Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2006 10:48:21 AM EDT
Ok, and NO I'm not tying her to the roof, shooting her, drugging her, having her stuffed, yadda yadda yadda.

I'm driving from ID to the east coast, so it will be a fairly long trip. Has anyone done this with a cat before? I am planning on having a crate for her, but what do I do about the litter box, should I feed her less? A friend suggested I fly her and drive myself.

And I have to drive, as I am moving and taking my car with me.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:49:32 AM EDT
[#1]
well with the glowing eyes i would think it could fly too. i would steer well clear of a cat with laser death eyes.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:50:21 AM EDT
[#2]
go with a leash, cats can run fast.

TXL
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:50:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Jesus!  It's shooting lasers at you.  Run.

That said, my dog doesn't eat much on the road.  I would let it run around the car and put a litter box on the floor in the back.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:50:40 AM EDT
[#4]
And NO it's not 'shopped. She really is evil.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:52:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow that cat looks possesed.  Is this you or the cat talking?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:52:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Fly the Cat Are Shitting me?

Let the cat roam the car while you drive......do not feed it the entire way..may sound cruel, but last I checked cats do not crap when you let them outside like dogs.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:53:26 AM EDT
[#7]
OH MI GOD!!!

That cat just burned a hole in my arm with it laser eyes!  Don't let Al Queida get that animal!!!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:55:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I have solution. You'll need to get a cork and some superglue...

Just kidding. Won't the cat hold it? Can't you just lock her up in the cage and stop periodically to let it take a dump?

I drove from Michigan to Texas with my dog. It took 2.5 days. She just curled up on the back seat (stuck her head out the window every once in a while) and enjoied the ride. When I stopped for gas or food I would let the dog out and she'd take care of business. Then it was back on the road.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:55:23 AM EDT
[#9]
When I take the cat on longer drives, I let him roam around the car - and have a covered litterbox in the back (just in case).  Since cats can go for weeks without eating or drinking, I don't worry too much about a water bowl.  Since I drive a stationwagon, I fold down half of the seats and just let him roam around the entire car (with the covered litterbox way in the back).  Most of the time, he'll just find a dark place and hang out there anyway - like on the floor, behind one of the front seats.

You just need to be careful (obviously) when you are stopping and getting in/out, that she doesn't escape.

I GUESS the cat would be in trouble if I got in a collision, but it's a small risk I'm willing to take.  Plus, if the box isn't secured, it woudl be flying around the cabin as much as the cat anyway - so I'm not sure he would be that much better off in an insecured box (and, even in a secured box, he woudl be violently flung up against the side of it).  So I just try to not be in a collision.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:58:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd keep it in the crate for it's own as well as your safety. I travel with my small dog and he always stays in the crate. Take a leash so you can stop and let it out  for a stretch.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:58:13 AM EDT
[#11]
If you shove real hard... should fit in the glove box easy enough
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:58:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Under stress a cat will poop like crazy and in a small car that means SMELL! Also don't let it run around free as you drive. It will freak and get under your brake pedal sooner or later. Can you put her in the back of the truck?

Go to your vet and have him give you some happy pills that you'll cut up as directed. Give some to the monster every AM before you start off. Crate's are good.

Any way you slice it, it won't be much fun for either of you.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:03:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Another thing that you could do is just leave the cat on the porch of your house in ID and let it wander out to the east coast on it's own. I saw that in a movie once.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:03:31 AM EDT
[#14]
I have travelled with cats before.  Be prepared for the cat to scream like it is dying, at least in the first part of the trip.  After awhile they will settle down.  Also be prepared for the cat to get sick.  It doesn't matter if you don't feed it before you travel as they can still throw up stomach juices.  Only one of my cats did this, it didn't do it much when it was younger but as it got older it couldn't make a 20 minute drive without getting sick.

I second letting the cat roam around the car, eventually it will find a place to settle down in but that first hour will probably be rough.  Just make sure it doesn't get under the pedals or in the steering wheel.  I would only bring a little water for it to drink while traveling and only feed it if you are stopping for the night.  The cat will most likely be too stressed to eat anything anyway.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:06:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I drove from Colorado Springs to Fairfax, Va., via San Antonio, Tx with a Siamese as a companion back in 77.  We were in a '69 Camaro. Cat box behind passenger seat, scooper and a can of
Glade handy. Going into Tenn., the muffler fell off my car. By the time we made it through Tenn., I was noddin hard, and that cat started pukin', I hadnt realised it was more than fatigue, but it must have been monoxide poisoning causing me to nod.
Havin that cat along probably saved my hide. He hadnt started pukin', and I would have just kept goin' till I passed out and wadded it up.

