Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 10/12/2004 9:44:41 AM EDT
Every time I shop some where big I need to show my receipt to make sure I didn't steal their shit. What fucking horse shit. It really starts to piss me off. You can go spend $700 and then be treated as if your not supporting their business instead stealing from them.

Worst time, at one store I was flat out asked if I had stole any thing, my response "go fuck your self" than walked out.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:46:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe it is your disposition on life that creates your problems
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:46:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, but did you STEAL anything?  Huh?  Are you trying to hide something?  Show me your damn receipt!  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:47:09 AM EDT
[#3]
You actually stop for those people?

Just walk poast them dude.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:47:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:47:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

So you have never been asked for a receipt or such?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:47:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Every time I shop some where big I need to show my receipt to make sure I didn't steal their shit. What fucking horse shit. It really starts to piss me off. You can go spend $700 and then be treated as if your not supporting their business instead stealing from them.

Worst time, at one store I was flat out asked if I had stole any thing, my response "go fuck your self" than walked out.

+1

I agree completely.  This pisses me off everytime I run into it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:48:21 AM EDT
[#7]
What do you look like?

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:48:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:49:08 AM EDT
[#9]
This is a long read, but funny as heck.  Guy ignors the Best Buy recipt checkers and all hell breaks loose

www.die.net/musings/bestbuy/
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:50:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
How are you dressed and groomed?

Walk in looking like a dirbag, expect to be treated like a dirtbag.
Walk in looking like a million bucks, and you COULD steal stuff and nobody would look twice at you.

CJ

good point. Anyone out there own a suit and want to help me steal a canoe from Wallyworld?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:50:27 AM EDT
[#11]
I walk right past them all the time.

I was told that the reason for checking your receipt against what is in the bag is mostly to check on the employees.  Cashiers have their friends come in and they ring up one or two items and just put the rest in the bag.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:50:47 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Walk in looking like a million bucks, and you COULD steal stuff and nobody would look twice at you.

CJ

Well being I am in the white collar world, I keep myself groomed, my beard shaved, clean clothes ironed shirts. Clothes that fit.

Maybe it is because I am young.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:51:55 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CJ

good point. Anyone out there own a suit and want to help me steal a canoe from Wallyworld?

LMAO, lets do it. We will fill it up with movies and such. And just stroll right out.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:52:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Stores are dumb.

Yesterday I went to Vons to buy some groceries.  Outside of the store were three huge boxes full of large pumpkins.  Every pumpkin had a sticker with the number "4737" on it.

As if it was possible to mistake a pumpkin for any other item in the store.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:53:00 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you have never been asked for a receipt or such?

Not one time
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:53:24 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Stores are dumb.

Yesterday I went to Vons to buy some groceries.  Outside of the store were three huge boxes full of large pumpkins.  Every pumpkin had a sticker with the number "4737" on it.

Its so the checker does not have to remember one more produce code.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:54:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Stores are dumb.

That's the number the clerks punch into the computer to ring up the cost of the pumpkin ya dumbass!

SGatr15
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:56:44 AM EDT
[#18]
I have been asked occasionally. I generally ignore them, and have occasionally been followed to my car by a panicky clerk. I told one once "I feel threatened. Get away from my car or I will arrest you." That did the trick.

The one time I actually spoke to one at the door, I was asked to show my receipt. I asked "Why?" "Please let me see your receipt," was the reply. I shouted "Are you accusing me of stealing?" That terminated the encounter.

It is an offensive practice and shouldn't be tolerated.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:57:24 AM EDT
[#19]

While warehouse stores do have the right to check your receipt, Washington, D.C., attorney Donald Temple, who specializes in retail discrimination law, says employees cannot cross-check it with the items in your cart.

www.smartmoney.com/consumer/index.cfm?story=tenthings-december02
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:00:09 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Stores are dumb.

That's the number the clerks punch into the computer to ring up the cost of the pumpkin ya dumbass!

