Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2003 6:17:14 AM EDT
I would have posted this earlier, but since it hit so close to home I couldn't really talk about it yet with others who weren't my immediate family.  

My 5 year old son's best friend, Hannah was killed in a car accident this weekend on her way to "Santa's Workshop" (Christmas related crafts & games) at our church.  We passed the accident on the way to church but did not recognize the car.

She and her parents where at our house just a couple months ago for my son's fifth birthday.  She was one of three kids my son invited to the party.  He always said when he was old enough he would marry Hannah.  My wife an her mother, Tani would joke about our lawyers getting together to make the arrangements.

We found out how difficult it is to tell a 5 year old his best friend is dead.  All I can say is: If we didn't have faith in God I haven't a clue how we could have handled it.

Her mother Tani and her 1 1/2 year old sister are in the hopsital in serious condition.  Her father John just lost his job and sold their other car to cut expenses.

Please keep these fine folks in your prayers this holiday season.

Thanks,

Kent

Here is the news article out of the Ann Arbor, MI paper:

5-year-old killed in car crash

Mom, sister also injured when truck failed to stop at light, police said

Sunday, December 21, 2003

BY TRACY DAVIS AND JOHN MULCAHY
News Staff Reporters

A 5-year-old Ypsilanti Township girl died and her mother and sister were injured after a pick-up truck slammed into the back of their car at 10:10 a.m. Saturday in Ypsilanti Township.

Hannah Elizabeth Caguiat, who had played an angel in her church's Christmas pageant last weekend, was pronounced dead at the scene on Huron Street just north of Joe Hall Drive, said Cmdr. David Egeler of the Washtenaw County Sheriff's Department.

"She was an angel," said the Rev. JoAnn Kennedy Slater of Saint Luke's Episcopal Church. Slater spent the afternoon in the hospital with the family, who attend Saint Luke's. "She was just a delightful little angel."

The girl's mother, Tani Spielberg, 38, and sister, Emily Grace Caguiat, who is 11/2-years-old, were taken to the University of Michigan Medical Center. Spielberg was still in the hospital's emergency room Saturday night in critical condition, said a hospital spokeswoman. Emily Caguiat was listed in serious condition Saturday afternoon but had been upgraded to fair condition by late evening.

The crash occurred as Spielberg was stopped at the back of a long line of traffic for a red light at James L. Hart Parkway. The pickup truck, driven by a 20-year-old Ypsilanti Township man, failed to stop, police said, and hit the back of Spielberg's car.

Both little girls were in the back seat of the car and were properly restrained, Egeler said. The force of the crash demolished the rear of the car. There was no indication that the pick-up truck was traveling at excessive speed, Egeler said. The speed limit on that section of road is 45 mph.

The crash is still under investigation. The report will be turned over to the Washtenaw County prosecutor to see if charges against the driver of the pick-up truck are warranted, Egeler said.

Hannah Caguiat loved soccer, Slater said. She was "into everything," and loved to hug people. She liked the play "Annie," the Barbie.com Web site and was a social, precocious girl whose computer skills rivaled adults', Slater said.

"She was just so out there and alert and generous," she said.

Hannah, whom Slater said was born in Georgia, was a kindergarten student in the Lincoln Consolidated Schools, school Trustee Tony Martin said.

The driver of the pick-up truck declined medical treatment. The collision also forced Spielberg's car into the rear of the car in front of it, driven by an 18-year-old Ypsilanti Township woman who declined medical treatment, police said.

Deputies investigating the crash blocked traffic on Huron Street and diverted traffic through the Washtenaw Business Park, which has entrances north and south of the crash scene.

Martin said that once they were informed of the girl's death, the school began putting in place support efforts for the other children and for Hannah Caguiat's family.

"We try to let them know she was a part of our family, and you're a part of our family," Martin said.

Neighbor Pam Boughton said the whole family is active in the community and very friendly. Spielberg and her husband and daughters had lived in their home about three years, she said.

"They're just wonderful people to have around," she said.

More info at:

www.mlive.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news-7/1072107919323930.xml?aanews?NEA
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:33:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Prayer sent on this side
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:37:32 AM EDT
[#2]
That's terrible, my 5 yo just had a birthday and I guess I'm getting a little softer or something as I get older but those stories tear me up.
My/our prayers go out to you & your little one as well as to the other family. Even though bad things happen in this ol world we can have comfort in knowing that we'll see those like this again and that they're already with the Lord.

