[#1]
fpni
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:53:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Bad ass, wings need to retract and they need to make it transformer faster

Loved that series
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:55:00 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a robot with a pointy dong. I don't want to know why someone made that.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:55:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Awhile ago I read a really detailed article about how useless a battle mech would be. The author inadvertently suggested that it would be more useful for construction or rescuing people in a disaster than actual combat.

But the article ended with the words. "Ah screw it, it would still be awesome to have one."
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:57:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Guardian Mode is best Mode.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:57:48 PM EDT
[#6]
that was awesome.. I had that one as a kid.. i gave it to my buddy a few years back since he was a robotech geek.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 12:16:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Awhile ago I read a really detailed article about how useless a battle mech would be. The author inadvertently suggested that it would be more useful for construction or rescuing people in a disaster than actual combat.

But the article ended with the words. "Ah screw it, it would still be awesome to have one."
View Quote

Hey power armor is viable at least. Might even fix that whole genders in combat stuff we are having to deal with! Though maybe mechs are useful. Gotta build one to find out right?

I half expect to find out those to scale life size Gundam models they put up in Japan aren't models, and Japan is gonna bust out the real thing when they get tired of taking China and North Korea's shit! 8) Maybe not lol!

But giant stompy mechs blowing through the DMZ to go after fat boy is way to nerdy I admit. But dam it would be cool!

But power armor though. Legit stuff! Isn't that one of DARPA's almost ready for daylight projects? Saw the robo mule the Marines passed on, but I know they have a logistics end suit to lift stuff, and one that was suppose to get armored up.

Time to catch up on real world power armor goodness I guess.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 12:46:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Though if I may. Can I fly my Battletech/Mechwarrior flag knowing the Universe better than most people know actual history real world history?

The reason Timberwolf/Mad Cat, and Atlas, and so are viable that we have played with in MWO,and Table Top Battletech, and so on is because by the 24th going into the 25th century MW timeline, the race between armor, and armor penetration ended with armor winning the day, but not by to much.

Tanks of that era in this timeline could be armored up enough to take multiple hits without dying. Talking like a a platoon of M-1 MBT's having to target is great great grand kid, and firing two or three times to finally breach the armor on one tank.

So the idea was, you build giant stompy robot, but giant stompy robot has the same armor as the many great grand kid as the Abrams, but can move better, and carry as more, or a bit more weapons as the tank,and since they have to same armor harder to kill.  

Thus why your Timber, Atlas, or mech class of choice ends up existing. And why that poor Behemoth 100 ton tank just went up in two turns. 8(

Just a sci-fi military game/story line I know.But the in universe logic makes sense.

Mechs make sense in that situation. Now how they got back to fighting at WW2 ranges I guess is cause maps and mini's take up space. And any weapons that can punch through that armor is gonna weigh a fair bit.

But in a world where armor barely beat out armor penetration a more maneuverable harder to kill "giant robot" like the Mackie (grand daddy of all BT/MW mechs) makes more sense.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 12:58:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Bretai is all like "where were these slow mfs when I had to fight them?"

They seriously undersized their steppers and servos. That was painfully slow.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:02:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Lol! This must be the early RDF prototype? 8)
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:05:45 AM EDT
[#11]
needs more guardian mode and cyclones
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:08:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
needs more guardian mode and cyclones
View Quote

Another reminder of why I love this place. Amen on the Cyclones!

I have all the Robotech books. Invid Invasion era books before the last one book Endo f the Cycle that takes place moslty on the SDF-3. Cyclones rekt Invid shit hardcore!
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:09:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Hey power armor is viable at least. Might even fix that whole genders in combat stuff we are having to deal with! Though maybe mechs are useful. Gotta build one to find out right?

I half expect to find out those to scale life size Gundam models they put up in Japan aren't models, and Japan is gonna bust out the real thing when they get tired of taking China and North Korea's shit! 8) Maybe not lol!

But giant stompy mechs blowing through the DMZ to go after fat boy is way to nerdy I admit. But dam it would be cool!

