Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2005 5:24:46 PM EDT
Okay, guys, here's the scoop. Now, I know that the popular idea of men is that they aren't sentimental

and only need staples such as plump female breasts, beer, chicken, guns and cars. However, I'm going

to ask some of you guys to let your guard down for two seconds. Anyways, I'm a senior in highschool

and every now and again some special song will come on and it's like my mental lights dim and just

absorb the sentimentality of leaving this stage in my life. I'm sorry if I'm getting to "Dooms Day" for you

all, but, I was just wondering what kind of great memories you all have of being a highschooler and the

excitment and sadness of leaving that period in your lives. I know that college will be another, probably

more exciting, stage of my life but this seems to be the end of my childhood and a place in my life that

I will never be able to relive. Well, I guess everything has its seasons.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 5:26:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Crest of your childhood?

Bwaaahaaahaaahaaa....you still got 10+ years of growing up to do boy!

SGat1r5
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 5:26:56 PM EDT
[#2]
GrH_Revelation?
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 5:26:57 PM EDT
[#3]
LoL... thanks.

Palo_Duro: Si, senor... and I believe this has been acknowledged in the Team Forums... no?
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 3:58:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Best memory from being a senior in HS..........Kacie Evans!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 4:00:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Double spaced.   Hmmm, I think he really IS in High School guys.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 4:06:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Double spaced.   Hmmm, I think he really IS in High School guys.

LOL.

I hate teenagers with a passion.  It's nothing personal, it just seems that 98% of them are retards and are out to kill everyone with their vehicle.

Also, "chicken"?  To hell with chicken, give me a fat ass steak, medium-rare, no sauce, no marinade, just black pepper, a big knife and a fork.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 4:12:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 4:37:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Oh the things you will learn...  
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 4:46:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Getting out of Highschool was like being released from jail. Oh wait I did get released from jail more than once that year.

I competed at the highest levels in highschool wrestling and did rather well.  Being introduced to wrestling at the world class level was a real eye opening the year I got out of high school.
At the ACC Nationals tournment  I was a mere blip on the radar, I had high hopes. My Olympic dreams were crushed that year by two guys from Iowa, both were Iowa Hawkeye's.
I placed 33rd nation in my weight class. Top 5 are the only one's with a shot at Colorado springs.

The reason its important that I got beat by two guys from the same college is, if I got beat by the first string thats one thing but I got beat by the 2nd string guy too. What would that make me 3rd string or less at that school ? Damn that Dan Gable . I was crushed but I learn alot that year and wouldnt have had it any other way.

Thats the major thing I took away from the year I left highschool.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 4:51:53 AM EDT
[#10]
The only good memory I had from High School was the day I left for the Army.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 4:53:59 AM EDT
[#11]
It's pretty much too late to create any good highschool memories, just make sure you party hard in the last couple months...it will give you some good memories.  

What you need to be doing is getting ready to have a blast in college...that's where the real fun is.  You should start by following the link in my sig line and getting the eBook.  Even if you are good with the ladies the book can teach you much and will make college 1,000 times better.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:08:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Running from the cops carrying a nearly full 16 gallon keg, trying to run in tandem with other pal holding other handle, was kinda humorous (synchronized running with >100lbs and hard grips is Harder than you think).  Also sunk a car in the river that day.

That what you are looking for?

brass and I were best buds in high school and didn't even know it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:09:37 AM EDT
[#13]
"Late December back in '63', what a special night for me, what a lady what a night" That song puts me back to age 14 at end of JH 1974 and one of the Hottest HS sopmores around. Well she dug me and she ain't shy.he I was Kingto all the enviousheor feeling her boobs and kissing her. I heard that song while I was getting some of the hottest ass in town and my head was in a blurry whirl, chest pounding like a heart attack and all I could hear was that song playing. Sounds and smells, they will never be forgotten when linked to special moments in growing up.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:15:19 AM EDT
[#14]

I'm sorry if I'm getting to "Dooms Day" for you

I think "gay" was the word you were looking for there, old timer.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:26:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I hated highschool, bud. I graduated a year early (full diploma, not a GED) and got a job ASAP. Since then, every day has been better than the last.  

I doubt I'll even go to a reunion. I didn't even want to go to my graduation. I asked if they would just mail me my diploma, and they declined. I wasted a whole day listening to speeches and matching funny looking kids in robes and goofy hats accepting pieces of paper and shaking hands.

I too am a sentimental guy. I fondly remember the first time I handled plump female breats, my first beer, my dad's BBQ chicken, my first gun, and my first car.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 7:01:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Here's a trip down memory lane for my senior year of high school....<takes deep breath>

Long story short, I ended up spending an entire quarter of my senior year bedridden in a back brace from an ATV accident.  The accident left me with 2 fractured vertebrae, 3 compressed, 2 skull fractures, fractured elbow, and a permanently deaf right ear.

Now for the rest of the story...

