Posted: 2/12/2006 3:20:31 PM EDT
Poll Incoming!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:21:23 PM EDT
[#1]
my first ibtp

ETA dangit
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:21:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Lived in one when we were dirt poor.  Didnt know it then.  I always wondered why grandmas house had wheels.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:22:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
my first ibtp

ETA dangit

Keep trying!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:22:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Poll Incoming!

They always forget the poll!  

Freaking SLOW connection!!!!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:23:12 PM EDT
[#5]

My wife grew up in trailers much of her childhood.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:24:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I have never visited nor lived in a trailer park, but it is nothing to be ashamed of.  There is a lot more honor in making an honest living and being poor than there is in being a rich criminal.  

That said, there are certainly a sizable percentage of trailer park dwellers that would meet the criteria for being classified as “trash.”
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:25:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I've never lived in one, but some of the newer ones are pretty nice.

Of course, they're tornado targets.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:29:15 PM EDT
[#8]
My job frequently involves repairing mobile homes.  That said, I'd rather live in a tent than one of those fucking abortions.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:30:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Call me a snob, but I'd never live in one, nor would I have friends that own one.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:32:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Call me a snob, but I'd never live in one, nor would I have friends that own one.

Why wouldn't you have friends that own one, you snob?

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:32:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I used to deliver pizzas to trailer parks all the time.  I swear they kept Domino's in business.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:40:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Up until I was 3 years old...

My dad had moved down here as a 20yr old, from Jersey, with nothing.  It's what he could afford making $16k/year I suppose.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:41:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I lived in a trailer for a couple years after school.  It was immaculate, on it's own lot with a garage.  I got to shoot my .45 in the back yard.  Wish I had that capability now!

I wasn't in a trailer park.  I've seen good trailer parks with nice people and I've seen the stereotypical trailer parks that looks like a collection of carnies waiting for the sheriff's warrant squad to find them.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:42:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
My job frequently involves repairing mobile homes.  That said, I'd rather live in a tent than one of those fucking abortions.

Don't you mean aborations?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:45:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Know people who live in them, never have lived in one
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:46:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:46:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Got married in 1980 . The wife and I bought a mobile home and moved into a really nice park .
They had more rules and regs than you could imagine . You mowed your grass at least once a
week or they did it for you , and charged you . There was a playground and pool too .
  $75 bucks a month .  A lot of money in 1980 .
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:47:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't you mean aborations?abhorations

fixed it for ya
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:49:00 PM EDT
[#19]
My aunt and uncle own one is a resort area. It's seasonal. It's only open from May-Sept. Most of the people are older and live in Fla, or out west in the Winter. The old type trailers are being replaced with the pre fab homes. The property next tot their's (about 1/3 the size) just had an offer from a hotel chain for over two million bucks. Think I'll have to find a new place to hang out in the Summer!!!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:49:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:50:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I've never lived in one, but several of my childhood friends grew up living in them. I visited them almost every day. Both have great families who were just doing the best they could. Parents had jobs and went to work each day. Both of them went on to graduate from college. One went Ivy League and graduated with honors, he is now finishing law school.

It's all about the person inside, not the house you live in (As long as it's kept clean).
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:54:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Once I was taking one of my Korean customers out to see his production fields. On the way we went by a trailer house factory and just making conversation I asked him if those were popular in Korea.

He looks at me with a look of total astonishment and says, while shaking his head side-to-side,
"Container house?! Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!"

NMSight
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:57:06 PM EDT
[#23]
I lived in a trailer in Dreamland Trailer Park in Niceville Fla.
The owner must have had a sick sense of humor.
I can't smell Pinesol without having flashbacks.
I loved having to either roll over my tiny bed or have to go out in the hall through the other door to get from one side of my cell to the other.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:57:47 PM EDT
[#24]
a friend of mine was kicked out by his now exwife and had to find somewhere to live, well he lived in a trailer park. The first time I saw it I was helping him move, I asked him how it was and if I should be armed, of course he called me paranoid and said poor people lived in there not animals, well as we drove in the place he was pointing out the people he had met, and when we passed the trailer next to his I mentioned how trashy it was to leave a bbq pit on its side and trash everywhere, well he gets huffy and tells me his buddy isn't trashy and that the crap was all over the yard because the night before the drunken
maintenance man came after his buddy with a machete and his buddy was bbqing and picked up this hot pit to deflect the blows from the blade, he then tosses the coals as the guys head and beats the crap out of him. Well I gave my friend 5min to get his shit out of the back of my truck and I got the hell out of there.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:59:01 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't you mean aborations?abhorations

fixed it for ya

Umm, I think it's: aberration?

ab·er·ra·tion    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (b-rshn)
n.
A deviation from the proper or expected course. See Synonyms at deviation.
A departure from the normal or typical: events that were aberrations from the norm.
Psychology. A disorder or abnormal alteration in one's mental state.