But power armor though. Legit stuff! Isn't that one of DARPA's almost ready for daylight projects? Saw the robo mule the Marines passed on, but I know they have a logistics end suit to lift stuff, and one that was suppose to get armored up.

Time to catch up on real world power armor goodness I guess.
View Quote

The issue with power armor at the moment is power sources and coordination with the motion of the human body. We are making significant strides with both. Ironically enough once we have a truly viable exoskeleton for paraplegics we will have most of what we need for a suit of power armor.

I want to go a bit beyond simple electro motors and hydraulics for my power armor though.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:20:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:24:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The issue with power armor at the moment is power sources and coordination with the motion of the human body. We are making significant strides with both. Ironically enough once we have a truly viable exoskeleton for paraplegics we will have most of what we need for a suit of power armor.

I want to go a bit beyond simple electro motors and hydraulics for my power armor though.
View Quote

Does that count as swords to plowshares, or plowshares to swords?

Your 110% correct though.

What a time to be alive. The ultimate in helping the worse of the wounded ends up being the next weapons system.

But your right. If you can make some power Armor light exo skeleton that a paraplegic can use to get back to a more normal way of life.

Then at that point it's just a case of beefing the power source and exoskeleton frame, and servo's up enough to take some armor panels, and mounting a weapon or three.

I shit you not this is the logic chain that lead to Battletech/Mechwarrior SLDF Nighthawk Armor/Clan Elemental armor. And I am pretty sure very few, or any in DARPA, or DOD read those source books.

Facts stranger, or at least as strange as fiction indeed.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:25:48 AM EDT
[#16]
I would straight murder an orphanage for some functional cyclone armor.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:26:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You just need to set up a universe that has a reason for them to exist.

Macross explains it by fighting giants.

Gundam explains it with Minovsky particles and AMBAC.
View Quote

It's important to have an explanation alright. One of my favorite science fiction series Vandread has Mechs fighting space pirates in large fighter aircraft in the first battle of the show. When the mechs are lucky enough to get close to the fighters the Pirates say.

"Ugh, what are these things!?"

"Just ignore them, it's their battleship we are after."
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:33:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Does that count as swords to plowshares, or plowshares to swords?

Your 110% correct though.

What a time to be alive. The ultimate in helping the worse of the wounded ends up being the next weapons system.

But your right. If you can make some power Armor light exo skeleton that a paraplegic can use to get back to a more normal way of life.

Then at that point it's just a case of beefing the power source and exoskeleton frame, and servo's up enough to take some armor panels, and mounting a weapon or three.

I shit you not this is the logic chain that lead to Battletech/Mechwarrior SLDF Nighthawk Armor/Clan Elemental armor. And I am pretty sure very few, or any in DARPA, or DOD read those source books.

Facts stranger, or at least as strange as fiction indeed.
View Quote

In the story I wrote I like to think of it as plowshares to swords. Ultra-Fiber was originally developed for spacesuits. Then back to plowshares as the technology is adapted to other uses. Which tech like Ultra-Fiber would certainly be adapted to. The Martians in my story were desperate and in their desperation they went down previously unthinkable paths which led them to some strange places. The tank was a direct descendent of the caterpillar tractor. Advances in one field often solve problems that have bedeviled scientists and engineers in other fields for decades.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:33:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You just need to set up a universe that has a reason for them to exist.

Macross explains it by fighting giants.

Gundam explains it with Minovsky particles and AMBAC.
View Quote

Battletech/Mechwarrior Universe mechs exist cause armor won the race between armor vs armor penetration. Humanoid type vehicle within that time line with the same tank armor, with "new found" more compact fusion power source technology, and the ability to rock as many, or way more weapons for the same weight as a traditional tank is why mechs would work in that universe.

Real world follows that tech curve someone is getting a Madcat sooner or later.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:46:51 AM EDT
[#20]
I can just imagine a Zentradi impatiently checking his watch on the other side of the hall.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 3:18:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I can just imagine a Zentradi impatiently checking his watch on the other side of the hall.
View Quote

Depending on if they are blaring Minmei songs?

