Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2003 4:22:51 AM EDT
I never liked tree huggers and now I frickin hate trees.

I was standing in my kitchen with my wife about 90 minutes ago and there was a little storm passing through. Nothing major so I decided to take a look out our back patio. Just as I do this, the wind picks up from zero to holy shit instantly and next thing I know is I'm watching a 50+ foot tree heading my way.

It landed on the roof about 15 feet to my right. Nice size hole in the roof and a whole lot of mess everywhere. I don't think I'll make the fireworks tonight. [:)]

Gotta go - the tree service just came. I'll try to post some pics if anyone is interested.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 4:33:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 4:58:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Dang, thats not good.

I hope the damage wasnt too bad, and I hope it get fixed without much trouble.

Go get heaps of fireworks and usem on any tree you can in retaliation
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 5:04:37 AM EDT
[#3]
my wife want me to plant some trees near our house for shade/landscaping.

i have a hard and fast rule: no trees within a fall radius of the house or barn.

i hope your insurance takes good care of you. good luck, saz!
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 5:43:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Saz we got hit with that puppy about 07:40 that was a nice little storm. The one following it doesn't look that bad though. Sorry to hear about the roof, now you got me wondering if the tree in my backyard is still standing. The wind pick up was hella crazy just like you said zero to holy shit in a snap. Kicked up a helluva dust cloud out of the parking lot accross the street.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:02:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Tuff luck guy. I hope that you insurance carrier does right by you. I worry about the same Ive got a monster row of trees behind my place ( Not mine either!) mostly maple and a
couple of huge elms shortest being about 60'.
So not much more than doing damage control
have a couple of beers and go watch the fireworks,try and make the best of the rest
of the day.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:32:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I want pics.

Don't cry though, you won a rifle (back during the last drawing). [:D]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 11:14:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I want pics.

View Quote

Thankfully there isn't much to cry about. We've been very lucky. The guy from the tree service was awesome and had a crane here to help with the removal just a couple of hours after touchdown. And on top of that, he used a bunch of aluminum roof flashing and tar to temporarily seal up the holes for us. Not bad for the 4th of July. Also, the builder that we wanted to work with was able to stop over while the insurance dude was here so things are already in motion. All in all things are going as well as they could.

All in all, things are going pretty well. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow morning. I'm not to handy with this stuff though so I won't make any promises.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 12:03:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want pics.

View Quote

Thankfully there isn't much to cry about. We've been very lucky. The guy from the tree service was awesome and had a crane here to help with the removal just a couple of hours after touchdown. And on top of that, he used a bunch of aluminum roof flashing and tar to temporarily seal up the holes for us. Not bad for the 4th of July. Also, the builder that we wanted to work with was able to stop over while the insurance dude was here so things are already in motion. All in all things are going as well as they could.

All in all, things are going pretty well. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow morning. I'm not to handy with this stuff though so I won't make any promises.
View Quote

If you have problems, email 'em to me, and I can try. Can't promise much, but I can try it. [:)]

How'd you like the rifle you won?
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 1:34:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Damn, sorry about the house.

I keep all trees away from the house, sewer lines, septic tank, drain fields, water lines, etc.

Also one word for tree removal "DET CORD".

ED
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top