Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2001 11:43:33 PM EDT
O.K. Folks, I really don't know the answer to this question, but I figure someone out there must.

Why is it that most rifles and pistols have a right hand rifle twist while the .45ACP is left?

-Red-
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 12:17:11 AM EDT
[#1]
The .45 acp was originally going to be tested in Australia. Since air behaves in many ways similar to a liquid, imparting a bullet left hand spin would increase ballistic effects due to the projectile working with the coriolis force which is also counter clockwise south of the equator.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 12:21:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Which, of course, is why shotguns, originally designed to be fired at the north and south poles, have no rifling at all.....
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 12:37:18 AM EDT
[#3]
That doesn't explain why the M1903 has a left-hand twist as well.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 1:52:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Its simple,  Most gun designers are Right Handed.  John Browning and who ever designed the 1903 happened to be left handed.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 9:45:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Imbroglio-

Please tell me you were just being funny.  If not, we will have to send you back through Physics 101 class!

Link Posted: 9/25/2001 10:12:50 AM EDT
[#6]
True story.

The military in 1908 experimented with both left and right barrel twists in the same .45 cal barrel(like a cross hatched pattern). When it would fire, the bullet would just exit the barrel and drop to the ground not knowing which way to turn. The military settled on the left twist for the 1911.

True...I tell ya..true story, look it up if you don't believe me. [;)]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 10:15:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Righty Tighty
Lefty Loosie

Seriously I am not kidding.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 6:08:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Did we ever figure this out?
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I hope not 'cause I'm confused. I'm pretty sure that my .45 lever rifle is right hand twist.

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 7:20:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Most oilder colt pistols are left twist.their cylinders turn clockwise into the frame.S&W counterclockwise and rightbhand twist
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 7:37:05 PM EDT
[#11]
When the army first started using 1911s the first production guns all grouped about three feet to the right. The army made Colt start using the left-hand twist and this quickly solved the problem. All pistols chambered in .45acp from then on just kept using the left-hand twist.

I have known this for years and thought it was pretty common knowledge. The man I bought my first 1911 from at the gunshow told this story years ago so I know it has gotta be true.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top