SGatr15

I know that, you cat-grabbing monkey.  In my misspent youth I worked at a grocery store.

Almost none of the other produce items have stickers in Vons.  Checkers have cheat-sheets, and experienced ones have all the produce codes memorized.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:02:33 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CJ

I'm in VA, wanna meet in MD and see if we can get two canoe's and a TV?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:02:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:03:27 AM EDT
[#23]
If you would pull your damn pants up, wear a clean shirt and get a haircut. They would not hassle you as much!

Hippy!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:05:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:08:44 AM EDT
[#25]

My 80 year old father got  some shit from a Wallyworld asshole as he was leaving the store. He flat out told the manager that if he was 20 years younger he would whip his ass right on the spot.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:11:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Fry's Electronics does that around here.  I just expect it.  There was one time it was actually a benefit.  A buddy and I went and bought all the parts for a computer.   Well, the guy checking us at the door caught a mistake... they charged my buddy TWICE for a motherboard, and they put the wrong board in the basket!    We'd have been pissed since we were leaving close to closing time that night.    They got us the right stuff, and credited him for the double charge on the board.  

We got his computer up and running that night.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:13:22 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Fry's Electronics does that around here.  I just expect it.  There was one time it was actually a benefit.  A buddy and I went and bought all the parts for a computer.   Well, the guy checking us at the door caught a mistake... they charged my buddy TWICE for a motherboard, and they put the wrong board in the basket!    We'd have been pissed since we were leaving close to closing time that night.    They got us the right stuff, and credited him for the double charge on the board.  

We got his computer up and running that night.

Understand your story, however I watch what goes into my bag and what I am charged, I add it up before I ever get to the cashier and then just add my 7% tax onto it for I know the exact amount if over or under I will check every thing.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:17:34 AM EDT
[#28]
So what happens when you guys go to Sam's? Just walk by the 'Highlighter'?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:20:00 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

CJ

Actually, I work at a very high end retailer, and it's the well dressed people who steal from us, not the ones who look like dirtbags.  Part of my orientation was an hour of watching professional shoplifting rings try and steal expensive italian suits, ladies handbags, and sportswear.  It's amazing how fast those guys work.  Also, if our loss prevention groups makes what is known as an unproductive stop, we are legally liable for making it.  We've been sued more than once because of it.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:20:10 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
So what happens when you guys go to Sam's? Just walk by the 'Highlighter'?

Uh...Yes!

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:20:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:21:13 AM EDT
[#32]
I don't shop at Walmart for several reason, one of them being their asking for a receipt upon leaving the store w/o reason for suspicion.

Their merchandise legally becomes MINE the moment $ changes hands.  Even if I'm in their store, it's my stuff now and they can FOAD if they think I will prove it to them.  They can check with the cashier if they want.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:27:23 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Uh...Yes!

Sgatr15

Quoted:

Yes.  I walk by everyone.  I will not stop and voluntarily allow them to consume my time.

I'll see how it works for me but I'm gonna guess not well
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:30:26 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I don't shop at Walmart for several reason, one of them being their asking for a receipt upon leaving the store w/o reason for suspicion.

Their merchandise legally becomes MINE the moment $ changes hands.  Even if I'm in their store, it's my stuff now and they can FOAD if they think I will prove it to them.  They can check with the cashier if they want.

Weird.  None of the Wal-Marts in Houston or DFW that I've been to do that.  They only ask to see the receipt if the "inventory conrol system" goes off when you try to leave the store.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:31:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Shoplifting at K-Mart went out in the 80's......WTF?????
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:38:29 AM EDT
[#36]
This happened to me once in Target.  I was asked to see the receipt to "verify the sale", I said no thank you and kept walking.  The security person actually grabbed my arm and said "You need to show me the reciept!".  I said "Unless you wish to have me respond in turn to your assault, I would let go of my arm right NOW.  I walked out.  I got to my truck and the manager came out and told me I couldnt leave without them "verifing the sale".  I asked if they were going to hold me against my will?  He didnt answer and said that they were going to call the police, I said "if you dont let me leave right now, I am going to call the police".  I asked if they were accusing me of shoplifting, the manager said no.  I rolled up my window and called 911, as they were still standing behind my truck and not letting me leave.  The officer was there in like 2 min, told them to move and said I could leave.  The Manager was yelling at the cop as I drove off.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:42:10 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Weird.  None of the Wal-Marts in Houston or DFW that I've been to do that.  They only ask to see the receipt if the "inventory conrol system" goes off when you try to leave the store.

