Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2001 8:34:16 AM EDT
I've been trying for the last week to find a dealer in SE Michigan that will handle a transfer sale from AIM surplus.

One dealer said he'd charge $25 if I was buying from a private seller, but from an out-of-state wholesaler (as opposed to dealer) it was $100. Something about "you can't just screw the dealer out of his cut." So unless I'm getting screwed by either this dealer or the other one, forget it. Well, I did.

Some dealers I found on the ShotgunNews site want 10-15% of the firearm's value. What the hell makes someone justify 15% of a firearm (that could easily cost $2000) for doing the same paperwork required for a $150 .22? Other dealers there advertise a price plus tax. Tax on an out-of-state purchase?

Other local dealers wanted $75 or more. $75 for some paper shuffling? When I've paid $15 in the past (to a dealer I was unable to contact).

I finally found one that agreed to do it for $35--which is fine. But so much effort raises the question--what's a fair price? I know dealers put up with a lot of red tape, but a transfer sale really only involves sending a copy of your FFL, receiving the firearm, and conducting the sale in compliance with the law. Are my expections reasonable? Are most of the dealers I contacted greedy?
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 8:51:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Greedy Pricks. $10-20 is reasonable.  I guess you might have to pay more for convenience, but I’d be looking real hard for a non-prick dealer.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 9:11:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Generally around here the rate is $25-$50 for a transfer. $100? [sex] That hurts! [:D] Milldude
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 9:12:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I got my M15 transfered for $15.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 10:09:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 10:32:36 AM EDT
[#5]
One dealer said he'd charge $25 if I was buying from a private seller, but from an out-of-state wholesaler (as opposed to dealer) it was $100. Something about "you can't just screw the dealer out of his cut."
View Quote

Same story where I live.  There are only three places to get guns in my town.  Walmart, Kmart, and an army surplus store.  The guy at the army surplus is usually a friendly enough person, but I will never buy a gun from him with his high prices:  $400 for a sar1[:O], $199 for a Moisen Nagant, etc.   I asked him what he charged for a transfer; it was like $25 and only private sales.  No wholesalers or distributors.  I was a little miffed to say the least.  I asked him what the problem was with sending a copy of his FFL to J&G, I send them a check, I get my firearm and he gets $25 for his time.  "no way", he says, "I have Sar1's here you can buy, but I gotta stay in buisness."  I don't think I will be going back anytime soon.

Is there anyway to find out who has an ffl, but does it out of their home?  i.e. a "dealer locater"?
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 11:01:05 AM EDT
[#6]
wakebrdr,

Got to gunfinder.net.  e-mail or call Cliff.  I just picked-up a rifle today.  He will take care of you and he is in Michigan.

Turok

He can help you too.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 12:39:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Ten years ago there were 250,000 or more FFL's.  It was easy to find a home based dealer who would place an order for $10-20.  If you walked into a gun shop and asked them to do it, they would most likely refuse or want a hefty transfer fee.  Now there are less than 100,000 FFL's.  Most of the small guys have given up due to the increased hassle and regulations.  This leaves the full time shops, who don't want to do it and never have.

I am one of the few home dealers left that I know of around here (NH).  My FFL expired last week and I am anxiously awaiting the letter allowing continued operation until my application is renewed.  Just for the record, I charge $15 if the gun is shipped via US mail or Fedex, $25 if it comes UPS, because then I have to drive 40 miles round trip to sign for it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 12:47:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I charge $20 for transfers at my shop.  I would like to make a point though....  Many times a guy will come into my shop where I pay the rent, spend the hours, deal with the ATF, and generally have to put up with a ton of BS everyday.  They plop down an ad in front of me from one of MY wholesalers like SOG, CDNN, ect and say they want to buy the gun directly, and expect me to do the transfer for next to nothing.  I say GET YOUR OWN FFL if you don't want me to make any money on it.  I do feel like I am being CUT out, as it is MY license we are using.  Furthermore, I have to keep the paperwork FOREVER on file, I have to be responsible for its whereabouts, I have to be accountable for it completion, I get randomly checked on this stuff by the Govt.  You have to ask yourself, is it really worth doing for $20?????  Rant off.

John
Seneca Arms Co, inc
View Quote

HERE!! HERE!! - That is the best response I have heard yet.  If you guys think it is just gravy go out and get your own FFL and start saving and making your millions!
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 12:49:41 PM EDT
[#10]
We also charge $20 for a transfer but by the time the customer pays the shipping and the transfer we usually can match the price anyway.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 1:10:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's what I pay: $10 plus call-in.

Here's what I won't pay: any thief that charges more than $25 or says 10% of the guns value.  Transfers are easy money for dealers.  Quite often the item you're buying is something that the dealer doesn't stock or is a particular type of firearm in a very specific condition sought by the purchaser.  Dealer's who are friendly, helpful and knowledgable are the places I shop.  If they're rude, snappy or give you crap like this: 'I have this pre-ban Marlin Camp 9 over here for $400... It takes S&W mags, I've got some 30rd. mags over here for $29.99 (USA junk of course).'  when what you had asked was if he had a HK94!!
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 1:10:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Hipwr, 1Gunrunner,

Don't you guys know it is your civic duty to kiss ass and do transfers for free to those who know about Shotgun News and Gunlist. Or thats how those individuals feel anyway.

