Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/20/2016 7:57:44 AM EDT
Its not that bad.
Had a coupon for Jones brand, so I got a small 8 oz tube and ate it on crackers.
Now, the "cheap" brands, I'm still afraid of.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:05:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Today you are a man!

JK.

Try it on some good seeded rye bread with brown mustard and a cold beer on the side. That is fine living, my friend.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:13:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Today you are a man!

JK.

Try it on some good seeded rye bread with brown mustard and a cold beer on the side. That is fine living, my friend.
View Quote

That sounds good.
I've liked the stuff on crackers with cheese.
I'm still not sure about sardines though.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:16:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Wunderbar!
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:20:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Half the reflexive fear of it comes from the name. Combine "liver" and "WORST" and few American kids are going to be willing to open their mouths to it for the first time. I mean, if I were 8 again, I doubt I would be too keen on ingesting some funky paste called, "brainhorrible" or some shit.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:24:05 AM EDT
[#5]
What about Hogs head cheese?
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:29:26 AM EDT
[#6]
put in a thin slice of onion
goes good with the mustard and wurst

toast the bread too, if you want

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:32:14 AM EDT
[#7]
"Terrified"?    "Afraid"?
Seriously?
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:34:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:34:55 AM EDT
[#9]

I always ate it with extra crusty Italian bread.

Then I grew up, read the medical info, and haven't had any in 50 years.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:43:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Awesome stuff.    I get it sliced at the deli, and love it with crusty bread.   Try it as a snack when downing a good lager.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:47:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Is that the same as Braunschweiger? I love Braunschweiger
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:48:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Yum.  Liverwurst with a nice slice of Vidalia onion on white bread with good German mustard.  

Reminds me of my childhood.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:48:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Zinc, iron, niacin, protein.  Sounds like healthy stuff to me.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:49:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes.  It's awesome.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:51:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Today you are a man!

JK.

View Quote

add some thin sliced red onions and then you're truly A Man...sorry, needed to mansplain the experience..
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:52:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

what, you want to live forever?
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:53:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Now, if you want to, try seeded rye with a couple over easy eggs on top.  Or seeded rye with a slice of onion and a slice of limburger cheese.  OR seeded rye with a slice of onion and beer kaese cheese.  OR sardines and soda crackers.  OR pickled pigs feet and crackers.  OR, well there are many more old world food experiences you can try ... if you have the nerve to try.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:53:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Has to be purple onion on toasted rye with some good mustard
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:54:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:58:04 AM EDT
[#20]
That used to be my 2am go to food when I was coming home from the bars. 
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:59:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Kinda, braunschweiger is creamier and more spreadable.

OP order some Liverwurst from Usingers in Milwaukee. Best meat ever. Its a staple of my diet.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:00:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Today you are a man!

JK.

View Quote

Onions, you need thick slices of onion.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:30:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Ate the stuff since I was a kid.

Wonder bread
Kraft single cheese
Miracle whip
And smear the wurst on like past

Scrumptious.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:32:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Fry a slice and put it on an egg and cheese sandwich. so good.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:35:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Today you are a man!

JK.

View Quote
Add a slice of Provolone cheese too
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:43:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Good stuff.  I get it smoked from a local sausage house.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:52:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Pig snouts....do they  de-snot them before they grind them up for liverwurst?
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:05:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Liverwurst and onions on rye is da bom!!. Though I do prefer mayo on mine which is a bit blasphemous to some.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:06:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

add some thin sliced red onions and then you're truly A Man...sorry, needed to mansplain the experience..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Today you are a man!

JK.

Hell yeah.
A frosty mug of Pabst or Blatz to wash it down.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:14:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Mom used to make me liver sausage samwiches when I was a kid. White Wonder bread, slathered with Mayo, and a healthy amount of liver sausage. It was delicious
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:17:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is what we always called it. And its amazing
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:33:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Liverwurst (or Braunschweiger) don't really taste like liver at all. They taste to me like most soft sausages, and not far from the cheap potted meat pastes.

Liver and kidney I have never eaten, but from what I've read they have a stronger taste. Something about them gives me pause - maybe the fact that they aren't readily available. I'm not sure. I don't have a problem with the rest of the offal meats (I love scrapple and head cheese, for example). Organ meats are generally good so I will have to try.