Take heart my friend and lean on God for the right words and grace to bear the trials.
There are no words to comfort those grieving, just be a friend.

Semper Fi

PS, This is also a good example of why I like  having "precious cargo" riding in a suburban.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:40:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:41:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I pray that the peace and comfort of our Heavenly Father embrace this family.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:48:40 AM EDT
[#5]
on the way  

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:53:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Very sad indeed.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:57:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Prayers on the way.

Losing someone is hard at any age. I lost my best friend almost two years ago. I'm sure my friend Karen will look after Hannah.

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:58:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I feel for you and this family. In July of this year, my seven year olds classmate and buddy died in a tragic fire. All of his 2nd grade class have remained together since Kindergarten and have formed a pretty tight group. There are some hard things in life, but the death of a child just brings me to tears.

These are the times that test you as a parent. You'll be asked questions from your child that you can't look up in a book; but have to reach down into the core of your being for answers.

My condolences and prayers to you and this family.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:58:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:00:44 AM EDT
[#10]
prayer sent.

our King will love those precious parents and family now more than ever.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:02:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't have any children, but I can imagine the loss and the grief the surviving family must feel. I am very sad to hear this. I will say a prayer for the family this evening.

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:05:13 AM EDT
[#12]
No words could ever begin to express the sorrow I feel for that family and your son, Green_Canoe.  The Holidays will be forever viewed in different light by those who lose loved ones during that time.  Prayers sent.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:07:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Wow... I really feel for them.  Makes me realize how lucky I am, my 2 year old was sitting in the back seat of this car, and came away with just a scratch:

[img]http://www.greghavener.com/images/Rear.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:08:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:08:48 AM EDT
[#15]
GC, a prayer has been sent for Hannah's family and for you son as well.

I was so tore up by this story that I guess I forgot to hit the Submit button. That was 4 or 5 posts in this thread ago.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:10:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Oh, Lord...... [v]

Keep your head down.....Prayers outbound....
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:11:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Prayers sent.

[:(]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:21:54 AM EDT
[#18]
May this sweet child's light shine upon us from her heavenly place at our Father's side. Peace be upon her soul, and may her grace and love bring peace to her family in this time of despair.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:27:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
May this sweet child's light shine upon us from her heavenly place at our Father's side.
View Quote

Amen.

If it weren't for the certain knowledge that this little girl is now playing happily in the lap of the Lord..... [:(]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:43:57 AM EDT
[#20]
As our lord on high holds Hannah[o:)]in his arms. I will pray for Tani and her little girl Emily.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:51:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Prayer sent.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:58:20 AM EDT
[#22]
I do not have words to convey my sadness.  Prayers sent.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:02:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Prayers sent for both the little girls family and your son.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:04:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Folks, just a reminder...

If you have children, especially young ones, whether you are home with them on a regular basis or not, be sure to hold them tight on Christmas and tell them you love them. Hell, don't wait for Christmas, do it NOW.

You never know what you have until it's gone, and you never know when you may lose it.

Go, and love them, so that if such a tragedy should ever befall US, we can at least know that we shared those moments, and that nothing will take them away.

Another prayer.......

five years old..... Good grief! I have SOCKS that are older than that! [>Q]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:05:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Green_Canoe, I have tears in my eyes right now.  Almost exactly a year ago, a friend of mine was in almost your exact situation.  They were coming home from church and saw a horrible crash.  His daughter's best friend was killed on the scene.  Sadly, a few hours later, I was the one to tell him that his daughter's friend had passed.

As a rule, I don't pry into other folks' business, but just last week, I asked him how his daughter was doing, in relation to that situation.  He said she has not shown any outward signs, but does talk about it sometimes.

He said she told him that she missed her, but would have fun with her when she got to Heaven.

Goddammit, I wish I was 6 again, sometimes.

Your daughter will be fine.

You are the one I'm worried about.

Prayers have already been sent.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:13:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Thanks to all of you for your compasion and prayers.

Kent
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:15:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Prayers sent.

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:38:11 AM EDT
[#28]
I hate it when little ones die.[:(!] Prayers sent.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 9:25:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I hate it when little ones die.[:(!] Prayers sent.
View Quote

Yup...done.

Hummm... I have family in Ann Arbor....

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top