Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/25/2013 2:11:54 PM EDT
Where does Starfleet source their materials? I understand power is obtained through antimatter which solves half the problem, but what about all the material used to build and maintain the fleet?

Also when giving directions/headings what reference system are they using? Obviously there are no poles to find magnetic or true north.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:13:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Replicators and and heading 3-7-6 blah blah.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:13:53 PM EDT
[#2]
All members of the Federation supply materials used in creating the Starfleet.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:14:37 PM EDT
[#3]
For navigation in space they use star charts---astro-navigation

Quoted:
Where does Star Fleet source their materials? I understand power is obtained through antimatter which solves half the problem, but what about all the material used to build and maintain the fleet?

Also when giving directions/headings what reference system are they using? Obviously there are no poles to find magnetic or true north.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:15:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Asteroids and planets.

Duh...
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:16:00 PM EDT
[#5]
They have mining colonies and star charts.

Not a Trekkie, but I have enjoyed the various iterations of Star trek over the years.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:16:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Where does Star Fleet source their materials? I understand power is obtained through antimatter which solves half the problem, but what about all the material used to build and maintain the fleet?

Those aren't star charts.  Those are the entries in Kirk's intergalactic poon book.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:19:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd bet he tells Sulu to set course for those green chicks, warp factor 5

Quoted:

Those aren't star charts.  Those are the entries in Kirk's intergalactic poon book.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:21:12 PM EDT
[#8]
They trade with the Ferengi. Steal from the Romulans, Klingons, and Vulcans.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:21:46 PM EDT
[#9]
The Federation = Social Democracy
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:23:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty much. But there are also commercial mining operations.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:25:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote

Finally, the right people in charge...

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:27:05 PM EDT
[#12]
The federation uses cheap Chinese labor for mining raw materials. Then they have illegal mexicans build the damn starships in An Iowa corn field since they dont have to pay for their medical insurance thru Obummer Care since they are exempt.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:28:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Navigation is based off the center of the galaxy, and the galactic ecliptic.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:30:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Energy and mass are interchangeable.

You've got a giant reactor/warp drive thingy cranking out 87 gigawatts, so you can just make whatever matter/materials you want with surplus energy via the replicators.

Much easier than transporting a freighter full of ore 90000000000000000 miles.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:37:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Astro Glide!   There has got to be a good joke in that somewhere.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:42:48 PM EDT
[#16]
More importantly, what do they do with all the things they replicate?  Every time Picard orders a cup of tea there's another cup laying around.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:48:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Headings are based off nautical/aviation. "360" is north/forward. ""235" would be south west/back left.
"Mark" would be ascension/declination.  Ie, what angel up or down.

At least thats what i think it is.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:51:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Everything is recycled
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:51:45 PM EDT
[#19]
You guys never heard of "Dilithium Crystals"....
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:56:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

On sale at Wallmart right now.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:57:40 PM EDT
[#21]
There are replicators but they do mine a lot. There are lots of references to mining colonies and varies companies throughout. The replicators are always small so I imagine they are too power intensive to be used on large scale objects but the universe is full of raw materials.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:57:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Headings are based off nautical/aviation. "360" is north/forward. ""235" would be south west/back left.
"Mark" would be ascension/declination.  Ie, what angel up or down.

At least thats what i think it is.
View Quote

I was about to post something similar.  

And for any unused material that came out of the replicator, ie Picard's tea mugs, just toss 'em back in the replicator.  It can materialize things, and it can dematerialize them as well.

Which is why they have to have something which logs the materials that are put into the replicator, otherwise you could murder someone and then just feed their body into the replicator.  And it would become raw matter that would be reconverted into anesthetic in sickbay, or Troi's chocolate sundaes.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:59:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Just dropped in to say the Trek SUCKS!!!

Star Wars bitches!
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:59:47 PM EDT
[#24]
They get their supplies from the Orion Syndicate and their green women.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:00:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Like the old bumper sticker said:

Earth First!
We'll mine the other planets later!

The Ol' Crew Chief
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:01:29 PM EDT
[#26]
There are poles in space relative to the galaxy.  Galactic North, etc.  Also, you'll hear the nav coordinates given in a way not unlike our Long and Lat.  Also, Starships orient along the X and Y axis and then Z axis as well.  ie:  "Z-minus ten thousand meters, stand by photon torpedoes."  

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:02:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You've got a giant reactor/warp drive thingy cranking out 87 gigawatts, so you can just make whatever matter/materials you want with surplus energy via the replicators.