Sardines and anchovies, on the other hand, just taste like fishy salt.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:41:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I believe Braunschweiger is Liverwurst with milk added.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:03:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Now try the Sulze
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:17:27 AM EDT
[#35]
My grandmother used to make me liver sausage on rye sandwiches when I was a kid.  I still eat it from time to time, mostly for the nostalgia.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:38:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Try it on some good seeded rye bread with brown mustard and a cold beer on the side.
View Quote

With some red onion and munster.   Fucking delicious.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:52:42 AM EDT
[#37]
I've loved it since I was a kid.  My Mom and Grandmother loved it too. Dad and my Brother hated it.  Kind of a pattern going there.  Oh wait, my wife hates it too.  lol
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:52:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That sounds good.
I've liked the stuff on crackers with cheese.
I'm still not sure about sardines though.
View Quote

There is a huge difference between cured anchovies (the canned ones) and white anchovies. When you think anchovies you are thinking of the pungent hair-boned fishy ones, those are packed with salt and cured, becoming dark and fishy.

You need to look for white anchovies, they come typically in a clear plastic package, are bone white, packed in olive oil and a touch of vinegar. They have absolutely zero bones, are firm not mushy, no fish flavor, and are delicious on some buttered toast. Literally a completely different product (with different uses, more antipasto than ingredient).
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:55:45 AM EDT
[#39]
I remember liking it when I was a kid, with mustard.  Matter of fact, I don't think I've had it since I was a kid.  Some of the suggestions sound pretty interesting.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:57:22 AM EDT
[#40]
FPNI
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:57:54 AM EDT
[#41]
I impulse buy some Braunschweiger about once a year, enjoying the taste on crackers.  Delicious.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:59:34 AM EDT
[#42]
I loved liverwurst as a kid. Haven't had it in ages. May have to try it again.

Swiss cheese, mustard, and toasted bread.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:04:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Next try blood sausage.

I'm not going to, because jeezes... but you could.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:05:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Today you are a man!

JK.

View Quote

This

Brown mustard and Onion slices.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:07:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Today you are a man!

JK.

View Quote

This.

As we age our tastes change. I hated the stuff when I was a kid. Now it's a staple in my sandwich rotation.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:12:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
This thread is inspiring me to try it!
Never have
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
This thread is inspiring me to try it!
Never have

Give it a shot. I HATE liver, love me some liverwurst. Go figure.

In the United States, Braunschweiger refers to a type of liverwurst (pork liver sausage) which, if stuffed in natural casings, is nearly always smoked. Commercial products often contain smoked bacon, and are stuffed into fibrous casings.

The USDA requires that the product contain a minimum of 30% liver. A typical commercial formula is about 40% pork liver or scalded beef liver, 30% scalded pork jowl, 20% lean pork trimmings and 10% bacon ends and pieces. Added seasonings include salt and often include white pepper, onion powder or chopped onion, and mace. Curing ingredients (sodium erythorbate and sodium nitrite) are optional.

Braunschweiger has a very high amount of vitamin A, iron, protein and fat. The meat has a very soft, spread-like texture and a distinctive spicy liver-based flavor, very similar to the Nordic leverpostej. It is usually used as a spread for toast, but can also be used as a filling for sandwiches, often paired with stone-ground mustard, sliced tomato, onion and cheese. In the Midwestern United States, braunschweiger is typically enjoyed in a sandwich with various condiments such as ketchup, mustard, and dill pickles, or simply spread on crackers. There are also a few recipes for pâté and cheese balls which use braunschweiger as a primary ingredient. Pâté is creamier than braunschweiger.

Quoted:

Everything in moderation. Besides, if you add years to the end of your life you're only prolonging the time you spend toothless, drooling on yourself, looking at your shriveled noodle.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:16:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Half the reflexive fear of it comes from the name. Combine "liver" and "WORST" and few American kids are going to be willing to open their mouths to it for the first time. I mean, if I were 8 again, I doubt I would be too keen on ingesting some funky paste called, "brainhorrible" or some shit.
View Quote

This is why I come back.  Concise,  usable info that makes me laugh.  Brainhorrible lol.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:30:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I impulse buy some Braunschweiger about once a year, enjoying the taste on crackers.  Delicious.
View Quote

I tend to buy Braunschweiger for winter snacking on crackers. I rarely buy it in the warm months. Same thing with pickled herring.

Now I need to go to the grocery store.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:36:24 PM EDT
[#49]
I tried it.

Yuck~!!!  

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:56:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
"Terrified"?    "Afraid"?
Seriously?
View Quote

Have you ever read the ingredient and nutritional information label? Terrified and afraid ARE words that come to mind. Used to love this stuff as a kid, just can't bring myself to eat it these days....along with scrapple.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top