Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/15/2008 3:53:21 AM EST
What the hell makes the Jeep Patriot or Compass trail rated? I wouldn't take them over a speed bump without fear of breakage. Anybody else feel the same way?
Link Posted: 5/15/2008 4:14:40 AM EST
I just traded the '06 Commander for an '08 Compass. The wife drives it. It's "Trail Rated" if the trail is paved. I only traded due to fuel mileage. I thought the Commander was kind of fugly but she liked it. Now she likes the Compass. I won't even get into the Compass. I just pay for it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2008 4:22:49 AM EST
I feel you on not wanting to ride in it. My wife has a Toyota Echo. I have actually had to drive it and wanted to cry. I like my SUV a lot better.
Link Posted: 5/15/2008 4:31:57 AM EST
Here are the Jeep Testing grounds!

Known here locally as the Silver Comet Trail
Link Posted: 5/15/2008 4:49:08 AM EST
my wife drives a patriot. it's a nice ride that does exactally what she needs it to. i actually enjoy driving it. 4wd is nice for the snowy unplowed roads around here (haven't had it through a winter yet), but i would definatly NOT take it off road.

ETA- she has the cheaper non-trail rated version.
Link Posted: 5/15/2008 2:02:46 PM EST
it's a jeep thing, you would'nt under stand it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2008 2:17:47 PM EST
I understand my mother in law getting screwed for trade in value on her jeep.
Link Posted: 5/15/2008 2:19:42 PM EST

Originally Posted By Rocksarge:
I understand my mother in law getting screwed for trade in value on her jeep.

Like that would not happen with any other make?
Link Posted: 5/15/2008 2:42:08 PM EST
I was only commenting on not understanding anything about jeeps.
Link Posted: 5/15/2008 2:44:41 PM EST

I was only commenting on not understanding anything about jeeps.

Gotcha.
Link Posted: 5/15/2008 2:44:54 PM EST
So how many of you here have actually driven any of them?
Link Posted: 5/15/2008 2:45:47 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/15/2008 2:46:00 PM EST by Stryfe]
Link Posted: 5/15/2008 3:04:54 PM EST

Originally Posted By Marksman14:
So how many of you here have actually driven any of them?

I've driven two liberties, a cherokee, a cherokee laredo, and a patriot. I was not impressed. I wont even comment on how shitty the backseat room is. Our department had some for K9, recruiting, and detectives. I drove my uncles' (two uncles had them). The others were rentals.
Link Posted: 5/15/2008 5:28:44 PM EST
I had to upgrade my Jeep with GM and Ford parts to make it "Trail Rated"

Oh, and parts off of XJ/TJ/YJ and some home brew as well...

Link Posted: 5/15/2008 5:45:54 PM EST
We've got two JKs in the garage. I can't complain.
Link Posted: 5/15/2008 8:25:57 PM EST
Looks good enough for daily use

For a small suv that gets decent mpg, what's wrong with it?
Link Posted: 5/15/2008 8:30:41 PM EST
No locking diffs but it's got the weird thing where the traction control will make the brake stop a spinning wheel.

I'm sure my Tacoma or Samurai could blow one away on a serious trail but not bad for a grocery getter.

Link Posted: 5/16/2008 3:02:04 AM EST
My 07 Liberty Off-Road has a center locking diff. Thats "Trail Rated" to me...

Yeah, the only dude I see driving Liberties is me, in the rear-view....but ever since my modded Bronco II, I have learned the values of smaller SUV's, especially on the trail. My Bronco II was like a go-kart with 4WD and a stereo. Needless to say, it was stupid-fun on a cow path....I actually selected my first Jeep, an 05 Rendegade over just about anything else. I bought it because it reminded me of my Bronco II in all the good/bad ways. The Liberty has a ton of potential and by itself is quite a capable SUV, especially for the money. Still, with all the broads driving them I sometimes feel like I am driving a yellow "new bettle" with the obligiotry flower sticker, various dents/scratches from parking misadventures and shit hanging from the rear view mirror.

I really love my Liberty, and dispite being a "girls car" it has a ton of potential. Off road, its not a Rubicon, but its better than a stock Wrangler.
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 8:34:00 AM EST
My girls Liberty is lifted (2.5") with 30-31"(ish) Toyos. The little thing will surprise you offroad. Extremely light and nimble.
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 8:48:05 AM EST

Originally Posted By ZR2:
My girls Liberty is lifted (2.5") with 30-31"(ish) Toyos. The little thing will surprise you offroad. Extremely light and nimble.

