Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2001 10:53:47 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 10:56:23 AM EDT
[#1]
What do you do, and do you have any openings?  Gulfstream...lucky bastard.

Anyway, NYC is fairly strict on knives I think.  If you go back commercial, just make sure it's in checked luggage.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 10:59:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 11:06:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks like as long as you keep the blade under four inches, you're okay.  Of course, no switchblades, etc.

[url]http://trainingblades.com/mdlaw.htm#New York[/url]
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 11:15:56 AM EDT
[#4]

I'm a geologist. This guy owns a oil field and my Dad and I consult for him about it. So far, we've made him about $40 million. I probably shouldn't say any more.
View Quote

Lucky you....Did you get any percentage out of it?....

Just go and enjoy the City..... no need to bring anything with you. Don't forget to drop by to say hello to Waverunner and Co. (NY finest).
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 11:20:28 AM EDT
[#5]
truthfully, if you're worried about street crimes, don't. mid-town is a very high-brow area, and you'll be fine. there are tons of cops here now, and a few troops, plus crime has been falling here for a decade.

the tin-foil-beenie types like me have been reduced to carrying rolls of quarters or sharpened credit cards! nothing illigal about a 12" solid steel rod...yet.

if you're still concerned, and want some ideas,  E-mail me. however, due to my commute, i won't be able to reply until like 19:30 Eastern.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 11:38:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll be in NYC Wednesday afternoon, and Thursday morning. I used to do the commute in every day.

Always have a pocket knife and my cane. I don't actually need the cane to walk, but I have the scars to prove that I do if it came down to that [:)]

Link Posted: 10/23/2001 12:14:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 12:24:45 PM EDT
[#8]
If he can afford the Gulfstream, he can afford a bodyguard for you [;)].
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 12:26:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 12:45:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 1:41:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 1:48:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Just stay away from poorly lit areas at night you probably will avoid being beaten with led pipes by a bunch of gang members. [BD]
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 2:16:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
BTW, we can spot you country boys from 3 blocks away.[):)]
View Quote

Would that be with or without the ear rings, septum ring, and tongue stud? [:D]

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 2:16:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I spent the first nineteen years of my life living within sight of the building from "Good Times," and even during the crack years, I didn't feel all that insecure.  I was mugged only once, and that was pretty trivial.  OTOH, I had some classmates who were shall we say "delicately white," often mugged and they resorted to carrying phazer tear gas which worked very well.  

Of course, if you don't know where you are and wind up in Morningside Park at 2:00AM, I can't vouch for your safety, but the idea of carrying pepper spray is probably about right.  You can generally make a couple of poor judgements, and it doesn't sound like you will be in much danger.

I think the key to NYC safety is a matter of staying out of the wrong places at night.  If you're tucked away by nightfall, you'll be fine.  Last I checked, you could fit in if you dressed heavily in black and other drab colors.

Have fun.  It's an interesting place, but I like Boston a lot better.  Enjoy the transsonic trip.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 2:26:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I will most likely be traveling via private jet (Gulfstream, oh yeah), so I doubt I will be searched.
View Quote

You won't be.  Those private flight crews are the most polite people you'll ever meet.  I got to fly to Portland, OR on one of Enron's Falcon 900's last November, and it was a great time.  I could have carried anything I wanted on the plane.  My wife dropped me off literally in front of it, they put my suitcase in the cargo area, and we were off before I really had time to settle in.

Hopefully you're flying out of one of the private strips off of IAH.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 3:30:35 PM EDT
[#16]
It's been mentioned already.  I'd say a small knife and pepper spray.  If you go commercial on the way back, put it in checked luggage.

Those Gulfstreams are very nice.  I have yet to fly on one, but I got to take a tour of a GV once...now if I could just find me a spare $40mil...
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 3:39:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Those Gulfstreams are very nice.  I have yet to fly on one, but I got to take a tour of a GV once...now if I could just find me a spare $40mil...
View Quote

The latest thing for the frugal millionaire is the time-share private jet.  So, you just need to find enough people to help you pay for it.  Of course, for most of us that would still be prohibitive.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 3:45:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The latest thing for the frugal millionaire is the time-share private jet.  So, you just need to find enough people to help you pay for it.  Of course, for most of us that would still be prohibitive.
View Quote

True.

*breaks out calculator*

Let's see...$40mil divided by...perhaps an AR15.com G-V...How many users are there on here again?
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 6:10:21 PM EDT
[#19]
brouhaha, what everyone else said. NYC is very safe if you don't mess around in the not so good parts of the city. Don't go past 100th St in the north and don't go past the numbered streets in the south (well parts of it are blocked anyway). NYC has probably one of the tightest security of any big city in the US because of the whole WTC thing. We now not only have increased police patrols, but also armed National Guards patrolling the streets. Just last week there was an anthrax scare at 51st street and a group of National Guards helpfully calmed down a large group of frantic commuters. So if you're worried about getting mugged, don't worry about it. 57th street is very upscale, barring another terrorist attack, you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 7:59:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top