Well, they do in Ohio where I work.  The ICS beeping is the only time I feel the store has probable cause to demand proof of purchase.  The only time it happened to me was at another Ohio Wal Mart, and I gladly complied because it was obvious that the screener at the door HAD to assume one of two things: A) The cashier forgot to untag the item or B) I was trying to steal a pair of boots.  

Correct answer was A.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:50:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Never seen this.  I'd just ignore him.  He touches me, he'll hurt.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:50:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:51:55 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Stores are dumb.

SGatr15

I know that, you cat-grabbing monkey.  In my misspent youth I worked at a grocery store.

Almost none of the other produce items have stickers in Vons.  Checkers have cheat-sheets, and experienced ones have all the produce codes memorized.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:52:27 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

SGatr15

+1 I completely ignore the receipt checkers.  I have already paid for the goods, the transaction is complete.  They have no right, at all, to inspect my person or my cart.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:55:31 AM EDT
[#42]
I just like to give them a nice "Fuck you. Have a nice day"!!!!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:56:06 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SGatr15

+1 I completely ignore the receipt checkers.  I have already paid for the goods, the transaction is complete.  They have no right, at all, to inspect my person or my cart.

I don't know about your state but many states have a "shopkeeper's privilege" that allow them to do exactly that.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:57:45 AM EDT
[#44]
I work at Costco where they famously check the receipts at the door.

The store does this because we are not equipped with any of the fancy tagged items that alert alarms at the door.

Checking the receipt is the only way to tell if someone leaving has paid for their items or are simply stealing them.

Why don't we have the fancy alarms that sound if you're stealing?  To keep costs LOW.

I can't speak for Wally World and Target but for those of you who "walk past" the checkers at Sam's or Costco, just remember my explanation.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:02:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:04:43 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

The store does this because we are not equipped with any of the fancy tagged items that alert alarms at the door.

Checking the receipt is the only way to tell if someone leaving has paid for their items or are simply stealing them.

Why don't we have the fancy alarms that sound if you're stealing?  To keep costs LOW.

I can't speak for Wally World and Target but for those of you who "walk past" the checkers at Sam's or Costco, just remember my explanation.

What I don't understand is how ANYONE can verify my receipt when I usually have $200-300 worth of stuff bagged/boxed without going to through each bag or box which they obviously don't.  I usually have to wait for the chain of 8-10 families/carts in front of me and all they do is put a little yellow highlight on it and send you on your way.

Guess I'll have to start the walk-by method.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:06:25 AM EDT
[#47]
I get checked every time I leave BJ's.  I don't get stopped very often at all otherwise.
And yes, they check my recipt against the items in my cart every single time.

Just remember that if anyone ever grabs you or forcibly blocks your path, that's assault.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:07:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Isn't the REAL reason to keep you from putting your stuff in the car, walking back in with the receipt, and walking out with another one?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:08:04 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SGatr15

I don't know about your state but many states have a "shopkeeper's privilege" that allow them to do exactly that.

Name them, and post links to the law.

NO store can force you to show proof of purchase.  Reasearch this a bit, and you will find out that the moment any coercion exists, or appears to exist, they are very close to, if not over, the line of arrest.  And then they better pray they are right, because the criminal charges and civil suits WILL come down on them like the Hammer of Thor.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:08:44 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I fully understand WHY it's being done.  It's just that I don't care.

No offense to you.

+1.  Your store's problem is NOT my problem.  Find some other way of dealing with it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top