Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2017 12:44:22 AM EDT
Need advice from the Hive. I have read the applicable state laws but want a bit of affirmation.

I will be traveling from South Carolina to Iowa in a few days with my girlfriend. I have a valid SC Concealed weapons permit which is not honored in Illinois, so my pistol will be unloaded and placed in the trunk. She is covered under LEOSA(Deputy Sheriff) but will probably follow the same protocol. I will be taking along an AR Carbine as well(14.5" pinned and welded BCM) and several 30 round mags.
Any additional legal issues I need to be concerned with?
(Edit) We do not plan to stop or exit the vehicle in Illinois, but obviously not all situations are foreseeable.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:48:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Have her bring a badge and ID and she will be fine..... IL isn't NYC
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:08:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I love these threads. Stop being a pussy and drive through the state.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:14:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I think that in Illinois you are ok as long as the firearm does not leave your vehicle.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:17:30 AM EDT
[#4]
You can’t carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle without a valid Permit/license.
430 ILCS 66/
(e)
Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non
-
resident from trans
porting a concealed firearm within his or her
vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non
-
resident:
(1)
is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
(2)
is eligible
to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as
evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of  
residence, if applicable; and
(3)
is not in possession of a license under this Act. If the non
-
resident leaves his or her vehicle
unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in
accordance with subsection (b) of Section
65 of this Act. (Source: P.A. 98
-
63, eff. 7
-
-
13.)
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:21:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Actually, to do it legally you need to stop at the first police station after the state line and submit to a cavity search, it's a new law.

Obviously I kid, carry it loaded and in the car as you drive through. You can't leave your car carrying it or out of a case (unloaded).

It's not like we're New Jersey....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top