Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/14/2005 2:08:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/14/2005 2:43:04 PM EDT by Old_Painless]
I had a few young men from my church ask me if I'd give them a little training in Pistolcraft.

I have had lots of years of experience an a Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun Instructor and three trips to Thunder Ranch. They said that they would like to learn some things that were taught at Thunder Ranch, but they did not have the time or money to go for a whole week at this time.

They are fairly new to the game and wanted to learn, so, of course, I said that I'd be glad to help them.

Here we are at the range on the line. I am teaching them the 4 step method to draw and fire their weapon.

I taught them to perform either a type A, B, or C response to command. Here we are firing.

I stressed that "You can't miss fast enough to win a firefight". They did a fine job and shot tight groups on their targets.

As usual, we spent a lot of time loading magazines and, in this Texas heat, drinking plenty of water.

In this drill, I had them lay their pistols down and turn their backs. I set their weapons up with a failure; either a stovepipe, an empty chamber, or a lose magazine, etc.

On my command, they had to turn around, run up to their pistol, and try to fire it.

When it failed, they had to do a Tap, Rack, and Bang to defeat the bad guy.

They were quick studies and learned and performed the drills well.

We all had a good time and I hope I have encouraged three new members of our sport.

Never miss a chance to encourage new shooters. They are the life of our sport.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:17:04 PM EDT
Good way to spend a Sunday afternoon.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:21:42 PM EDT
Very practical. Nice!

Balming
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:27:33 PM EDT
Great drills! How much previous handgunning experience have they had prior to performing these drills?

HH
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:35:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By HoustonHusker:
Great drills! How much previous handgunning experience have they had prior to performing these drills?

HH

One has done quite a bit of shooting, but no actual training. The other two are recreational hunters, but not "gunney".

I kept it pretty basic, stressing safety and doing the drills over and over to learn them well.

If you've ever done any instruction, you know that "new guys" that are willing to listen and follow instructions, usually do well.

Guys that think that they already know it all, usually do not.

These guys were eager to learn and did well.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:38:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Old_Painless:

HH

One has done quite a bit of shooting, but no actual training. The other two are recreational hunters, but not "gunney".

I kept it pretty basic, stressing safety and doing the drills over and over to learn them well.

If you've ever done any instruction, you know that "new guys" that are willing to listen and follow instructions, usually do well.

Guys that think that they already know it all, usually do not.

These guys were eager to learn and did well.

Sounds like the perfect role for you. You're the E.F. Hutton of the range, and when you speak they just listen! I'm sure they not only enjoyed it, but I'll bet they teach these drills to someone else down the road.

HH
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:41:40 PM EDT
Good job OP.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:44:14 PM EDT
Thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:46:38 PM EDT
OP,

I was wondering what happened to the box o truth? Seems like the site has gone down?

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:48:13 PM EDT
OP - "alright now, you three turn around while I build an adobe hut"
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:50:29 PM EDT
Glad to hear that they were enthusiastic about learning new skills. Glad you were there to assist them.

Hopefully they enjoyed their time and will continue to improve.

Good work!
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:52:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Dawg180:
OP,

I was wondering what happened to the box o truth? Seems like the site has gone down?

Yep, it's been down.

Update here: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=378853
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:58:06 PM EDT
what part of texas is that. it looks nice and green.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:59:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ROKIT88:

I know that not many people enjoy doing "failure drills", but they are an essential part of pistolcraft.

I related a story to the guys about a friend that is the department instructor for a police department. He was doing yearly qualification drills for the department and a Captain, that is not very gunney, had a stove pipe.

He turned to the instructor and said, "Something's wrong with my pistol. What do I do?"

My friend hollered at the top of his lungs, "Fix it and get back in the fight!!!!"

You perform the way you practice. If you want to perform correctly if you ever have a malfunction, you have to practice failure drills.

It should be a part of every practice session.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:00:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By occaar:
what part of texas is that. it looks nice and green.

Southeast Texas. Beaumont range.

And not only is it "nice and green", it is also nice and hot.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:11:23 PM EDT
Nice job OP. I'm sure they are very grateful.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:15:09 PM EDT

Sounds like the perfect role for you. You're the E.F. Hutton of the range, and when you speak they just listen!

That's a hoot. Made me LOL.

I'm sure they not only enjoyed it, but I'll bet they teach these drills to someone else down the road.

HH

That is my hope.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:54:54 PM EDT
A bump for the night crew.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:12:33 PM EDT

I had a few young men from my church ask me if I'd give them a little training in Pistolcraft.

I have had lots of years of experience an a Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun Instructor and three trips to Thunder Ranch. They said that they would like to learn some things that were taught at Thunder Ranch, but they did not have the time or money to go for a whole week at this time.

They are fairly new to the game and wanted to learn, so, of course, I said that I'd be glad to help them.

Here we are at the range on the line. I am teaching them the 4 step method to draw and fire their weapon.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=40764

I taught them to perform either a type A, B, or C response to command. Here we are firing.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=40765

I stressed that "You can't miss fast enough to win a firefight". They did a fine job and shot tight groups on their targets.

As usual, we spent a lot of time loading magazines and, in this Texas heat, drinking plenty of water.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=40766

In this drill, I had them lay their pistols down and turn their backs. I set their weapons up with a failure; either a stovepipe, an empty chamber, or a lose magazine, etc.