Yeah, well that's all well and good but it sure didn't come like that from the factory did it? It is not a stock model so it is not relevant to my point.
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 12:47:34 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/16/2008 12:56:01 PM EST by 1911lover]
I have an '06 Commander, an '08 Liberty and 2 days ago I bought a new Sahara Unlimited.

While it is true that I don't go off road as I did in the 70s, I am very happy with all 3 Jeeps as well as my dealer! Maybe its an age thing but I couldn't be happier.

I should have added that the "Trail Rated" badges were fluff or gimmicks to me, and I think the first thing that came to mind when I noticed one of them on a lot was "ya...right".

The guys on jeepforum.com speak very highly of the off road capabilities of the Wrangler line, especially the Rubicon. However, a lot of those folks are adding "mods' constantly. Probably a status thing, but many claim to be serious off-road enthusiasts, and insist Jeeps are the only vehicles they consider for that sport.
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 3:40:03 PM EST

Yeah, well that's all well and good but it sure didn't come like that from the factory did it? It is not a stock model so it is not relevant to my point.

That doesn't change much anyway. A read locking diff will probably do more for a rigs off-road capability than a lift, bigger tires or any other mod.

Link Posted: 5/16/2008 4:15:59 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/16/2008 4:16:27 PM EST by ToyCop]
The daily drivers.

Link Posted: 5/17/2008 4:37:20 AM EST

Originally Posted By IAMLEGEND:

That doesn't change much anyway. A read locking diff will probably do more for a rigs off-road capability than a lift, bigger tires or any other mod.

Yep. I've taken my Bronco places on stock suspension and 31" ATs that people with 36" mud/rock tires couldn't get at.

The difference? Lower gearing, a rear spool, and a front locker.
Link Posted: 5/17/2008 7:48:43 AM EST
Well honestly I've seen TheRedGoat (brian) drive a Bonneville (sp?) more than once to the Hun Farm, one of those times it had stormed like crazy the night before and LOTS of vehicles had gotten stuck.

So I can see how jeep would call a bunch of their stuff "trail rated" they just had some creative testers
Link Posted: 5/17/2008 8:14:40 AM EST

Uh,yeah,nimble it is,but it's definitly not light,the Liberty is pretty much a porker. BUT,that porkiness is because the Liberty has pretty much the strongest body out there. The underneath structure is massive!
Link Posted: 5/17/2008 8:22:36 AM EST
why dont you goto jeep.com and check out what the trail rated tests are.
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 8:20:46 AM EST

I really love my Liberty, and dispite being a "girls car" it has a ton of potential. Off road, its not a Rubicon, but its better than a stock Wrangler

a stock liberty is better off road than a stock wrangler? are you high? that's the biggest pile of garbage i've read all week.
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 9:06:23 AM EST

Originally Posted By IanK:

I really love my Liberty, and dispite being a "girls car" it has a ton of potential. Off road, its not a Rubicon, but its better than a stock Wrangler

a stock liberty is better off road than a stock wrangler? are you high? that's the biggest pile of garbage i've read all week.

They do now make a 2 wheel drive Wrangler Unlimited. I don't know why, but they do.
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 2:14:02 PM EST
http://www.jeep.com/en/4x4/trail_rated/index.html
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 1:35:59 PM EST
I think the Compass is now the ugliest thing on the road. I like the looks of the Patriot and cant beat 30mpg.
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 2:00:24 PM EST

Originally Posted By drobs:
I think the Compass is now the ugliest thing on the road. I like the looks of the Patriot and cant beat 30mpg.

best i've gotten with mine is 26. it's an automatic.
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 4:00:13 PM EST
More like...

Link Posted: 5/20/2008 4:34:19 PM EST

Originally Posted By mattimeo:
More like...

i13.photobucket.com/albums/a273/fisherclint32/mall-rated.jpg

OMG, that's awesome!!!

I'm going to print that on a label and put it on my Samurai. It's on 35's with full cage, stinger bar and winch, front and rear lockers, onboard air, eliptical 4-link suspension with major articulation etc.

Link Posted: 5/20/2008 4:35:08 PM EST
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 5:16:59 PM EST

More like...

know where i can get a bumper sticker of that?
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 6:02:07 PM EST

Originally Posted By IAMLEGEND:

More like...

OMG, that's awesome!!!

I'm going to print that on a label and put it on my Samurai. It's on 35's with full cage, stinger bar and winch, front and rear lockers, onboard air, eliptical 4-link suspension with major articulation etc.

That's a lot of work to beat a stock TJ
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 6:18:41 PM EST

Originally Posted By Hawken50:

More like...