The summer between junior and senior year my dad was in the AF stationed at Sembach AB in Germany.  Faced with no career options in his field (it was being converted to NCO's) he passed his Major's PB and requested terminal leave at Maelstrom AB in Great Falls MT.  Uncle was handing out big checks back then (92) for people to get out so my dad opted for that route.\

My folk’s idea was to start a B&B in the Rockies with hunting parties and hiking tours...stuff like that.  Many days were spent traveling the state looking for suitable land on which to build, and finally some was located 60 miles from Great Falls right up in the mountains.

They bought 40 acres that backs up to BLM land, Helena National Forest and the Bob Marshal/Scapegoat wilderness.  Basically it's in the middle of nowhere and one can conceivably walk from their backdoor to government land and then walk all the way to Canada in a straight line without crossing private property.

Ok, so land is procured now we need a house/supplies.  We bought a large truck a new Yamaha ATV and 3 used snow machines.  Now all we needed was a place to live.  After calling and looking at several log cabin kit makers (it HAD to be a log cabin) they decided on a kit from a place outside of Bozeman basically a 2 story barn shaped house with an open first floor plan (this is important later).  The owner of the kit company said that three people could put this house up in 10 days.  SOLD.  Suckers.

While we're waiting for the kit to be delivered we set about making a temp shelter, after creating a cut out and flat spot on the side of the hill we constructed a basic shelter out of a standing dead timber frame, covered with tarps for rain protection and then topped with green pine boughs for insulation.  Fire pits in the front and back provided warmth and cooking fires.

Now as some of you know, when you PCS back from Europe it takes a while for your stuff to show up, so we're living out of suitcases in the middle of the woods with no running water and no electric, sleeping in bags on pine boughs (the Rockies are just that) as I started my senior HS year at the local County school 50 miles away.

It was a great routine that consisted of up at 600 to get the fire going and get some breakfast before starting the 45 minute drive down the 5 miles of old logging road to MT Hwy 200.  Then after the 45+ minute bus ride to school it was off to the gym for a shower (since we didn't have one available) before class started.

This worked pretty well, I went to school, my folks worked on the cabin (sometimes with the help of "neighbors").  Needless to say, it took much longer than 10 days to put the house up, all the while we're living quite comfortably in our purpose built shanty.

One cold Sunday morning in mid October, my spidey senses woke me up to see the fire pit at the back of the shelter had finally dried the wood out enough that it caught fire.  Instantly I stand up and say "OH SHIT", which sets off my mom's spidey sense.  By now we're all awake, half of the structure is on fire so now 3 people and 4 dogs spill out of the front of the shelter, but my dad goes back in to get some of the guns and bows out.  

It is still dark so the fire creates a lot of shadows and makes it hard to see.  I turn around to see my dad's bow case flying out of the opening in the flames, but without enough time to move out of the way before it hits me in the head, knocking me over and leaving a head shaped imprint in the heated hard green bow case.  I am instructed to move the cars down the hill (in reverse as there is no turnaround) to get them away from the fire.

All tolled, we lost all of the clothes we weren't wearing, one Interarms 7mm, a Browning BSS 12 gauge, a Savage pump 12 gauge and a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag.  All of the ATV helmets were burned too (this becomes important later).

Time goes on and construction continues, on Oct 24 we get to a stopping point, trying to figure out how the second floor of the cabin is supported, as there is nothing included in the plan we have.  My dad (already furious at the kit builder for reasons that were left out) called the guy to ask WTF.  

The kit builder says "the second floor is supported by the walls on the first floor".  
My Dad says "there aren't any walls a-hole, that’s why we bought this model"

Now we have to engineer a solution.  We decided to cut a hole out and pull down a tree to put in as a floor joist.  After the tree is felled we come to realize that we don't have any rope to haul the tree back to the build site as we left it where we were staying (on the highway 4 miles down the logging road).

I volunteer to go and get the rope, so off I go on the ATV with my girlfriend at the time riding behind me on the seat.  Cruising along at WAY faster than I should have been going, we come to a break in the road where it both goes straight and has a switchback to go down a hill.  In the center of the road is a large rock that we always seem to mention moving but never actually stop to do so.  Well, the rock finally got moved, we hit it with the ATV and it off centered the bike.  That coupled with the terrain change (about 35-30 degrees to the left) sent the ATV flipping over.

My GF and I get up, she manages to flip the bike back onto it’s wheels (I couldn’t do it my back hurt) and we start to go back up the hill to where our parents were.  After about 100 yards I couldn’t take the pain in my back any more and had her continue on with out me.  She didn’t know how to shift the bike and drove all the way back in first gear and on a flattened tire.

When the families finally got back to where I was now laying in the road I hear the cars pulling up and people getting out then my aunt (who had come out after the fire) said “Oh my God he’s dead”.

“No I’m not”, was my reply.

I’m loaded into the car as others are sent on to call for assistance.  We get to the road some time later after ambulances from the two closest towns had passed each other on the road trying to find where we were.

My GF and I are loaded into the meat wagons and sent screaming down Rte 200 towards Great Falls.  At some point the Mercy Flight helo from Montana Deaconess Hospital arrived and was set down in the middle of the road so that I (the more injured of the two) could be loaded in.  Shortly after it was set down and I was taken out and my GF was put in due to unstable vitals.

