Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2007 7:09:48 PM EDT
I've got a 1998 Taurus SHO and I was wondering if I'd damage the transmission if I hauled a trailer with it.

What kind of weight limit am I looking at?  Would I be better off renting a moving van and towing the car?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:36:57 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I've got a 1998 Taurus SHO and I was wondering if I'd damage the transmission if I hauled a trailer with it.

What kind of weight limit am I looking at?  Would I be better off renting a moving van and towing the car?

Yeah, youd be better off just getting a van and towing the car, the AX4N(i think thats the designation) can tow like 1500-2000 lbs, but you cant exceed 45 MPH without damage to the transaxle.

If you did go ahead and tow with it, dont put it the selector in "OD" just "D" since ive found on out on a personal note, that OverDrive is a fairly weak gear compared to 3rd gear.

ETA: 3rd (or "D") will garuntee you one thing, shitty mileage, but your looking at the same thing for the van and towing the car anyways
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:29:38 AM EDT
[#2]
If I recall, Ford said no towing.

Most trailer hitch listings have an exclusion for the SHO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top