Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2005 5:08:53 AM EDT
I travel extensively and have to access my laptop more than ever. I am OK with 115VAC/60HZ but I am now traveling to countries with 220VAC/50HZ. I do have dual voltage battery chargers for my laptop, digital camera, I-pod etc. But will all this electronics i think I need a surge suppressor for the both voltages. I see that some suppressors are rated at 330V clamping, is this a dual voltage surge suppressor? Anyone sell dual voltage suppessors?
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:09:27 AM EDT
[#1]
....any takers....
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:13:24 AM EDT
[#2]
You'll want a Recoton model ADF50

you can probably get them at Radio Shack

Note that the AC adapter on your laptop will handle up to 250 volts/whatever Hz if you can figure out how to get the plug into the wall

Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:15:33 AM EDT
[#3]
My tech-fu is weak, but I can tell you to be very careful. A client I was traveling with fried a very expensive cutting-edge laptop by muffing the voltage while in Europe.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:18:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Get another laptop and hook the two to split the 220 voltage down to 110
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:21:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Verify if your laptop's charger is 100-220 or just 110.  If it's just 110 then you'll need a convertor, one of the cheap ones that you get as a worldwide convertor.

The 50/60hz doesn't matter as your charger turns it all into DC.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:25:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Get another laptop and hook the two to split the 220 voltage down to 110

Geee whiz I never would of thought of that!
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:26:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Note that the AC adapter on your laptop will handle up to 250 volts/whatever Hz if you can figure out how to get the plug into the wall

that is the kind of info I needed, will look it up...
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:27:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Verify if your laptop's charger is 100-220 or just 110.  If it's just 110 then you'll need a convertor, one of the cheap ones that you get as a worldwide convertor.

The 50/60hz doesn't matter as your charger turns it all into DC.

All of the stuff is dual vlotage but the surge suppressor is rated at 125VAC.....
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:37:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Check the power supply on the laptop. As was said before, all of them will handle a wide range of power if you have the adapter to plug it in the wall. The IBM one I am looking at now will handle 100v-240v @ 50-60 hz.
As for what you are looking for, we found a power conditioner for around 70 dollars. It has a over power and brown out protection, just incase. It basically is a cube about 5x5x5 that has 4 outlets on it, and will cut power if it goes over or under a certain voltage, for countries you can't be sure of the power output. Not sure what its range was though.
http://www.altex.com/product_info.php?cPath=25_38_190&products_id=650
guess it is only good for 120, but if you use a converter for it first, then plug into it, you should be good. Not that big or heavy.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:41:35 AM EDT
[#10]
When I went to England last year all I needed was the plug adapter.  A ran the stock power supply that came with the computer.  It takes whatever is coming in and converts it into current compatible with the computer.

It's a Gateway and the AC adapter is model ADP-90HB B

Input: 100-240 V

Output: 19 V
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:42:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

No it will most certainly NOT   I HOPE you were joking....

Power supplies are designed specifically for a particular input / output voltage.
The transformer inside and the voltage regulator/filter/rectifier circuits are ONLY meant to be used with the input voltage indicated.  

Try plugging your laptop power supply into a 240V outlet and let me know what happens....

Unless it's specificaly designed for 120/240V operation  (with an input voltage selector switch) NEVER try and plug it directly into a different voltage.    

At the very least, you'll fry the supply / computer....... And you may very well cause a fire.

*insane electrician rant mode off*

Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:52:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:55:05 AM EDT
[#13]
APC has a universal power  brick that will run off your car, the airplane, or any type of AC source.

# Features:   Adapter tips
# Airline Adapter
# Automobile Adapter
# Business card holder
# Convenient Carrying Case
# Double-stitched seams
# Durable construction
# Mesh pocket
# Nickel fittings
# Non-slip shoulder pad
# Removable - spill-proof pouch
# Single Power Source
# Six-sided foam protection
# Specially designed pockets
# Universal Notebook Power Adapter
# USB charging ports
# World-wide compatibility

TravelPower Case Synthetic Leather 1000 cu-in

Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:55:53 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure it will. Most laptop AC adapters are dual voltage (without a switch) for this very reason.

Other stuff will need the voltage converter.

Link Posted: 3/11/2005 7:03:07 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Power supplies are designed specifically for a particular input / output voltage.
The transformer inside and the voltage regulator/filter/rectifier circuits are ONLY meant to be used with the input voltage indicated.  
Try plugging your laptop power supply into a 240V outlet and let me know what happens....
Unless it's specificaly designed for 120/240V operation  (with an input voltage selector switch) NEVER try and plug it directly into a different voltage.    
At the very least, you'll fry the supply / computer....... And you may very well cause a fire.
*insane electrician rant mode off*

I believe that the afore-mentioned laptop frying occured when the client used a plug adapter rather than a converter to plug his laptop's power/charger cord into a laptop in France or Germany.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 7:15:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Read the specs on your AC adapter.  If it says input 100-240 V , then you will not have a problem.  I have used my laptop and digital camera AC adapters in the UK, Germany, and China in the past year with never a problem.  You will need the appropriate wall plug adapter.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 3:31:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Like the previous posters said my I-pod, my Canon digital camera, my JVC video camera and my laptop are all dual voltage, my problem is surge suppression, protecting all my stuff, and especially in 3rd world terlets, you can sometiems see the lights flicker on and off, dim and sometiems go off and on for longer stretches....
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 3:49:26 PM EDT
[#18]
My father took his personal laptop on a business trip to England 2 weeks ago.  Some airport employee stole it from his suitcase.  Arrived at his hotel in England and all his clothes, ect, were there but his computer was gone.  Be careful.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:02:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
My father took his personal laptop on a business trip to England 2 weeks ago.  Some airport employee stole it from his suitcase.  Arrived at his hotel in England and all his clothes, ect, were there but his computer was gone.  Be careful.

So much for airline security, makes you really feel safe knowing stuff like this happens, as easily as someone can get away with taking something, someone can easily put something on a plane, yeah the war on drugs, too.....
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:13:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Yup- most laptops can handle either- just read the fine print on the power supply.

Alot of Desktop power supplies will have a 120/240 V switch on the back.  I use
both in Europe on business sometimes, and the desktop is the only thing I have
to remember to flip any switch on.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top