Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2006 4:22:22 AM EDT
I'm generally more comfortable when I'm traveling if I have a rifle or shotgun in the truck with me.  I've never needed it, and I hope I never will, but it's nice to know it's there.  I generally stay in motels, but because of work recently I ended up staying in a hotel where we had a good rate.  I had a 16" AR w/ a collapsible stock & a case *just* long enough for it.  Unfortunately as I was going to my room late at night the employee at the door noticed the unusual bag & asked it it was a musical instrument.  I told him it was a guitar & went on to my room.  It was in a black nylon assault rifle case which does sort of look like a guitar case if you aren't into guns.  There wasn't anything illegal about what I was doing, and I wasn't about to leave it in the truck in a hotel parking lot.

I need to figure out a less conspicuous way to carry a rifle/shotgun/carbine w/ me.  I could go to a Sub2000 and put it in a bag which isn't a gun case, but I'm more comfortable having at least a poodle shooter instead of a pistol caliber carbine.  The discreet bags I've seen still look like a gun case to me.  It looks to me as if I either need to find a much more discreet bag or go to a smaller rifle/carbine which can fit in a bag which doesn't scream gun.  Because of budget considerations any smaller carbine would have to already be in my gunsafe.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:55:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know how much room you have in your vehicle. I've gone through my bookmarks and the only one I can find thats still a good link that doesn't look like your average gun case is this:

www.tuffpak.com/retail/category1.asp?D=D0117&S=S0165&G=G1&C=C0282&N=1

also check out the Contico gun case at:
(no direct link)
www.bagmaster.com/

It doesn't scream "gun case" to me.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 5:11:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Buy a used, beat up guitar case, fill it with cut out foam and put some band stickers on it.....you are good to go.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 5:13:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Just break it down and carry it in a gym bag,that's what I do.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 5:25:34 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Just break it down and carry it in a gym bag,that's what I do.

Or a toolbox.  I've done both for quite a while now because of my traveling.  People don't often question toolboxes, backpacks, and duffle bags.  

Never leave it in your vehicle overnight and never leave it in the room during the day!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 5:37:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I use a bag that a lawn chair comes in.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:48:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Thats what I love about my KelTech Sub9.  Neatly fits in an old attache case.  Nothing to see here, just a businessman with his briefcase. Move along.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:54:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thats what I love about my KelTech Sub9.  Neatly fits in an old attache case.  Nothing to see here, just a businessman with his briefcase. Move along.

That's my alternate option which I was trying to avoid.  I've got a Sub2K which takes Glock 19 mags, and I've got a stack of G18 mags if I want highcap, but I'm more comfortable having an AR or shotgun than a pistol caliber carbine.   That's probably what I'll end up doing since I don't like the idea of hauling around a disassembled & cased rifle.  That's getting too inaccessable in a time of need.  My choices basically come down to an AR pistol, 16 or 20" AR, Mini-14 w/ folding stock or a Sub2K.  I've thought about doing something w/ a garment bag. I think I could get at least an AR pistol to fit in one if necessary.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top