Fyi the books at the end you get why she can fuck em up just singing, but ugggh have to wonder if that was the grand plan, or just last minute make shit up. Works in book form though with End of the Circle.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 3:58:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Fyi the books at the end you get why she can fuck em up just singing, but ugggh have to wonder if that was the grand plan, or just last minute make shit up. Works in book form though with End of the Circle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Robotech story is a mash up and honestly, it is inferior. The original Macross story and dialogue is better. Still cheesy to an extent as one would expect from a 1980s anime, but better than Robotech. I suppose the books filled in the gaps between the 3 loosely strung together, but entirely unrelated shows. And the singing didn't murder your ear drums either.

The VF-1 as to be my favorite sci fi plane of all time though.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 6:16:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Oh yeah the original three anime are superior product by far. But Harmony Gold being the ultimate patent trolls, or large scale drug, or money laundering scheme, or both doesn't want anyone to watch the original three series.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:52:27 AM EDT
[#24]
We need to ditch the F35 and go with Mechs. 
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 8:14:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Too slow. It'd be easy to defeat.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 8:23:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Micronian Devils.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 8:26:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Wake me up when it's a remote controlled plane that can transform in midair and includes Gerwalk/Guardian mode.

Just kidding, that was awesome. Slow, but awesome.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 8:34:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Great, now the50ft aliens and battle pods can't be to far behind.
Better make that transformation faster and install the fast packs.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 8:41:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Very cool! I still love that show to this day.

And even 30 years later, I would still take Lisa/Misa over Minmay any day of the week. 
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 8:50:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Oh yeah the original three anime are superior product by far. But Harmony Gold being the ultimate patent trolls, or large scale drug, or money laundering scheme, or both doesn't want anyone to watch the original three series.
View Quote

All 3 of the original animes are on Amazon Prime.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 8:51:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Okay, that was pretty cool. Looks like the legs are transforming correctly, too (with the telescoping panels) rather than the simplified "chunky monkey" swing bar.

I don't hate Robotech. It and Star Blazers (Space Battleship Yamato, really) were my introduction to anime; I wouldn't be the VOTOMS/Gundam nut I am today without them. And all things considered, Macek didn't do that crappy a job of putting three unrelated shows together. Heck, he made Jeanne almost likable! Of course, they're better in their original forms, certainly, but we take what we can get (and back then, Robotech was what we could get). Whoremoney Mold can go die in an atomic blast, though.

The worst part about the Macross saga of Robotech had nothing to do with the dialogue - it's the replacement of Minmei's singing. In Macross, she's not a bad singer, and she has a pretty varied song set. Robotech changed that to "Here's my new song! Stage lights, flashing! The feeling's smashing..." over and over again. Badly. It changed the whole dynamic of Minmei's character (and American audiences' reception of her). Macross' Minmei is a diva and a pain at times, but she has talent. Robotech's Minmei just sucks.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 8:03:02 PM EDT
[#32]
This post made me have another dream about finding Valkyries on the shelf at Toys R Us lol
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
This post made me have another dream about finding Valkyries on the shelf at Toys R Us lol
View Quote

The jetfire version was the only i have ever seen on the shelf of a common toy store.

All the valk's i have bought hav been a comic book stores or online.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The jetfire version was the only i have ever seen on the shelf of a common toy store.

View Quote

Back in the 80's they did sell the Takatoku/Bandai toys at Toys R' Us; I had the 1/100 one. I seem to recall the 1/55 "Chunky Monkeys" were expensive even then.

My 1/60 and 1/48 Yamato Valks both came from HLJ.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 8:59:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Well, that was rather disappointing.

Do you even pneumatic bro?
What's more cool, real and works is exoskeleton tech. Walking mech robots, for combat will never happen IMO.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 9:05:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Back in the 80's they did sell the Takatoku/Bandai toys at Toys R' Us; I had the 1/100 one. I seem to recall the 1/55 "Chunky Monkeys" were expensive even then.

