Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/16/2003 1:23:31 AM EDT

As a pilot I've always dreamed of living in a fly-in community.  That's just off the charts wild.

news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,7848398^13780,00.html

Travolta parks Qantas jet at home

November 13, 2003

JOHN Travolta has found a way to get home faster than greased lightning - by parking his Qantas jet just metres from his back door.

The star now keeps a Boeing 707 jumbo next to his new mansion in Jumbolair, a "fly-in community" about 130km north west of Orlando, Florida.

The gated estate where Travolta built his home includes a a 2.3km long runway, which is long enough for 707s to take off and land.

"The great thing is I can park my jets in my backyard," he said.

One part of the $4.9 million family mansion resembles an air control tower.

The 1950sqm house also has eight bedrooms, 10-car garage, and two hangars. A carport conceals a walkway that connects the cockpit to the back porch.

Travolta's smaller Gulfstream jet is parked in a corner away from the house.

Travolta bought the 707 in 1998 and kept the old '60's style logos on its exterior.

The interior was remodelled to include a bar, couches, beds and several TVs.

Travolta, 49, was appointed an ambassador for Qantas in June last year and piloted the 707 around the world as part of the airline's Spirit of Friendship tour.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 1:30:33 AM EDT
[#1]
what a crappy place to LIVE
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 1:31:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought he bought a 747 a while ago.  He has owned a couple of airline jets, they're not as expensive as you might think.  727's are like 500,000-600,000 dollars.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 1:40:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Where does he keep his alien spaceship?
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 5:29:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I thought he bought a 747 a while ago.  He has owned a couple of airline jets, they're not as expensive as you might think.  727's are like 500,000-600,000 dollars.

I wonder how much maintenance sets him back on those retired airliners!

When he's ready to leave the house does he call his wife for a push back from the gate......uh, I mean car port!
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 5:34:38 AM EDT
[#5]
That's Travolta's personal 707, and that crap on the vertical tail is photoshopped on.

Quantas, nor does any other large passenger  airline that wants make money, does not fly 707's.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 5:54:14 AM EDT
[#6]
BzzzT! WRONG!

One of the guys who was my E-6B flight sim instructor is an ex-US Navy E-6B Flight Engineer who is also the Flight Engineer for Travolta's 707.

Travolta's 707 was a former Quantas 707.

FAA N-number: N707JT

FROM CNN:
(CNN) -- Actor John Travolta -- an experienced private pilot -- has agreed to fly his Boeing 707 around the world in eight weeks to promote Australia's Qantas airline.

"As a kid I'd collect all the history of airlines," said Travolta, 48, who shot to stardom in 1977's Saturday Night Fever. Qantas "just seemed to stand out."

Qantas -- an acronym for the oldest airline in the English-speaking world -- was originally called Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Service.

In fact, Travolta's 707 was actually in service for Qantas in the 1960s. "I don't have my business card, but I do have my Qantas license and Qantas wings," Travolta said.

The star of Pulp Fiction, Swordfish and Urban Cowboy said one reason he undertook the job was to help to restore a sense of security and goodwill in the aftermath of the September 11 attacks.

Travolta, who has a son named Jet, said the position includes compensation. "I have a small salary, which is fine with me," he said. "I'd have paid them to do this."

The trip -- dubbed the Spirit of Friendship Tour -- stops at 13 cities including Hong Kong, China; Tokyo, Japan; London, England; New York and Los Angeles, California.

FROM QUANTAS

www.qantas.com.au/regions/dyn/au/publicaffairs/details?ArticleID=2002/aug02/2726

John Travolta becomes Qantas “Ambassador-at-Large”
Will pilot original Qantas 707 during

“Spirit of Friendship” global tour in July/August

Los Angeles, 24 June 2002:

Australian-based international airline Qantas today announced that international superstar John Travolta has joined the company and has become its "Ambassador-at-Large".

Qantas also announced that following extensive sessions at its Sydney headquarters and with Boeing in Seattle, Mr. Travolta has successfully completed 747-400 First Officer simulator training.

Qantas Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director Geoff Dixon, presented Mr. Travolta with his "wings" at Los Angeles airport today. Mr. Dixon said the airline was delighted to welcome Mr. Travolta to the company as "Ambassador-at-Large".

Mr. Travolta said that, as part of his new role with Qantas, he would pilot his own aircraft, an ex-Qantas Boeing 707 jet specially painted in its original Qantas 1960s branding and livery, across the globe to 10 countries on a Spirit of Friendship tour.

The Spirit of Friendship tour will include visits to 13 cities around the world between 1 July and late August this year.

Commenting on Mr. Travolta's appointment, Mr Dixon said: "It's no secret that John is an avid fan of aviation. He is also a keen and talented pilot, and supporting his Spirit of Friendship tour is a fantastic way to showcase Qantas in its major overseas markets.