A defect of focus, such as blurring in an image.
An imperfect image caused by a physical defect in an optical element, as in a lens.
The apparent displacement of the position of a celestial body in the direction of motion of an observer on Earth, caused by the motion of Earth and the finite velocity of light.
Genetics. A deviation in the normal structure or number of chromosomes in an organism.

Then again, maybe he did mean: abortion

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:00:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't you mean aborations?

That's aberration (I think)  

I lived in one for several years as a kid.  I liked it.  Lots of other kids to run around with, and our lot was against a backdrop of fine MN jackpine forest with tons of stuff to shoot in it!

That trailer park has since turned into a slum though... too bad.  The older trailers that were there are going completely to shit and no one wants to put a nice modern trailer in there beside those old eyesores...

But, while our old trailers were kinda junky I would not mind living in one again if it was in a decent location, and not a sardine can lookalike parking lot like so many of the slummy trailer parks are...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:00:28 PM EDT
[#27]
I've lived in 2 trailers but never a trailer park.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:01:41 PM EDT
[#28]
I have never lived in a mobile home. Only visited one once.
I wouldn't mind a mobile or pre-fab for a weekend home (on MY own property in the woods) while I built my dream home....
However I don't think I could do the "trailer Park" thing...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:04:22 PM EDT
[#29]
If its whatcha gotta do, its whatcha gotta do.  I would consider some trailers better than some of the apartments my friends live in.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:05:07 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I never lived in one, but several of my childhood friends grew up living in them. I visited them almost every day. Both have great families who were just doing the best they could. Parents had jobs and went to work each day. Both of them went on to graduate from college. One went Ivy League and graduated with honors, he is now finishing law school.

It's all about the person inside, not the house you live in (As long as it's kept clean).

Exactly. My wife grew up in the Scottish equivalent of a run-down trailer park (council housing) but unlike virtually all her contemporaries, she graduated top of her class in school, got all-paid scholarships to med school. Most of her friends from her childhood ended up knocked up or on heroin.

OTOH, we live near some real shitheels here in liberal suburbia. Spoiled, rich, mouthy, disrespectful kids abound. I have learned to mind my own business here and not to talk to anyone. We don't have many friends in this neighborhood.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:05:12 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I have never lived in a mobile home. Only visited one once.
I wouldn't mind a mobile or pre-fab for a weekend home (on MY own property in the woods) while I built my dream home....
However I don't think I could do the "trailer Park" thing...

+1  My younger sister is doing just that, but the trailer she has is actually as nice as a lot of permanent homes.  Real stud walls, peaked and shingled roof, real windows, etc...

I'm still hoping she will sell it to me cheap when they get their permanent house built!  

ETA:  I am currently living in a townhouse complex full of "trailertrash".  Go figure...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:10:00 PM EDT
[#32]
I lived in a couple of mobile homes as a young child. Most of the folks in the park were military famalies like mine. Lived in houses the rest of the time till I got married the first time. The now X and I bought a mobile home on 5 acres of land. Lived there for a bout 4 years. Built a 3,500 sqft home right behind the trailer.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:15:40 PM EDT
[#33]
I lived in one for 6 months with my parents.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:21:25 PM EDT
[#34]
My Grandmother owned a trailor park.  What a headache that was. Not at all worth what little was made from it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:23:38 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where I live, there are only three towns with trailer parks.  All 3 are full of welfare cases and crime.  I'm sure there are a couple good people in there, but I'm guessing they wouldn't be running in my circles.  I'm sure trailer parks are different elsewhere in the country, but my comments center around my area - as I'm sure do others.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:25:58 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm living in a mobile home park right now.

I'm paying off a 5 year loan on a double wide modular.
A 32' X 80 ' .

My family needed a place to live quickly when I transfered with my job ,
and we didn't have a lot of options.
I really didn't want to be stuck in one spot .

Ever try renting an apartment with a family AND pets ?

Another year and it's payed off ,and I can afford to spend more money on property.

When I find the property I want ,this place is getting put on a
basement .

I have plenty of space ,big living room ,oak kitchen cabinets ,working wood fireplace,
walk in closets ,2 baths ,2 bedrooms ,laundry room.

