Derp!
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:46:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The guy in the first video basically repeats the same motion over and over and somehow keeps a straight face.

Fucking classic!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The guy in the first video basically repeats the same motion over and over and somehow keeps a straight face.

Fucking classic!

It's worse than I thought. He cast the curse multiple times. Now you will all need to buy multiple counter-enchantments from me to keep your dicks from falling off.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:47:02 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Fucking classic!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Fucking classic!

Hes flashing gang signs.........all of them.

Hes soo going to get drive by'ed.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:50:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Maybe the guy was signing in American Sign Language not South African Sign Language.
View Quote

I SAW this guy on CNN and thought there must be some different kind of sign language I'd never seen before.
That's international primetime trolling.  Well done.  

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:51:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:52:49 AM EDT
[#16]
The SA authorities are trying to find out who he was. Some good security the Halfrican had there.

Hell, he could have reached over and broke Dear Leader's chicken neck......Sigh.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:54:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Let me sign you the song of my people . . .

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:54:36 AM EDT
[#18]
What's his screen name?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:58:11 AM EDT
[#19]
"...AP interviewed both Druchen and Newhoudt by telephone using an interpreter."

OK, can someone explain this to me?  I thought phones for use by deaf people essentially used texting.  Are there video phones out there now, to allow sign language?  Isn't that more complicated than an e-mail or text interview?

Are we all being trolled?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:01:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Anyone else notice Zero didn't have a wall of bullet proof glass there... but whenever he goes somewhere in the US he is surrounded by it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:05:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Anyone else notice Zero didn't have a wall of bullet proof glass there... but whenever he goes somewhere in the US he is surrounded by it.
View Quote

Kinda stupid, considering South Africa's recent past of insane violence.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:07:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Maybe it was ebonics for the folks back in the US of A.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:08:00 AM EDT
[#23]

I understood him just fine.

He was clearly asking for assistance in moving Nelson Mandela's $12,000,000 out of the country.

I'm going for it, before anyone else catches on!!!

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:12:52 AM EDT
[#24]
My first thought was funny. Like an old Saturday Night Live type of funny.

Then I wondered what could motivate him? Is he a struggling comic looking for his 15 minutes?

Then I remembered Sadat.

There are a whole Lotta questions that need to be answered. I have to imagine there are some uncomfortable security folks right about now.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:15:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:16:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I didn't notice any difference in security levels.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:16:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Definitely not ASL. He also used different signs when signing the same word(world, for example) a few times, that is incredibly odd if the word is used in the same context every time. While it is possible that he was interpreting to a specific deaf group in a language I'm unfamiliar with, he didn't use any well used international signs you would expect at an event like this. Finally, he just didn't act like an interpretor. Interpretors use their faces a lot when signing in order to convey the message and mood properly. He didn't do that, instead he looked around in between sentences.  I'm gonna guess he's just a world class BS artist.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:18:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Then I wondered what could motivate him? Is he a struggling comic looking for his 15 minutes?

Then I remembered Sadat.

There are a whole Lotta questions that need to be answered. I have to imagine there are some uncomfortable security folks right about now.
View Quote

No questions need to be answered.

This "leader" put a sign translator next to him because it looks more "official" and impressive to have someone next to you.  So it's likely they just told some peon to stand there and mimic the movements he's seen in recordings from other big leaders.

It's all about power and association for these small, no-name countries.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:22:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Holy shit I lol'd at the video.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:23:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, as likely as it is that the guy was trolling, I feel obligated to point out that there are a LOT of different sign languages.  IIRC there was a human trafficking thing a few years ago involving deaf-mute Mexicans where the cops had to find someone who could interpret in their sign language, which was not at all like ASL.  This might have been the one:
http://www.nysun.com/new-york/deaf-mexicans-recount-enslavement-in-the-city/40556/
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:23:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Then I remembered Sadat.

View Quote

The  facade  is  much   thinner  than  most  are  aware  of .
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:24:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
"...AP interviewed both Druchen and Newhoudt by telephone using an interpreter."

OK, can someone explain this to me?  I thought phones for use by deaf people essentially used texting.  Are there video phones out there now, to allow sign language?  Isn't that more complicated than an e-mail or text interview?

View Quote

Video phones are real.  They are basically webcams connected to a stand alone screen that turns on when you receive a call(you connect that to lights in your house. The lights flash when you get a call). Think of Skype, or the new video chat abilities on smart phones. Same basic premise.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:26:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Epic win!

Poor dicks.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:28:16 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Can someone sell me their WOW potions?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fucking classic!

It's worse than I thought. He cast the curse multiple times. Now you will all need to buy multiple counter-enchantments from me to keep your dicks from falling off.

Can someone sell me their WOW potions?

Sure, I take actual gold or ammo

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:28:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Video phones are real.  They are basically webcams connected to a stand alone screen that turns on when you receive a call(you connect that to lights in your house. The lights flash when you get a call). Think of Skype, or the new video chat abilities on smart phones. Same basic premise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm familiar with videophones, was using Tandbergs before I'd ever heard of Skype - but was unfamiliar with just calling them "telephones" and how common they are to be used by the deaf - and to where both parties on this interview would have the same compatible tech.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:29:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

So, as likely as it is that the guy was trolling, I feel obligated to point out that there are a LOT of different sign languages.  IIRC there was a human trafficking thing a few years ago involving deaf-mute Mexicans where the cops had to find someone who could interpret in their sign language, which was not at all like ASL.  This might have been the one:
http://www.nysun.com/new-york/deaf-mexicans-recount-enslavement-in-the-city/40556/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is very true. While some are closely related to others(ASL is very similar to Russian and French IIRC), many are as different as English is to Chinese.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:30:32 AM EDT
[#37]
You people just don't understand his sign dialect.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:31:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:34:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's one service (Sorensen Communications) that is essentially a webcam and processing box that plugs into the TV and the internet.  They also employ ASL interpreters so the deaf person can call the interpreter via 'video phone' and then the interpreter can call a hearing person for the deaf person.

Bohr is also forgetting the possibility that the interpreter was sitting with the deaf person talking to AP on the phone and interpreting 'live'.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:34:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:37:13 AM EDT
[#41]
now thats some funny stuff
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:38:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I'm familiar with videophones, was using Tandbergs before I'd ever heard of Skype - but was unfamiliar with just calling them "telephones" and how common they are to be used by the deaf - and to where both parties on this interview would have the same compatible tech.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, I misread. What it sounds like is that the AP might have actually called via telephone, and spoke to an interpreter who signed to the individual. That individual then either signed back to the interpreter(who then relayed the message), or the individual was actually on the physical phone with the AP and vocally responded to the AP after the interpreter relayed the question.

If the individual can speak spoken English(not uncommon amongst those who become deaf several years as children/adults), the latter is most common. Video phones aren't all that common outside of the deaf community, at least that I know of.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:41:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

We need someone who signs Jive.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:41:41 AM EDT
[#44]

Get him a movie deal!  Madea's crazy african god son.

spf

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:47:10 AM EDT
[#45]
The sad part is the US tax payers must likely picked up the tab for his performance.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:47:53 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What about literally having a human interpreter for the call? Someone speaking by phone to AP, signing the questions and then speaking the responses back to AP. For a reporter, that would be the easiest and most reliable way.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:49:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:55:33 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Fucking classic!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Fucking classic!
He just kept repeating the same thing over again.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:57:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:59:07 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Sum Ting Wong with his sign language.
View Quote
Ho lee fook   I see what you did there.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top