Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2001 11:23:50 AM EDT
And I don't mean the condoms, my computer has at least 5 or 6 different ones? I dunno what the hell is going on, I did a scan, and got a few off, but I still need to get rid of the rest of them. What is a good program to use to do this? Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 11:26:01 AM EDT
[#1]
What program are you using now?  If it's up to date, it should take care of everything.  If not, see if you can update online.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 11:26:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Best solution would be to format and start clean if possible.  Once a system has been infected it has become untrusted and the virus scanner can not catch everything a intruder could have installed.

Dan
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 12:00:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok, I'll format, can I partition my HD to save the stuff I want? Any freeware Partitioners? Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 12:01:24 PM EDT
[#4]
You can download specific virus removal tools from the web.  I work in support and usually end up cleaning one or two virus's a day.  Check out www.symantec.com, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting rid of them.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 12:35:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ok, I'll format, can I partition my HD to save the stuff I want? Any freeware Partitioners? Thanks.
View Quote

But then you could be saving the virus/root kit/trojan/worm etc etc on the partition

But if you really wanted to do it that way you could use Partition Magic
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 12:39:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Are you using Outlook for e-mail? Since the majority of trojans these days are written in VBA and only affect Outlook and mail software that depends on VBA, if you can live without Outlook that's a good start. Just delete the POS and download Eudora.

Then update your scanner software and run it. This will solve 99% of your problems.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 4:59:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Mattja,
  I am actually using Outlook 6. This is a big problem huh? Hows Eurora? Any faster than outlook? THanks.

-Jared
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 5:04:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 5:09:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top