"The tour is also a unique opportunity for Qantas to underscore its commitment to international tourism."
Mr. Travolta said he chose the Spirit of Friendship theme for the tour following the shocking events that the world has experienced in the past 12 months.

"The past year has been awful for our sense of security and goodwill and also for trust and friendship between different cultures and countries," he said.

"I'm undertaking this tour to extend the hand of friendship - to reach out, to cross borders, make contact, rekindle friendships and make new friends. That's why I've teamed up with Qantas, an airline which embodies the spirit of Australia and the spirit of friendship. I've always admired the Qantas safety record and culture and I've been attracted to its values of quality, openness and friendliness."

Mr. Travolta will fly from Los Angeles to Auckland in New Zealand, Sydney, Melbourne and Perth in Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Tokyo, London, Rome, Paris, Frankfurt and New York before returning to Los Angeles. The tour involves about 80 flying hours and covers more than 35,000 nautical miles (64,700 kilometres).

As "Ambassador-at-Large" Mr. Travolta has become a Qantas employee and will, during the global tour, spend time with fellow Qantas employees in each market.

Mr. Travolta purchased the ex-Qantas 707 four years ago and has been an enthusiastic aviator since his childhood.

About Qantas

Established in the Australian outback in 1920, Qantas is the world's second oldest airline and one of the world's leading long distance airlines. The Qantas Group operates an extensive network serving 140 destinations in Australia, Asia, the Pacific, the Americas, the UK, Europe and southern Africa. The Qantas Group carried more than 22 million passengers in 2000/2001 and employs more than 30,000 people worldwide. It operates 197 aircraft - 118 in the core Qantas jet fleet and a further 79 flown by QantasLink serving regional destinations throughout Australia.

Quoted:
That's Travolta's personal 707, and that crap on the vertical tail is photoshopped on.

Quantas, nor does any other large passenger  airline that wants make money, does not fly 707's.

Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:01:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

You forgot to add 10 or 20 or 30 million to customize.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:07:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Aviator
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:15:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Is Travolta still a Scientologist?  Never understood how an intelligent person could fall for that BS.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:21:32 AM EDT
[#10]

I thought he bought a 747 a while ago. He has owned a couple of airline jets, they're not as expensive as you might think. 727's are like 500,000-600,000 dollars.

When I worked for Hewlett-Packard, we were giving away PCs to the rich and famous for the marketing exposure. Most of these people never expected to pay for anything from us simply because of their name. We would even get requests that sound like demands from off-spring and relatives.

So, to address your statement of not being "as expensive as you might think". I seriously doubt that Mr. Travolta pays for the Quantas jet. It is most likely that Quantas appointed him ambassador to maximize tax write-offs.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:25:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:30:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

The star now keeps a Boeing 707 jumbo

First time I've seen a 707, called a "jumbo...
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:48:22 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The star now keeps a Boeing 707 jumbo

First time I've seen a 707, called a "jumbo...

707 is to "Jumbo Jet" as Scientology is to religion. A simple matter of misapplied terminology.

I wonder, though, if just out of a sense of irony, Travolta ever calls the cops to complain about the neighbors' noise. I would! Hee hee hee.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:48:52 AM EDT
[#14]
John Travolta's Boeing 707 is a Boeing 707-138B, it is Boeing Manufacturers Number 18740 and it was the 388th Boeing 707 to roll off the Boeing 707 production line on August 9th, 1964.

The aircraft was produced for Quantas airlines, it was registered as VH-EBM. It was sold to an American Cargo hauling company, was assigned FAA N-number N108BN and was to have been converted into a cargo aircraft.
The conversion was never started, and in 1998 it was purchased from the company by Travolta's LLC, JETT CLIPPER JOHNNY LLC.

It is powered by 4 Pratt and Whitney JT3D-1 (HK3) turbojet engines.

The JT3D-1 engines that are in use on Travolta's aircraft do not meet the current Stage Two noise requirements for the USA and do not meet the Class Three noise requirements for Europe. Travolta has not been able to operate the 707 outside of the USA since August of 2002.

The aircraft is currently undergoing testing at the Mojave airport with Stage Two hush kits to see if it can be modifed to meet Europes Stage Three limits.

It is not a photoshopped picture, anyone who thinks that is full of shit.

The aircraft is owned by Travolta's LLC, it is not owned by Quantas. Anyone who thinks that is full of shit.

