Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2004 12:59:39 PM EDT
Buddy of mine (seriously, it's not me) has a Master trigger lock on his shotgun and he's managed to lose the key.  I suggested going the Dremel route, but is there a better alternative?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:00:38 PM EDT
[#1]
A set of picks. And not fucking using one in the future.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:01:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Pick it or have a locksmith pick it.

Master key locks, at least the cheesy 3- or 4-pin ones, are almost trivial to pick.

You can make decent lock picks out of the steel bristles of street-sweeper brushes.  The machines drop them everywhere they go.  They're made of spring steel.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:01:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
A set of picks. And not fucking using one in the future.

+1. i just through away the one i got with my new glock.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:10:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Masterlock trigger locks are uber easy to pick.

[Frustrated or bored teenagers need to stop reading at this point - go find a BOTD thread or something]

Take the tip of a small screwdriver, insert it close to where the 'spine' of the key goes.  Next, take a bare piece of stiff, small diameter wire, and while rotationg the screwdriver clockwise, gently lift the individual tumblers in the lock up, I think there's 5 of them.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:16:10 PM EDT
[#5]
You could probably pick it, but the dremel is faster and more fun.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:34:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Can you just take the trigger guard off?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:41:03 PM EDT
[#7]
*goes and gets one of those free locks I've gotten with guns to practice picking it*
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:09:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, I've freed a friends gun from the dreded lost key syndrome.

I used a drill press and drilled out the tumblers.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:19:54 PM EDT
[#9]
give a three year old a pick and some time. He'll have it off in a few minutes for you.

ETA: Better yet - if you're in a real hurry, get a fat kid to do it, and tell him there is a cookie inside.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:29:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the replies guys.  I just told him to get another gun and shoot it off.  Seriously though, he should be able to get it taken care of.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top