Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2009 3:00:35 PM EDT
I need a good Tripod, for the most part I shoot Wildlife and Landscape type stuff, everything is outdoors. I use a Nikon D 70 s and don't have any really large lenses. The cold is a major issue with the leg adjustment retainers, locks and such. Cheap doesn't do well in the cold, what do you guys suggest?
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 3:22:14 PM EDT
[#1]
There's a bunch of tripods out there, what's your budget like? I just bought a Manfrotto 55 XproB and am very happy with it. It's fairly heavy and a little tall to fit in my luggage but seems very sturdy and solid. A vast improvement over the cheap tripods I've got in the closet.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#2]
What kind of lenses do you plan to support with said tripod?  Weight of lens and camera help to narrow down your choices.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 8:00:45 PM EDT
[#3]
After doing a lot of reading & comparison shopping, I went for a Manfrotto 190XB tripod and a Giottos Mh1000 ballhead. The ballhead has a seperate lock for traverse, which I think would come in handy when doing landscapes/panoramic shots. The tripod is solid and well-made, and can be configured several different ways pretty quckly and easily. While the ballhead itself is rated at 22lbs IIRC, I think Giottos is probably being a little over-confident about that. It holds my D80 with a 70-300 lens well, though. Most places I checked said that to get stuff rated at twice the weight you intend to use with it was a good rule of thumb, but personally I'd go for 3 times the weight rating, if possible. Together, the tripod and ballhead ran me about $230 from B & H Photo.

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 7:23:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm using:

Kirk BH-3 Ballhead
Both Kirk and RRS L-Plates
RRS Lens Feet/Clamps

on Giottos 9160 legs. I absolutely love them. I can splay the legs out almost flat for close ground work. They have a reversible center column. I can put it horizontal for copy work. Very flexible.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:25:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There's a bunch of tripods out there, what's your budget like? I just bought a Manfrotto 55 XproB and am very happy with it. It's fairly heavy and a little tall to fit in my luggage but seems very sturdy and solid. A vast improvement over the cheap tripods I've got in the closet.

+1, very happy with it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:39:06 PM EDT
[#6]
OK, Manfrotto it is. I think I like the Ball head also
Thanks guys
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:21:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh yeah, for what it's worth to ya, I compared the 55 and the 190 and for an extra $20 the 55 had much heavier legs (at the expected cost of weight) but also extended MUCH higher. Don't know how it is in your area, but here the local store had the tripods in stock for around $15 more than I could've bought it online. (after shipping) The ability to put my hands on the product and get a literal feel for it, was more than worth the diff. in cost. I also got the med sized Manfrotto ballhead and I'm pleased with it as well.

The legs on these splay out pretty wide and with the center column able to lay over at 90deg I can get the camera within just a few inches of the ground.

I've read for years what a difference a nice tripod makes over the cheap ones, wish I'd upgraded years ago.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:36:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Congrats! Which ballhead did you go with?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top