On my command, they had to turn around, run up to their pistol, and try to fire it.

When it failed, they had to do a Tap, Rack, and Bang to defeat the bad guy.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=40767

They were quick studies and learned and performed the drills well.

We all had a good time and I hope I have encouraged three new members of our sport.

Never miss a chance to encourage new shooters. They are the life of our sport.

OldPainless
I've caught your topics before and loved em all.
I so want to come to America and shoot some interesting/exotic guns

Great pics and I bet your instructions helped them no end

Cheers

Taffy
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:27:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Taffy223:
OldPainless
I've caught your topics before and loved em all.
I so want to come to America and shoot some interesting/exotic guns

Great pics and I bet your instructions helped them no end

Cheers

Taffy

Shucks, Taffy223.

Come on over!

And come to Texas. It's the best part of America, after all.

We can go shooting.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:29:25 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:31:24 PM EDT
COOL!!!!!!

Nice job OP

Travis
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:34:16 PM EDT
You go, OP!
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:52:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
You go, OP!

Thanks!

I went.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:11:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ROKIT88:

I know that not many people enjoy doing "failure drills", but they are an essential part of pistolcraft.

I related a story to the guys about a friend that is the department instructor for a police department. He was doing yearly qualification drills for the department and a Captain, that is not very gunney, had a stove pipe.

He turned to the instructor and said, "Something's wrong with my pistol. What do I do?"

My friend hollered at the top of his lungs, "Fix it and get back in the fight!!!!"

You perform the way you practice. If you want to perform correctly if you ever have a malfunction, you have to practice failure drills.

It should be a part of every practice session.

Failure drills are great practice. We use to load empty shell casings in the other persons mags. Sometimes they would jam, or chamber and not go bang, or stovepipe.

Great training.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:15:15 PM EDT
Looks like a great day! I know I would have loved to have been there!
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:19:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:

Failure drills are great practice. We use to load empty shell casings in the other persons mags. Sometimes they would jam, or chamber and not go bang, or stovepipe.

Great training.

Doing that will also tell you if your pistol is truly properly "tuned".

If it is, it will feed the empty.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:20:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GA-Dawg:
Looks like a great day! I know I would have loved to have been there!

Wish you had been there too.

We had a great time.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:28:56 PM EDT
Awesome.......
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:31:30 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:34:51 PM EDT
I really enjoy your posts, OP.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:15:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By weptek911:
(Link for shooting glasses.)

Good point, wepek911.

I told them to bring eye protection, but, being young guys, they "forgot".

I was proud that they remembered their pistols and ammo.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:18:07 AM EDT
wtg Painless.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:38:50 AM EDT
OP,

When are ya gonna invite some some of Texas ARFCOMer's over for a day of shootin???

I'm in Houston so that would be a nice day trip. I'l, um, bring a chickie-snack friend of mine for, ah, good scenery.

CMOS
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:49:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CMOS:
OP,

When are ya gonna invite some some of Texas ARFCOMer's over for a day of shootin???

I'm in Houston so that would be a nice day trip. I'l, um, bring a chickie-snack friend of mine for, ah, good scenery.

CMOS

FINALLY, an interesting offer!

If you guys ever want to set up a few hours of training/shooting, just let me know.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:58:43 AM EDT
tag
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:02:23 AM EDT
Damn! What I would give to shoot on a nice grassy range like that. I'm so tired of rocks and ants and sand and snakes!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:06:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2005 8:08:53 AM EDT by Dolomite]
I see you're the only one in a fighting stance. It seems the problem with most men is that they think they are born knowing how to hold a handgun (I know I was guilty of it). The kid in the white t-shirt needs to get his shoulders in front of his knees - all he's doing in the picture is amplifying the recoil. But that's why he's closest to you on the line I suppose (so you can keep an eye on 'em).

And the shirts - sweep and tuck boys! it's the same thing with boxers - it took a few shots to the balls before I learned to keep my shirt tucked into my shorts.

Good for you sharing the secrets of the ninja! When I take people out I usually won't let them even wear a holster until the second trip out - even then - I don't allow them to reholster without supervision.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:15:02 AM EDT
Nice of you to help them out, they need EYE protection.

Perry
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:22:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Dolomite:
I see you're the only one in a fighting stance. It seems the problem with most men is that they think they are born knowing how to hold a handgun (I know I was guilty of it). The kid in the white t-shirt needs to get his shoulders in front of his knees - all he's doing in the picture is amplifying the recoil. But that's why he's closest to you on the line I suppose (so you can keep an eye on 'em).

You bring up an interesting point.

When instructing "new" shooters, you have to balance "correction" with "fun".

Unlike the Marine Corps, I can't just holler at everything they do, or they will get discouraged and quit.

Instead, I try to correct a few "big things" and let a few "little things" slide. The only thing I won't let "slide" is Safety. I am very strict about muzzle sweep issues, etc.

If we go back, I will stress a better shooting stance, etc.

"Baby steps..."
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:28:41 AM EDT
Nice job, as always, O_P!

You're one of the many reasons I like AR15.com so much.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:30:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By npd233:

What about me, Baby?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:09:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By npd233:
Nice job, as always, O_P!

Thanks for the kind words.

I enjoy the sport and the fine folks I've met on this site.
Top Top