Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2010 9:19:49 PM EDT
Hi all, I am looking for a tripod to buy for my wife. She is really loving photography (currently experimenting w/ a D5000) and I want to find a decent quality tripod. All the ones I ever find are very flimsy. I am looking to spend around $100, maybe more if it is justifiable. I want one with the smoothest operation and sturdiest legs I can find around my price range. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:16:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Slik 500DX Pro Tripod

This particular tripod is a really good bang for your buck. It has titanium alloy legs and all metal upper receiver. It is built like a tank and is rock solid, however the downside to it is that at 5.4lbs it is slightly on the heavy side. Just add a 3-Way Pan/Tilt Head, ball head, or a grip head of your choice and you are good to go.

Someone will be along shortly to recommend a Manfrotto equivalent.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:22:25 PM EDT
[#2]
It is extremely doubtful that you will find anything of quality for $100.  However, for $250 you can get one of these:
http://www.thkphoto.com/products/slik/slik-pro780dx-a.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/507991-REG/Slik_615_780_Pro_780DX_Tripod_with.html
Ball heads are available if that is your preference.
Mine easily supports my D200 and 70-200mm f/2.8.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:20:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Check out ebay, there are a lot of very good deals on excellent tripods there.  Bogen/Manfrotto,Benbo, Gitzo and a number of others.  Just check out the specifications and new price first.  I just bought a lightweight Bogen for hiking.  My older Bogen is just too damn big and heavy now days.

Edited to add it was under $70.00 and came with the head.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:15:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I've had a Bogen 3040 for over 30 years. It weighs 10 pounds, but is solid as a rock. There's one on ebay for $100. IIRC, I paid $135 in 1978.
The one I use these days for my telescope is a Slik w/ a Miller head.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NICE-BOGEN-Professional-Tripod-3040-w-Pan-Tilt-Head-/190441840842?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5737e0ca
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:48:19 PM EDT
[#5]
As mentioned above, you're going to have a hard time with $100. On the upside, if you buy a nice one they last forever.

I run a Manfrotto tripod and ball head. Very solid and smooth with the ball head. The downside being a setup is $250-$300.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:52:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Slik 500DX Pro Tripod

This particular tripod is a really good bang for your buck. It has titanium alloy legs and all metal upper receiver. It is built like a tank and is rock solid, however the downside to it is that at 5.4lbs it is slightly on the heavy side. Just add a 3-Way Pan/Tilt Head, ball head, or a grip head of your choice and you are good to go.

Someone will be along shortly to recommend a Manfrotto equivalent.

Heavy is good when you use Tripods IMO... less sway and less likely to be knocked over by wind
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:13:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Slik 700 Pro user here ....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top