DaddyDett
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:06:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:06:55 AM EDT
[#17]
If the cat gets wet for any reason, secure him out the window by his tail. Act like your drying some laundry. It works.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:08:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Under stress a cat will poop like crazy and in a small car that means SMELL! Also don't let it run around free as you drive. It will freak and get under your brake pedal sooner or later. Can you put her in the back of the truck?

None of those things have ever happened to me - so I don't think it is an absolute statement, but definitely something to worry about (and plan for).

And I have driven quite a bit with my cat during this last year.  Never gotten under the pedals or under my seat, and has never actually used the litterbox that I bring along (in 12 long trips this year, at least).
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:10:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:11:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:13:09 AM EDT
[#21]
I hauled two cats and a dog from Florida to Utah in a Uhaul.  Oh yeah, it was fun.  Actually, it wasn't bad at all.  Planning is the key.  Motel 6 takes pets and make sure to have a small litter box for stops.  Make sure food and water are on a strict schedule.  Cats will walk on leashes and those little harnesses.  However, I would advise against doing it with two cats at a time.  They will be tangled up in seconds.

ETA: Oh yeah, and a small can of mace works well when someone's dog gets a taste for pussy (cat) at the rest stop.  The owners get pissed but the same can works on them, too.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:14:38 AM EDT
[#22]
My advice is the same a Swire's and DK-Prof's, based on similar experiences.  My only comment is that I box the cats up all the time.  For some reason, they ALWAYS head right for my footwell, and they try to come back after being pulled out.  If my wife is in the car, she will ocassionally let one out of his carrier and hold him for a while.  I've never had a cat puke, crap, or pee inside the car.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:15:19 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:ETA: Oh yeah, and a small can of mace works well when someone's dog gets a taste for pussy (cat) at the rest stop.  The owners get pissed but the same can works on them, too.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:16:16 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

None of those things have ever happened to me - so I don't think it is an absolute statement, but definitely something to worry about (and plan for).

And I have driven quite a bit with my cat during this last year.  Never gotten under the pedals or under my seat, and has never actually used the litterbox that I bring along (in 12 long trips this year, at least).

I travelled successfully several times.  However, the first hour or so is an absolute nightmare every time.  One cat foams at the mouth like he's Cujo and the other WILL, I REPEAT, WILL shit somewhere.  The last trip to the vet it was on top of the back seat between the seatback and the rear window.  Fortunately that spot is all plastic but it was rotten as hell until I could get stopped and clean it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:17:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Friend of mine has evacc'ed from the MS coast a few times with two cats.  Vet gave him sedatives.

Depends on the cat though.  Try taking the little bugger for a 60-90min car trip, see how he reacts.  I've had some that would just curl up on your lap and sleep.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:18:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Not a bad idea to have someone ship your cat via an airline and you meet it on the other end.  I've never done it, the weather was too hot the time I considered it.  Otherwise, I really would have tried it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:18:40 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I travelled successfully several times.  However, the first hour or so is an absolute nightmare every time.  One cat foams at the mouth like he's Cujo and the other WILL, I REPEAT, WILL shit somewhere.  The last trip to the vet it was on top of the back seat between the seatback and the rear window.  Fortunately that spot is all plastic but it was rotten as hell until I could get stopped and clean it.

Eeeew.  

I like my cat even more now.

He doesn't freak out at all - he just meows for about ten minutes, and then gives up.  

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:21:11 AM EDT
[#28]
When I moved from Ohio to Oklahoma, my cats had free roam of the car.  I have a litter box that is basically a 20-30 gal sized rubbermade tub with a hole cut in the top.  The cats hop in from there.  I use Tidy Cat Crystal Blend litter which really does a good job of covering odor.  Scoop it every time you stop and there really isn't an issue.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:21:46 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Eeeew.  

I like my cat even more now.

He doesn't freak out at all - he just meows for about ten minutes, and then gives up.  