Jake
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 1:37:23 PM EDT
[#13]
My local dealer charges me $25.00 for a transfer fee.  I buy most of my ammo, reloading supplies, cleaning supplies, and hunting clothes from them.  I also buy firearms from them (used usually), when the model I want is in stock.  When they do not stock the model I am looking for, they will transfer the one that I need for me.  I deliver to them an addressed stamped envelope that includes  the payment (money order) and a letter.  My dealer just slips in his signed FFL, seals the envelope and mails.  I think it helps to build up a relationship with a dealer.  To many people shop the discount stores (to save a few  bucks) and see the local gun shop only to do a transfer.  I think this is where they get the $100 or 15% transfer fees.  They feel that they are only worthy your business when you need to use their FFL.  

OSA
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 1:44:56 PM EDT
[#14]
$20-$40 is the going rate in N.E. Fla
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 2:36:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#16]
If you guys think it is just gravy go out and get your own FFL and start saving and making your millions!
View Quote

Dealers, I'll admit that those pricks in Washington have made your job harder. And I'll even admit that I've done transfer sales before that took so long, I wouldn't justify the amount of time with a price of $15. But 15% of value? Gimme a break!

What really got my panties in a wad was the guys who said, "flat fee except if dealing with a wholesaler". That's like saying no one should be allowed to shop for a better deal. Given X amount of time to shuffle some paper, a price of Y should be fair across the board. The bungwads who want to make sure I'm getting screwed by someone, be it them or another dealer, can kiss me where the sun don't shine.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 3:15:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Some shops have great locations and sell lots of guns. Others are out in the sticks and sell only one or two a week. Keep in mind while you are thinking they are cutting you out of a sale they are thinking this guy is trying to make a killing on this item I can get elsewhere for 20% less.

If you make enough transfers do you have to sell any guns?

My opinion is that you want customers walking in your door to drop money on the counter. The more the better. The more customers you treat right with only transfers the greater likelyhood they will establish a relationship with you and start purchasing firearms from you.  If you turn them away they and their friends will leave no money on your counter.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 5:38:00 PM EDT
[#18]
I was about to purchase a gun online and went looking for a dealer to do the transfer. One guy wanted $50.00 so I passed him by. The next dealer wanted $35.00 and I agreed to it. They sent their FFL to the place I was buying the rifle from and it came in a week later. I figure they had about 15 minutes invested between sending a copy of their FFL, signing the UPS drivers clipboard when they received the rifle and doing the background check paperwork. There wasn't anybody else in the shop when I was there so I figure it was easy money that they wouldn't have made if they hadn't performed this service from me, also I purchased some other items from them so they made a little more. When someone ask me about buying a rifle or handgun from the web or out of state I always say for them to use this dealer (Roberts Firearm Company, Aurora CO.303-367-1680)so he get even more buisness that he might not of had. I think this benefits both of us.
Just to give everybody a heads up, alot of pawnshops have FFLs and will do a transfer in the $20-$25 range also.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 6:03:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a personal, ongoing relationship with 3 dealers...cheapest is 15, most expensive is 25

Is it worth more? SURE, do I spend more? ALWAYS!

And dont forget, IF you dealer is absolutely nutz...MOST states allow you to purchase long guns in neighboring states......ALWAYS keep your options open.....

Link Posted: 4/7/2001 7:15:03 PM EDT
[#20]
In northern VA it is $30-50 average, with numerous shops charging $60-80+! It sucks.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 7:29:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Here in L.A., Ca. it depends on where you go. There dealers that will not even do it if they could get for you at their price and sales of course. Some will do it for $50 and sales tax even though it out of state sales. I found a dealer that does it $45 including dros but it is quite a drive from were I am but still save me money.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 7:30:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 7:35:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Check out this website-there is a section where dealers who are willing to do transfers are listed by telephone area code. Hope this helps - Finnbear
[url]http://www.gunsamerica.com/transfer.cgi
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 7:40:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
i have a long term with my dealer and he does anything for $10 for me.when i first started going to him i spent over $3,500 in the first month in his shop.now anytime i go in he gives me free stuff,a box or two of ammo a free high cap. mag. he makes me feal good when i deal with him. i love small gun shops and if you do a lot of bussness with them the prices start to drop fast.
View Quote

Shame you're in Wisconsin, i'd love to meet a dealer like that. I spend money at the two small shops near me, and their attitude is STILL "Go away, don't touch the $400.00 SAR1's, don't ask me questions or I'll sigh like Al Gore, don't bug me, are you old enough to be in here(I've got a bit of a babyface), don't ask me to do a transfer, or I'll act like it's a big hairy deal, and disparage your choice of guns"...blah blah blah...It just gets old, fast!

I want to meet a dealer like yours! I spend too much money on guns to deal with people who apparently hate me!
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 7:41:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Don't forget about pawnshops, as many have FFLs.  They are also a good source of used firearms.  CDNN is a pawnshop, as are many of the advertisers in Shotgun News and Gun List.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 10:03:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 10:05:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top