Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2004 4:40:25 PM EDT
I'm up in the rockies of Colorado right now and am planning on buy ing a few 6 packs of various microbrewers to take home with me to Dallas. Is there anything illegal about that? we're talkin maybe 24 beers total.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 5:11:50 PM EDT
[#1]
You have to do a form 18 for each can of beer and have it sent in to the BATF. Its only a 5 dollar stamp though (per can). you also have to setup someone in texas with a liquor license to handle the transfer on that end. Should only take about 6 months, so the wait isnt that bad.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 5:19:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah and don't forget, you have to stop at all agriculture stations on the way back and show your paperwork.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:21:18 PM EDT
[#3]
[rofl]

OK so maybe it was a stupid question.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:30:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Not really you just aren't transporting  enough alcohol to warrant concern.

I have heard it is bad news to have a large amount of alcohol on Indian Reservation lands. Source AAA book
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:34:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
[rofl]

OK so maybe it was a stupid question.
View Quote

Booze in NH is quite cheap.  In MA it is heavily taxed (on top of Fed Tax).  There are many NH Liquor Stores just inside the border with MA.  I've always wondered whether bar owners made 'runs' up here for cheap alcohol and whether or not it is illegal to do so.  (I'm sure it is.)  I don't think it's such a stupid question, but I think you would have to bring large quantities of [b]hard liquor[/b] before running into any problems.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:52:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a FAL (Federal Alcohol License). This means you can ship the alcohol directly to me to ensure I forward the empty containers to Texas so you will get them. It is legal for a private citizen to only ship to an FAL, but the FAL can only legally ship empty containers to private citizens. The laws the law! [):)]

I used to fly home with microbrews every time I came back from Colorado. Just make sure you carry on otherwise can end up with beer on all your clothes in the luggage bay.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:53:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Not really a stupid question! There are stupid laws to protect the state and it's right to
collect taxes on alcohol. Maine and New
Hampshire, Maine is now out of the State
operated liquor business, and disbanded
it's Liquor Enforcement (Sworn Officers)
which used to harrass Mainer's shopping for
bargains at the New Hampshire run stores
(also Mass.) by having maximum transportation
limits, which are One gallon of hard liquor
and one gallon of Beer, PER VEHICLE not PERSON. The law is still in effect and enforcable by any sworn officer in the state.
Other state's may have similar laws though
obscure they're still a way to get some
extra bucks from you!!!! Generally one large
beer cube won't get you into much trouble
(even though in Maine it contains more than
the legal amount,new technology after the law
was written about 50 years later).
 In years gone by Maine Liquor Enforcement
Officers (Up to about a year ago) used to
routinely stake out some N.H. State stores
for Mainer's over buying and stop and summons
upon returning. I have'nt heard of any this
Holiday season as I said they were disbanded
and state store's closed in favor of private enterprise.
It really was a good question, even though my response is from a different area, some other states may have similar dumb laws.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:53:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Your best bet would be to load the beer up in a semi truck, and have a cowboy in a black, 1980s era Trans Am run decoy for you...while you and your basset hound transport the beer from Colorado to Dallas.

Just beware of the smokies.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:00:47 PM EDT
[#9]
last I checked crossing into Mississippi with more than 3 cases of beer is bootlegging.  I was really tempted to stock up on Shinerbock while I was in Houston, that stuff sell for cheap there, around these parts it is treated like some friggin yuppie import at $9 a sixer
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 9:01:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Booze in NH is quite cheap.  In MA it is heavily taxed (on top of Fed Tax).  There are many NH Liquor Stores just inside the border with MA.  I've always wondered whether bar owners made 'runs' up here for cheap alcohol and whether or not it is illegal to do so.  (I'm sure it is.)  I don't think it's such a stupid question, but I think you would have to bring large quantities of [b]hard liquor[/b] before running into any problems.
View Quote

When I lived in Niagra falls my landlord who ran a bar said he wished he could use liquor from the duty free, but he couldnt get away with it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 9:41:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a FAL (Federal Alcohol License). This means you can ship the alcohol directly to me to ensure I forward the empty containers to Texas so you will get them. It is legal for a private citizen to only ship to an FAL, but the FAL can only legally ship empty containers to private citizens. The laws the law! [):)]
View Quote

Your best bet would be to load the beer up in a semi truck, and have a cowboy in a black, 1980s era Trans Am run decoy for you...while you and your basset hound transport the beer from Colorado to Dallas.

View Quote

[ROFL][LOL] You guys are killin me.

Aight I appreciate the legal advice. Basically don't get stopped in a dry county. If I would ,be make em chase me to the county line. Gotcha! [;)] I should be ok.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 9:50:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't forget the Sunshine Wheat... Mmmm, Sunny Wheat....
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 9:51:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think that was a 78 or 79 trans am.  I got one just like it incase you need it.  I also know someone who thinks they are Burt Reynolds.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 9:59:05 PM EDT
[#14]

No offense man, but are you kidding?
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 10:06:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes it is illegal!!!!!!!!!!!

The only way to do it legally is to come through OKC and let the local Constabulary (me)
sample it.  Then you can be on your way.

[booze]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 10:14:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll post pictures of my selections and even give you a review one night as I enjoy them all.
[:D]
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 10:07:28 AM EDT
[#17]
The movie came out in about 1977 so it is probably a 1977 car.  They drove from Atlanta to Texarkana and back.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 10:54:48 AM EDT
[#18]

It's funny you ask this question.

Back in the late seventies and early eighties, when I lived in Lawton, Oklahoma. We would always make beer runs to Wichita Falls,TX.
Reason was Oklahoma has piss water beer law. Alcohol not in excess of 3.2 percent. So we would drive to Texas to get 6.0 beer.

We would even take orders at high school. Ditch school on Friday's and go to Texas. Come back with about 100 cases. Yes we would even make a little money. That is to pay for our beer and gas money.

Alot of this Texas to Oklahoma beer runs continue today. It seems Oklahoma dosen't want the taxes that could be collected on beer.

One good thing about Oklahoma law is you can buy beer(3.2 percent) 24/7/365.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 11:38:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It's funny you ask this question.

Back in the late seventies and early eighties, when I lived in Lawton, Oklahoma. We would always make beer runs to Wichita Falls,TX.
Reason was Oklahoma has piss water beer law. Alcohol not in excess of 3.2 percent. So we would drive to Texas to get 6.0 beer.

We would even take orders at high school. Ditch school on Friday's and go to Texas. Come back with about 100 cases. Yes we would even make a little money. That is to pay for our beer and gas money.

Alot of this Texas to Oklahoma beer runs continue today. It seems Oklahoma dosen't want the taxes that could be collected on beer.

One good thing about Oklahoma law is you can buy beer(3.2 percent) 24/7/365.
View Quote

Yes, we still make the beer runs.
However you cannot by beer between 0200 and 0600 hours.  New law about 3 years ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top