Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2006 12:03:21 PM EDT
Hello,

Given that I now have a baby who walks around I have been recently thinking about a way to secure my wife and my HD firearms but still have them readily available if the need arises. I've been reading about trigger locks and was wondering if there are any which are safe to put on while the firearm is loaded. Also, any recommendations on a brand or type? Even better, any alternatives which would keep them readily accessible?

I'm most worried about my Wife’s Remington 870. My Pistol is easier to secure. (And yes being brought up in Texas my wife "needs" to have her shotgun at the ready. Gotta love her!!

Riese
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:04:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope. No trigger locks for me. I kept all my weapons on the top shelf of my closet until I got a locking cabinet. The loaded weapon for my bedroom was inaccessable for any kid to grab/use however, the weapon in the bedroom was accesable at night for me or the wifey-poo.

Now that the offspring's old enough to shoot, we've gone to the range, and had plenty of instruction. I'm looking forward to a little tannerite action at the outdoor range and seeing the look on the kid's face when it goes off!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:05:05 PM EDT
[#2]
You should not use a trigger lock on a loaded weapon.Invest in a small gun safe with a touch pad or some other way to quickly access the firearm if thats a concern.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:07:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I put shelves in my closet that only the wife and I can reach.It is impossible for the children to reach yet quick for us.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:09:28 PM EDT
[#4]
no trigger locks in my house and I have an almost 3 year old, who is fascinated with guns, running around. What we have done is invested in a touchpad handgun safe which is kept right by the bed and other handguns that are "out" in the house are high on shelfs that at this time are unaccessible to the little ones, even if he climbs and stands on a chair.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:19:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I hate trigger locks; they don't really do much of anything except provide a false sense of security:

1) You can still load the weapon and chamber a round.    
2) You can still cause the weapon to fire by pushing a thin card or wire between the lock and the trigger guard.
3) They are slow to remove.

For my AR, I use a magazine lock - it looks like a 20 round mag but locks the weapon up tight.   Inserted and locked with the bolt back, the rifle cannot be loaded, the bolt cannot move forward into battery, and the rifle cannot be easily disassembled.   Although removing it involves a key, it's reasonably quick - aside from inserting and turning a key, it's the same as a mag reload.

For my 1911, I keep it out of reach for the time being.   In the next year or two, I will be investing in a quick access safe.

Everything else is stored securely, separate from ammo.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:20:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Mounted in the wall right next to the bed (although most folks probably put them in closets, etc.)...

Not cheap, but worth it IMHO.  

FWIW, I never concerned myself with such things before I had a child either.

www.securitylockersystems.com
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:29:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Triggers locks are for gay's.

Where is the  poll?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:31:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Trigger locks get people killed.

A gun safe is better.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You should not use a trigger lock on a loaded weapon.Invest in a small gun safe with a touch pad or some other way to quickly access the firearm if thats a concern.

+1

-K
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:50:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

+1 for good advice.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:50:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Mounted in the wall right next to the bed (although most folks probably put them in closets, etc.)...

[Not cheap, but worth it IMHO.  

FWIW, I never concerned myself with such things before I had a child either.

www.securitylockersystems.com

Thats what I have. Works great.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:06:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I use push-button trigger locks, i do not have a safe on every floor of my home.  my weapons are accessible within seconds.  they are still located up high and out of reach of my children.

ETA:  mine are magloc.  From smartlock.com
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:06:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Get a good gun safe.

Here is a good one that I use:

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:07:38 PM EDT
[#14]
NEVER
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:55:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Trigger locks = protection for home invaders.

No way.

Few toddlers can chamber a round on a semi auto, even if they figure out how to insert the mag.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:57:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the comments guys. I already have a safe but being that its over 1000 pound its in my basement. I found a closet door rifle cabinet which might workout. I've never had to deal with these things before but know as a parent I'm a bit paranoid. My doughter is only one but she she be properly trained once it is possable. I read on the NRA website that they have a program for kids 3 and up which seems to really work.

Thanks again!

Riese
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:05:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Send the kid to a Boarding School, and let them come home when they turn about 30 years old.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:07:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I hate trigger locks; they don't really do much of anything except provide a false sense of security:

How so?  My pushbutton trigger locks provide me w/ a sense of security.  

1) You can still load the weapon and chamber a round.     so?  mine are already loaded w/ a chambered round.
2) You can still cause the weapon to fire by pushing a thin card or wire between the lock and the trigger guard.  do you mean if the lock is placed in FRONT of the trigger?  that would be the incorrect way to lock the trigger.
3) They are slow to remove.  not mine.  just push 4 buttons and pull it off.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:09:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Thanks for the comments guys. I already have a safe but being that its over 1000 pound its in my basement. I found a closet door rifle cabinet which might workout. I've never had to deal with these things before but know as a parent I'm a bit paranoid. My doughter is only one but she she be properly trained once it is possable. I read on the NRA website that they have a program for kids 3 and up which seems to really work.

Thanks again!