Ask, and ye shall receive:

www.allterraindecals.com/proddetail.php?prod=MALL-RATED&cat=8
Link Posted: 5/22/2008 2:59:32 AM EST

Originally Posted By Hawken50:

More like...

Ask, and ye shall receive:

www.allterraindecals.com/proddetail.php?prod=MALL-RATED&cat=8

You better research that guy at All terrain decals a bit, I used him once & will never again. If you google him you'll come up w/ the standard reason. I had to threaten him w/ PP & my cc company just to get my stuff.

As for the libby outdoing a stock Wrangler Move away from the crack pipe
Link Posted: 5/22/2008 5:04:54 PM EST

My point wasn't to debunk yours - just to state a fact. I think it is a joke that they "trail rate" these.
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 5:51:55 AM EST

My point wasn't to debunk yours - just to state a fact. I think it is a joke that they "trail rate" these.

Do they make trail rated AR15s?
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 6:06:23 AM EST

What the hell makes the Jeep Patriot or Compass trail rated? I wouldn't take them over a speed bump without fear of breakage. Anybody else feel the same way?

Fuggin' Chrysler advertising, of course.

Jeep is a terrible product.
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 6:07:35 AM EST

Originally Posted By TZLVredmist:
I had to upgrade my Jeep with GM and Ford parts to make it "Trail Rated"

Oh, and parts off of XJ/TJ/YJ and some home brew as well...

There you go.

Mopar blows donkey!
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 9:57:08 AM EST
Just for fun, I measured the ground clearance under the front skid on my Sister's Jeep Liberty. 6 3/8 inches.

For comparision, I measured my Dad's '99 Buick Regal - 5 7/8 inches

So a Buick sedan has only 1/2" less running ground clearance than what is acceptable to become trail rated?? I guess so..

Link Posted: 5/23/2008 10:49:32 AM EST

I'm confused...
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 1:22:20 PM EST
The compass is a slap in the face of the real Jeeps!!!!
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 1:29:05 PM EST

I'm confused...

They are throwing the label around for anything, why not put it on other products.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 11:04:00 AM EST
I can't speak for the other vehicles in Jeep's lineup, but the wife's '07 Commander got it's "trail rated" badge when we upgraded to the "Quadra-Drive II" transfer case.
I'm guessing the "trail rated" thing happens when a Jeep comes from the factory with upgrades to improve it's offroad performance. Notice.....I didn't say to make it an off-road animal.....but rather improve it's performance over stock.
I've got a '97 Wrangler TJ "project" that never had the "trail rated" badge, but will outperform many other off road vehicles. A Jeep TJ "Rubicon".....which DOES have said "trail rated" badge, has many upgrades from the factory (lockers, for one) and makes my TJ look weak.
And regardless of any "trail rated" badge......if you don't know how to 'wheel, you'll break shit and get your junk stuck. Case in point.....the military HMMV is an extreamly capable vehicle.......and privates are constantly breaking 'em...and getting 'em stuck!

As for a "trail rated" Compass? Hell.....I've got nothing....
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 2:40:32 PM EST
2003 TJ Rubicons DID NOT! have the mall rated badge!
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 12:57:31 AM EST

Originally Posted By TZLVredmist:
2003 TJ Rubicons DID NOT! have the mall rated badge!

Actually, I don't believe Jeep started with any of the "trail rated" bullshit until sometime after '03.

I guess the best way to look at it is to compare it to Chevy tagging things with "SS". Take a Camaro and, thru performance options, get one with an "SS" on it.....and you've got a Corvette killer. Add the "SS" to an Impala.......not quite the performance of an "F-body", but still quick.
Now......add an "SS" to the Colbalt????
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 11:20:18 PM EST
Some jeep folks get serious about the trail rated badge. I know on the grand cherokee there is a belief that if you get the 18 inch rims you won't get the badge, but 17 inch rims can get the badge.

My personal opinion is that it probably does help some folks seperate the bad weater awd stuff from the 4 low 4x4 offerings.

I owned an oldsmobile bravada with awd and if you messed around in the mud with it you could overheat its awd transfer case. A very similar chevy blazer with a real 4x4 transfer case could do that stuff all day long and not overheat the transfer case fluid.

I do consider it marketing and since jeep markets their name they may as well market badges as well.

If I ever find a mall rated badge in person I plan to buy it and put it on the passenger side of the vehicle where there is no trail rated badge.

I own a jeep.

It is what it is and if I get bored I might just pull the trail rated badge off and stick it on something else.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top