Upon arriving in the ER I was told (these are the parts that I actually remember) that I had to empty my bladder.  I told the nurse I didn’t know if I could, and she said if I couldn’t they’d have to “extract” it.  I filled the bottle up.  After that came the really fun part, the part where they took a green scrub pad that you would clean dishes with to my face and arms to get the gravel out.  It was hands down the single most painful experience of my life.  Then I got some morphine in my IV and I don’t remember anything till 2 days later.

On the second day I woke up with a terrible need to take a leak.  Knowing nothing of my condition I went on into the bathroom only to be accosted on the way out by the nurse, barking about how I should have called and that I shouldn’t be out of bed.  When I asked why she filled me in on my condition:

Fracture to the 2nd and 3rd Thoracic vert
Compression on 4, 5, 6,
Two Skull fractures
Fractured elbow
X-rays showing all of the bones in my ear were shattered and the nerve was damaged
Tongue bitten nearly completely in half.

All in all it was quite an interesting year, as this was one of several incidents that happened that year.

I do apologize for the long winded response, but I love telling this absolutely true story.  The original cabin is finished now but my parents are still working on additions and other structures on the property.  Click on the links for some pics of the place.

View out the front door
The kitchen (with wood burning cook stove)
Living room and Den
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 7:06:42 AM EDT
[#17]
As someone who only graduated from high school two years ago, trust me when I say this.

Finish up the rest of this year, don't miss out on a chance to do anything, then have a great summer with your high school friends.

Then go to college and forget completely about high school, except for maybe a few good friends. College is so much better that you will look back at what you're feeling right now, and laugh at yourself.

Oh and if anything, I think that people tend to revert more back to childhood in college to balance out all the adult stuff you're doing.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 1:37:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 1:40:34 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm glad it's over. Highschool is just
daycare for teenagers.

Life is about to start.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 1:44:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Also, "chicken"?  To hell with chicken, give me a fat ass steak, medium-rare, no sauce, no marinade, just black pepper, a big knife and a fork.

Roger that.

G23c
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 1:50:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Roger that.

G23c

Ya, 4-10, Rogo?
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 2:03:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Highschool was hit or miss.  

My life started when I came back from Airborne School in time to go to my (then) girlfriend's graduation ceremony.  Even though I was still just a "kid", everyone that graduated that day looked like little kids to me except my girfriend.

I was amazed and confused as to why I thought that way until I realized that highschool was nothing more than the Government's way of assisting parents deal with puberty, and driver's ed.

Go get a real life, dude.  (and I mean that in the best possible sense)

Link Posted: 3/17/2005 2:07:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
... College is so much better that you will look back at what you're feeling right now, and laugh at yourself...

+1
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 2:08:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Being a recent grad of high school I can think of good memories from senior year:
1. Prom
2. Winning a homecoming contest to be able to sit on the field at the game
3. Party 04(A party thrown at the end of the year for all the seniors by the parents)
5. Of course..GRADUATION

Deej86
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 2:13:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... College is so much better that you will look back at what you're feeling right now, and laugh at yourself...

+1

+2

The best thing about high school was getting the hell out.  Sure, I had fun and have some great memories that still make me laugh, but overall, I was glad to be done with it.  It was just a stop along the way as far as I was concerned.
I always pitied the losers in my school who thought high school was going to be the pinnacle of their lives.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 2:20:01 PM EDT
[#26]
The best part of high school was getting out of that hell hole.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 2:25:38 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I'm sorry if I'm getting to "Dooms Day" for you

I think "gay" was the word you were looking for there, old timer.

Someone's still a little disgruntled about having a grammar lesson taught to them by a senior?

Link Posted: 3/17/2005 2:30:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 2:27:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 3:05:07 AM EDT
[#30]
I graduated early in January 1998.
My opinions at the time were: fuck prom, fuck this place, and when can I become a Marine.
I only spent the minimum amount of time at school.
Only had one class Senior year and graduated with honors.
The only friend I still have from my highschool is my ex-girlfreind and we broke up nine years ago.
We were each others firsts and we are still good friends.
We just know each other so well we rely on each other for many things.
Besides we fucked like bunnys all through our 2 1/2 year relationship and learned soooo much.
My other freinds I still hang out with went to another school.

High school was just a stepping stone into the real world and for me the Corps.

Semper Fidelis.
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 3:19:47 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

The reason its important that I got beat by two guys from the same college is, if I got beat by the first string thats one thing but I got beat by the 2nd string guy too. What would that make me 3rd string or less at that school ? Damn that Dan Gable . I was crushed but I learn alot that year and wouldnt have had it any other way.

Thats the major thing I took away from the year I left highschool.

What you took away from high school you learned from two other guys on a mat?  Sad state of schools these days.
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 3:43:17 AM EDT
[#32]
High School was hell (graduated in '74).  Nerd (me) surrounded by stoners and jocks.  Worst fucking 4 years of my life.  Last day walked out (didn't do graduation) and have never been back.  Even avoid driving by the place (only about 3 miles from here).

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top