View Quote

Prior to replicators, they had mining operations across the federation. Even when Voyager was on, which was the latest of the series, they still mined dilithium. It appears to be the one of the few things they can't replicate, like Biomemetic Gel.

According to the tech manual, they use replicators for most things in TNG, and pull from raw element stores. They also convert hydrogen that floats free in space and collect with the nacelles.

Complicated shit still takes a long time to replicate, so they have store rooms for critical parts.

For example, in Voyager, they built the Delta Flyer from replicated parts, but still used on-hand parts too, from the stores.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:03:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
More importantly, what do they do with all the things they replicate?  Every time Picard orders a cup of tea there's another cup laying around.
View Quote

Replicators recycle.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:04:57 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote

Aren't those the things you make when you save your pee?

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:07:24 PM EDT
[#30]
A better question would be, what is the trouble with tribbles?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:09:57 PM EDT
[#31]
They get everything from the Flux Capacitor.  Oh wait...........
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:12:51 PM EDT
[#32]
The federation strip mines planets.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:12:57 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote
Which they found a way in the series to rejuvenate, IIRC. They only need to mine it for new ships.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:31:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Like the old bumper sticker said:

Earth First!
We'll mine the other planets later!

The Ol' Crew Chief
View Quote

Earth first!
Make Mars our bitch.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:34:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Which they found a way in the series to rejuvenate, IIRC. They only need to mine it for new ships.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most people will be surprised to know we're using crystals to manipulate antimatter now, although currently work is limited to silicon, germanium and diamond.

real world star trek.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:35:18 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote
The cups, bowls, plates, etc are kept in a transporter matrix until needed.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:37:29 PM EDT
[#37]
324 Mark 45. 324 would be bearing off the ship Mark would be the vertical attitude. As for materials...the universe is a big place with a lot of stuff.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:43:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Most of the material to build  starships comes from Home Depot hardware stores. Food and clothing from Sam's Culb , sometimes Cosco.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:57:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Most people will be surprised to know we're using crystals to manipulate antimatter now, although currently work is limited to silicon, germanium and diamond.

real world star trek.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

real world star trek.  

The whole series was put together by the RAND corporation. (as a nod, they named Yomen Rand..) So it was based on theory in the late 60's.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:21:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Where does Starfleet source their materials? I understand power is obtained through antimatter which solves half the problem, but what about all the material used to build and maintain the fleet?

View Quote

The first part of a heading is XXX, which is some degree in the 360-degree "flat" plane.

The second part is "mark YYY," which is the (upward/downward) pitch of the vessel through the 3-dimensional space.

Example:

"Heading 180, mark 045" would mean "turn the ship directly back to the rear, and tilt the ship 'up' 45 degrees."

"Heading 090, mark minus 045" would mean "turn the ship directly to the right, and tilt the ship 'down' 45 degrees."

If you want to "lower" the ship without any other axis movement: "Z minus XXX meters."

To "raise," it's simply:  "Z plus XXX meters."

It's actually a relatively simple system, considering it's about space travel and all.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:35:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Replicators are used for a lot of manufacturing (the source matter can be most anything), but some large items are still cheaper to manufacture.

Actually, many contractors that supply parts and subsystems are recognizable as evolutions and combinations of current big companies.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:57:49 PM EDT
[#42]
I've been re-watching the entire original series for the past few days. It never gets old.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:14:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Slave labor camps manned by the people not smart enough or attractive enough to be starfleet officers (and why are they all officers?) is where the raw material must come from.  

The bussard collectors would take far too long to collect enough hydrogen to make anything of much use, like if they had to replace hull plates.

In "First Contact" picard told the black girl that people no longer work for money or want of possessions, and a bunch of other commie utopian crapola.  
Anti matter would take a tremendous amount of power to collect and store.  There are no (or only two)robots/androids we know of, so who does all the menial labor, besides Boothby?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Deus Ex Machina Corporation
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:29:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

The energy is being made by breaking down matter, so it's at best a zero-sum game.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:38:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

The only place Sulu wants to go is Uranus.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:47:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh My...

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:47:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

heading is based on ships position.in 360 degree plains.
first number is horizontal plain, second is vertical plain.

ships are made mostly out of "duratainium" mined like any other metal ore
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:52:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Just dropped in to say the Trek SUCKS!!!

Star Wars bitches!
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:55:23 PM EDT
[#50]
The headings are based off the plane of the galaxy.  

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Heading

Asteroids are mined for metals, at least in STO

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top