My 1/60 and 1/48 Yamato Valks both came from HLJ.
View Quote

I don't remember them at toys r us, nor service merchandise.  

At one point i had every robotech and macross transforming toy.   The stuff out now, and in the last few years is nice, but holy shit expensive!

$200-$250 is pushing it a bit to far.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 9:10:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I don't remember them at toys r us, nor service merchandise.  

At one point i had every robotech and macross transforming toy.   The stuff out now, and in the last few years is nice, but holy shit expensive!

$200-$250 is pushing it a bit to far.
View Quote

Could have been a regional thing, not sure. I had a friend that had the Takatoku Orguss Drifand toy, and I had a couple of the 1/72 Takara Dougram toys (the Roundfacer and Dougram), all of which came from TRUs in PA.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 9:16:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Okay, that was pretty cool. Looks like the legs are transforming correctly, too (with the telescoping panels) rather than the simplified "chunky monkey" swing bar.

I don't hate Robotech. It and Star Blazers (Space Battleship Yamato, really) were my introduction to anime; I wouldn't be the VOTOMS/Gundam nut I am today without them. And all things considered, Macek didn't do that crappy a job of putting three unrelated shows together. Heck, he made Jeanne almost likable! Of course, they're better in their original forms, certainly, but we take what we can get (and back then, Robotech was what we could get). Whoremoney Mold can go die in an atomic blast, though.

The worst part about the Macross saga of Robotech had nothing to do with the dialogue - it's the replacement of Minmei's singing. In Macross, she's not a bad singer, and she has a pretty varied song set. Robotech changed that to "Here's my new song! Stage lights, flashing! The feeling's smashing..." over and over again. Badly. It changed the whole dynamic of Minmei's character (and American audiences' reception of her). Macross' Minmei is a diva and a pain at times, but she has talent. Robotech's Minmei just sucks.
View Quote

The announcer, who doesn't STFU and has to state the obvious is probably the worst part. He has more lines than the rest of the characters involved. Music was just better overall in Macross. The main themes kind of go by the wayside when they changed the background story to. I think the original Macross could make a good adaptation to film. We'll see how Gost In The Shell turns out.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 9:28:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Still gives
Me chills

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F4Wl0p_TF0Q
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 9:40:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Still gives
Me chills

View Quote

Huh. Did they redo the entire series or just the intro?
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 9:42:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 9:46:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Very cool! I still love that show to this day.

And even 30 years later, I would still take Lisa/Misa over Minmay any day of the week. 
View Quote

Lisa Hayes FTW
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 9:50:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Could have been a regional thing, not sure. I had a friend that had the Takatoku Orguss Drifand toy, and I had a couple of the 1/72 Takara Dougram toys (the Roundfacer and Dougram), all of which came from TRUs in PA.
View Quote

Has to be, once again Florida gets fucked.

We get screwed on a lot of fast food joints.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 9:52:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
My kids watch them all the time on Netflix and the firestick. Or was there 3 series before Macross/SDD1?

I have my Daughter my skull leader VF1 and SDF model.

I built them decades ago.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 9:55:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have two, one factory and the other painted like skull leader. I need to go unpack them and post pics. One is still complete with the Armor, middle pack and gun
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 9:56:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Also, in the Macross version, you see her titties
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 9:57:59 PM EDT
[#48]
This thread needs more VF-1s.

I really need to take a picture of my Yamato VF-4G.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 11:16:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
My kids watch them all the time on Netflix and the firestick. Or was there 3 series before Macross/SDD1?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More or less there was SDF Macross, DYRL which is a movie version, then 2 which is unrelated. Plus which is a sub story and okay on its own. Zero is a pre-quel which ruins the Macross based lore by being inconsistent, which is decent. 7 is retarded, the one after Zero is retarded, and I think they're doing another retarded one. Anime has run off the cliff when it comes to weird. The other two series were never expanded upon.

I have a 1/72 model that I fucked up and never finished, VF-1S. Last I checked those are $60-70 now.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 11:28:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

the action figure sized one from the 80's and the exo squad re-release tend to bring decent money on ebay
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top