Yeah, the foamer squalls at the same time.  It sounds absolutely terrible, like he feels like i'm killing him.  I'm pretty cold about stuff like that, usually, but he gets to me when he does it.  It makes me feel like shit.  Well, right up until the other cat takes her mystery crap somewhere.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:24:43 AM EDT
[#30]
How much stuff are you moving?  Are you renting a truck?  Will you trailer your car?  I did and I got the rental truck with the extra space behind the seats in the cab.  It was really large enough for a lot of stuff.  I used it for the cats and dog, though.  I built it up with boxes and then blankets on top and the litter box on one side.  It was high enough that they could all see out, which seemed to calm them a little.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:26:38 AM EDT
[#31]
My vet gave me very mild tranquilizers for my cat when I needed to travel with her.  It might make things easier on you (and the cat).

I kept mine in the cage, but between the seats so she could see me, and let her wander around outside on a leash when we stopped.  Make sure the motel you get accepts pets, and bring her litter box into the motel.  She may not even go the whole way (mine didn't, and I drove from Atlanta to Boston).  Mine didn't eat much either.  She was amazingly very good on the ride.  I put something of mine in the crate with her (and old t-shirt, a pillow case, whatever) so she has a comforting scent to sleep on.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:27:57 AM EDT
[#32]
The real question is what is a self respecting man doing with a cat?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:29:34 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
The real question is what is a self respecting man doing with a cat?

Who said anything about self-respect?  I used to be married.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:29:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:35:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Hey, I have 14 firearms...doesn't that balance out the cat?

Besides, I love my widdle cuddly-pie cutsie pooh!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:44:14 AM EDT
[#36]

Go to vet for kitty downers.

Better living through chemistry.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:49:04 AM EDT
[#37]
If the cat won't ride for an hour or so without yowling, I wouldn't do it again.

Before the trip is over you will give serious thought to pulling onto the shoulder to put the cat and yourself out of misery.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:56:41 AM EDT
[#38]
freeze dry?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:12:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Try 30-60 minutes or so in the car to see how the cat reacts.

Only cross country drive I took with a cat, she did fine just left to roam in the car... sometimes would look out the window, occacionally would curl up on someone's lap, but actually spent most of the time sleeping either under a seat or under a blanket in the back seat.

Bring a small litter box for hotel room or whatever, crumpled up newspapers worked ok but she wanted something litter box like to know that it was ok to go there.  Cats won't go on command, or while being watched, you have to give them the litter box and let them go when they feel alone.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:26:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:30:00 PM EDT
[#41]
I drove from Northern California to San Antonio. I made reservations at motels that would let a pet stay with you. I stayed at Howard Johnsons. I drove about 7 hours a day. The cat rode in its carrier. I gave it food and water and the litter box at the motel. It did just fine on the road. John
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Good.  Fucking.  Luck.

If you drug her, make DAMN sure it knocks her out, or you will be sorry.  Don't fly her - a bigger risk of death/abuse than you would think.

Cats like to hid under the brake pedal when they are scared, by the way.

You might try to let her roam, but if I were you, I'd get a cage/carrier just in case.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:33:15 PM EDT
[#43]
CATAPULT!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:34:27 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I GUESS the cat would be in trouble if I got in a collision, but it's a small risk I'm willing to take.  Plus, if the box isn't secured, it woudl be flying around the cabin as much as the cat anyway {snip}

When I read this, I pictured a litter box pull of shit and piss exploding inside your car as your rearend a garbage truck.

I had a friend rear end a truck years ago, and he had a 5 gallon bucket full of big treble hooks in the back.  When he awoke (with whiplash), he looked up to see hundreds of hooks hanging from the roof just above him.  He also said that there were some on the back of his seat, but thankfully none in his scalp.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:04:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Years ago, my office cat, Scooter, would go on flights with me. I use to keep him in a cat cage, but he'd make a fuss. So I left him out of his kitty cage on a flight one day, and he just curl up on the rear hat shelf in the cockpit and went to sleep. Clients got a kick out of him. Never tried the negative G's thing with him. In the truck, I'd put him in a cage and he'd sleep away the trip.

He was a great cat and a pal.

Friggen neighbor poisoned him.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:21:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Different cats will do different things in a car trip. My advice is to try the cat out first across town and see how she reacts. For most cars this means getting sick and puking or just laying down and feeling miserable. A car ride can really fuck with a cat's gyroscopes. Plan on several hours of really lowd crying and the possibility of puke at a minimum.

Dave
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:24:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Shoot the cat. Buy a new one on the other side.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top