Riese

Get a cheap Stack On cabinet and stick it in your bedroom. Then develop a habit: If you gun isn't on your person then it's locked in the cabinet.

I'm glad to see that you are taking some responsability to prevent unauthorized access to your firearm by your munchkin. Don't drop your guard after you put her through the Eddy Eagle program though.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:09:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
... I've never had to deal with these things before but know as a parent I'm a bit paranoid. My doughter is only one but she she be properly trained once it is possable. I read on the NRA website that they have a program for kids 3 and up which seems to really work...

Nothing paranoid about it IMHO - your job as father is to protect her from all dangers you can.  That includes training & education of course, but sometimes - and I'll probably get jumped here for daring to say this - it also includes restricting access to dangerous things.  Until they are old/mature enough, I would no more leave a loaded firearm within a child's access than I would leave prescription drugs or drain cleaner out for them to investigate.

I review preventable child deaths for a living and trust me it's never pretty - especially when it's the child of a long-time gun owner who "grew up with guns in the house without incident" or just knew that their child was old/mature/responsible enough that he didn't have to worry about such things.  

Thank God they are few and far between, but don't ever let anyone tell you that they don't happen...
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:11:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... I've never had to deal with these things before but know as a parent I'm a bit paranoid. My doughter is only one but she she be properly trained once it is possable. I read on the NRA website that they have a program for kids 3 and up which seems to really work...

Nothing paranoid about it IMHO - your job as father is to protect her from all dangers you can.  That includes training & education of course, but sometimes - and I'll probably get jumped here for daring to say this - it also includes restricting access to dangerous things.  Until they are old/mature enough, I would no more leave a loaded firearm within a child's access than I would leave prescription drugs or drain cleaner out for them to investigate.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:15:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Someone needs a photo of Blackhawk down...and a caption... "This is my saftey"  With Eric Bana's trigger finger being bent.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:46:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Hello,

Given that I now have a baby who walks around I have been recently thinking about a way to secure my wife and my HD firearms but still have them readily available if the need arises. I've been reading about trigger locks and was wondering if there are any which are safe to put on while the firearm is loaded. Also, any recommendations on a brand or type? Even better, any alternatives which would keep them readily accessible?

I'm most worried about my Wife’s Remington 870. My Pistol is easier to secure. (And yes being brought up in Texas my wife "needs" to have her shotgun at the ready. Gotta love her!!

Riese

This might be the ticket for the wife's shotgun:

www.mossberg.com/locbox.htm
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:47:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Never.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:54:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:56:16 PM EDT
[#26]

No.
Get a gun cabinet at wally world for $80 or so. Trigger locks are an abomination. Put it in you bedroom walkin closet so you can have quick access if needed in the middle of the night.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:02:46 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
... I've never had to deal with these things before but know as a parent I'm a bit paranoid. My doughter is only one ,,,

Riese

I don't think you are paranoid.  You absolutely need to do something long BEFORE something could go wrong.

Let me pile on the +1's for the lockable cabinet with the touch pad.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:03:07 PM EDT
[#28]
I never lock mine
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:06:49 PM EDT
[#29]
I have both the mini and multi Gun vault they work great and the kids can't get at the guns.

Cabelas
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:24:26 PM EDT
[#30]
What exactly is everyones issue w/ trigger locks???

I use magloc pushbutton triggerlocks from smartlock.com

They protect the trigger, are easily and quickly removed, and did not cost a fortune.  Why the anit-triggerlock sentiment?

details! damnit, man! details!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:35:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Why lock up the guns, its not their fault....instead lock up the kids

or go with the gun safe or high shelves.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:40:56 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
What exactly is everyones issue w/ trigger locks???

I use magloc pushbutton triggerlocks from smartlock.com

They protect the trigger, are easily and quickly removed, and did not cost a fortune.  Why the anit-triggerlock sentiment?

details! damnit, man! details!

They don't keep little fingers off of the firearm.  

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:07:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Trigger locks on stored guns.... but not on "go to" guns. Loaded pistol kept in an electronic access safe, any longarm kept out of sight in a "high" area. (top of closet, etc) At least until the child can be taught properly.

No Expert
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:29:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Used to use trigger locks on my go to guns, only because I had several kids and while I trusted them implicitly, inquisitive kids and their friends have been known to find things.  Remember kids are kids.

Now I use a vault that is bolted from the inside to tapped barstock under the desktop.

I don't know what trigger lock you use on an 870, but of the ones I looked at, they could ALL be manipulated on the 870 to activate the trigger.  Ergo, never a round in the chamber.  BTW, that also gave me a chance to rack the slide without ejecting a round.

Too many guys here are absolutist bigots on some things, trigger locks, locked cabinets, etc, think that anybody that uses safety precautions is an idiot.  YOU need to determine what is best for YOUR situation, not rely on the bloviating around here.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:35:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Another satisfied GunVault using parent here.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:12:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Trigger finger locks (aka handcuffs) should be worn by liberals at all times.

Er, ah, should be worn by all 'assault humans' (aka liberals) at all times.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top