Mobile homes aren't exactly what they used to be.
Mines as good as any of the local houses I've seen.

Anybody got a freaking problem with that ?  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:33:38 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I'm living in a mobile home park right now.

I'm paying off a 5 year loan on a double wide modular.
A 32' X 80 ' .

My family needed a place to live quickly when I transfered with my job ,
and we didn't have a lot of options.
I really didn't want to be stuck in one spot .

Ever try renting an apartment with a family AND pets ?

Another year and it's payed off ,and I can afford to spend more money on property.

When I find the property I want ,this place is getting put on a
basement .

I have plenty of space ,big living room ,oak kitchen cabinets ,working wood fireplace,
walk in closets ,2 baths ,2 bedrooms ,laundry room.

Mobile homes aren't exactly what they used to be.
Mines as good as any of the local hoses I've seen.

Anybody got a freaking problem with that ?  

I have contemplated living in a trailer, but not in the East.  

See, I was raised in Alabama and there was a definite stigma attached to the railer park.  For a reason.  Very few people who lived there were anything BUT trailer trash.

When I went out west it was a completely different story.  Trailers were built like HOMES instead of like a temporary and mobile place to drop all your crap.  Parks were PARKS, with roads and street signs instead of dirt paths that happen to lead to a bunch of wrecks on blocks.  In fact, some of the places I saw in AZ cost more than some of the houses I looked at buying.

Some of it is a cultural thing.  In the South I would not move into a trailer unless there were NO other options, period.  Out West, I would consider it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:40:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:44:22 PM EDT
[#39]
How is living in an apartment any better than a trailer?

I never understood the put down.

In a trailer, at least you are on the ground like a house and can have some storage.

People need to live somewhere.

I am blessed with a farm and property but I will never look down my nose
at where some people find themselves living for whatever reasons.

GM
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:53:24 PM EDT
[#40]
My family lived in a tar paper shack on a gravel road when I was six and seven years old. That was probably about the same experience as living in a mobile home park.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:53:28 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm in one of our many trailer parks almost every day. Some are better than others.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:55:22 PM EDT
[#42]
my family lived in a trailer when I was a kid. 10 years or so.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:59:14 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where I live, there are only three towns with trailer parks.  All 3 are full of welfare cases and crime.  I'm sure there are a couple good people in there, but I'm guessing they wouldn't be running in my circles.  I'm sure trailer parks are different elsewhere in the country, but my comments center around my area - as I'm sure do others.

Not to pick on you, but I have a buddy who owns a trailer, he doesn't drink, doesn't fool around on his wife, works like a dog and is always there to help if you call him, I'll take him over our former mayor who kept an apartment for a woman who he and his wife would have three ways with when they got a coke induced toot on. His trial for attempting to trade some cocaine for sex with some high school girls should be starting later this month

I must have missed this. Was it the mayor of Oswego?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:06:03 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
How is living in an apartment any better than a trailer?

Depends on the situation. Mobile Home retirement  communities in Florida are not exactly your average trailer park, for example. Some apartment complexes are good, some are bad. I would never live in a trailer due to the relative lack of space and security.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:12:29 PM EDT
[#45]
I lived in one after my freshman year at college for about 3 months.  I had no problems with the people
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:18:17 PM EDT
[#46]
I've lived in them. In military towns sometimes trailor parks are all there are. I've seen some trashy parks and some nice ones, it depends on the people that live in the area. I think the qualilty of people these days, esp poor ones, is a lot lower than in the past.

Living in an apartment is worse than a trailor to me, I can't stand hearing my neighbors through walls.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:21:12 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sure trailer parks ARE full of welfare cases and crime, but there are also like to be plenty of hard-working people who are just trying to make ends meet living in those trailers.  Seems a shame to just judge them all to be trash just because their neighbors suck.  

I mean, just because I am an asshole doesn't mean you should assume my neighbors are - they are actually really nice people

Along with Aimless' example and 95thFoot's, I could also point out that while my wife grew up in trailerparks, she has been much more successful than most people in life.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:25:00 PM EDT
[#48]
I managed two mobile home parks back in the eighties. I also managed an apartment complex. Like anywhere else, they had thier good people and bad people.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:25:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Trailer parks are a great place to meet girls.  Once they find out I've almost saved up enough for a double-wide they realize just what a great catch I am!!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:26:41 PM EDT
[#50]
I live in a trailer park and I like it.

Quoted:

You are teh pooh.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top