FAA INFORMATION

Registered Owner
Name:
JETT CLIPPER JOHNNY LLC  

Street
C/O CSC 2711 CENTERVILLE RD #400  

City
WILMINGTON  

State
DELAWARE    

Zip Code
19808-7645  

County  
NEW CASTLE  

Country  
UNITED STATES  

Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:57:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Speaking of ex-QANTAS-liveried ships, I noticed that on the Discovery Wings channel program about the Connie that was renovated, when Lockheed repainted the plane, instead of "QANTAS" on the fuselage, "CONNIE" was present, but in the correct typestyle. Could it be that QANTAS did not officially sanction the Conine rebuild, while Vinnie Barbarino's jet is part of a publicity campaign, thus QANTAS allows the livery to remain? In KC here, the ex-TWA 749 Connie bears "SAC" (Save-a-Connie) where "TWA" should be.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 8:55:25 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Speaking of ex-QANTAS-liveried ships, I noticed that on the Discovery Wings channel program about the Connie that was renovated, when Lockheed repainted the plane, instead of "QANTAS" on the fuselage, "CONNIE" was present, but in the correct typestyle. Could it be that QANTAS did not officially sanction the Conine rebuild, while Vinnie Barbarino's jet is part of a publicity campaign, thus QANTAS allows the livery to remain? In KC here, the ex-TWA 749 Connie bears "SAC" (Save-a-Connie) where "TWA" should be.

I doubt it. They probably just wanted to have the focus on the plane rather than who used to own it.

Owning a 707. That's pretty slick right there.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 5:00:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Its QANTAS not QUANTAS.  No U in it.  Stands for Queensland And Northern Territory Air Service :)
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 5:03:23 PM EDT
[#18]
I will write QANTAS 100 times on notepad.

That good enough?

Quoted:
Its QANTAS not QUANTAS.  No U in it.  Stands for Queensland And Northern Territory Air Service :)

Link Posted: 11/16/2003 5:05:32 PM EDT
[#19]
good enuff for me :P

A few people here spell it with a U as well but they usually cant spell properly anyway
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 5:08:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 5:16:02 PM EDT
[#21]
that's awesome!
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:16:34 PM EDT
[#22]
They are not the same posts.
The 'other'post does not go into detail like this one does about Travolta's 707.
Why in the fuck do people post this shit 'double post' when the post they refer to is burried 10 pages and is three responses long while the post they are bleating about being a double post is on page one and is chock full of information.

Quoted:
Dupe post. www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=215073

Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:40:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Oh well...

To big...

If I had millions, I'd rather have a MiG...
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 8:24:09 PM EDT
[#24]
When you see him, be sure to ask about Xenu.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 8:57:27 PM EDT
[#25]

Is this his place down in Ocala?  Forget the name, but flew down there with a friend of my wife's from Gainesville.  

Horse farm.  Long runway, bed & breakfast type place.  It was a Sunday afternoon 'brunch'.  Had to be at least 50 planes there.  The approach took us over them, then we returned to the 'parking lot'.  Walked through a huge berm. They do a big feast on Sunday. Rumer had it that he owned a place outside of Gainesville as well.  One & the same maybe.

Link Posted: 11/16/2003 9:02:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Didn't he once try to fly a used military plane like a C-130 or a jet? Then he backed off due to complaints by neighbors that it was too loud?
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 9:07:37 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Damn right. While it would be neat to own a 707, it's basically a big flying bus.

If I had that much cash, lesse, F-5, A-4, F-86, Mig-2x, Mi-24, B-25, etc. etc. etc.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 9:22:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Have any of u seen the inside of the plane?  Its bloody beautiful!  Leather everywhere...ALOT more comfortable than a MiG
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 10:11:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,3600,301310,00.jpg

As a pilot I've always dreamed of living in a fly-in community.  That's just off the charts wild.

news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,7848398^13780,00.html

quote]

As a line service technician, that bitch gotta be a mofo to back out of there.  I find it interesting how he also has a Gulfsteam G2 (appears to be anyway) on the otherside of the house.  I'm not calling B.S. because its prolly real, but where the hell does he turn his big ass 707 around?  
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 10:18:15 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I'm not calling B.S. because its prolly real, but where the hell does he turn his big ass 707 around?  

I'm wondering the same thing!!! First he's gotta have someone run the little car thing that pushes him back, he's gotta have enough room to turn around, and then I assume he's got the thing fired up unless he gets a push all the way down the road.  That means he blasts his house with the jets as he's pulling out (might be bad on the paint?).  Not to mention - if they are any neighbors nearby, wouldn't they be pissed? Even though it's an avaition community thing.  Damn.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 10:19:19 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn right. While it would be neat to own a 707, it's basically a big flying bus.

If I had that much cash, lesse, F-5, A-4, F-86, Mig-2x, Mi-24, B-25, etc. etc. etc.

You can't cart a dozen hotties around the world, in luxury, in a MiG!
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 10:28:49 PM EDT
[#32]
I would sell the 707, and purchase a Mig 15. Did anyone else see the other $20million air craft in that pic that he owns?
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 10:55:48 PM EDT
[#33]
you'd be suprised on some of the prices on mig 15's. the soviets were really strapped for cash when that litle collapse occured. the russians were selling them as fast as they could. however im sure the people that have them now would most likely sell them for a hell of a premium.

i myself would be happy with a pitts 1-c....less costly to maintain compared to a mig or a 707.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top