Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2002 5:07:48 PM EDT
how can someone go about finding out if they have outstanding traffic tickets/ Warrents ?

Im pretty sure I have some out there and I basicly crap my pants when a cop pulls up behind me..
Cause I have never been told :
[red]"OK .. your an ok guy.. I going to let you go just be sure you take care of this"[/red]

its always been ..
[red]" Sir could you pls step out of the car... "[/red]

and off the the back of the squad car I go.. [:(]

Its always for traffic tickets.. and frankly .. im tired of that.
Has not happened latly simply cause I havent been pulled over [red]YET[/red]..

So since I believe I  currently have at least two spread over 4 countys.. and if I do I can now take care of this .
how do I go about finding out if I have any warrentes/tickets without the arresting officer being the one to inform me?

Thanks..
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 5:09:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Contact the Clerk of Courts in each suspected County.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 5:13:31 PM EDT
[#2]
damn ..
that was to simple...

Guess Ive just been afraid that the call would be traced and Id be arrested  over the phone.. hmm nope not kidding...[;)]

thanks..

Link Posted: 7/23/2002 5:17:23 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are calling to inquire about any court related issue, the clerk's office is not an LEO. They are administrative only. They can provide you with all of the details regarding disposition of the warrant and tickets. Sometimes you can pay it out and be done.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 5:45:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Would the County Clerks be able to tell about any cites given by local pd (in their county)?

I wonder if they have that level of communication sometimes.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 5:46:25 PM EDT
[#5]
If the tickets were from DPS or a county agency, check with the Clerk of the court where you were supposed to appear.

If the tickets were from a city agency, call the municipal court of the city where the citation was issued.

Many Texas cities are also now part of program where your Drivers License will be suspended for failing to take care of traffic citations. Driving While License Invalid is a Class B Misdemeanor, punishable by up to 6 months in jail and a $2,000 fine. Do yourself a favor and take care of this before you get yourself into bigger trouble. Most courts will allow generous payment plans and will continuously adjust payment schedules to your needs, but you have to contact them before you get arrested.

Of course, you can always turn yourself in and get "Jail Credit" for time served, which I think is now set at a minimum of $100 per day for the state. Around here, saavy traffic scofflaws used to turn themselves in just before midnight, spend a night in jail, get magistrated at 7 in the morning, and get $200 credit towards their fines.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 6:04:38 PM EDT
[#6]
The solution is simple.  DON"T IGNORE THE TICKETS.  Either pay them or go to court. I can't understand why anyone would have so many moving violations that they would have to worry about being arrested. My first, last, and only moving violation was in 1958 when I was 15 years old. The period since has included 10 years of professional over the road driving
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 8:47:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If the tickets were from DPS or a county agency, check with the Clerk of the court where you were supposed to appear.

If the tickets were from a city agency, call the municipal court of the city where the citation was issued.

Many Texas cities are also now part of program where your Drivers License will be suspended for failing to take care of traffic citations. Driving While License Invalid is a Class B Misdemeanor, punishable by up to 6 months in jail and a $2,000 fine. Do yourself a favor and take care of this before you get yourself into bigger trouble. Most courts will allow generous payment plans and will continuously adjust payment schedules to your needs, but you have to contact them before you get arrested.

Of course, you can always turn yourself in and get "Jail Credit" for time served, which I think is now set at a minimum of $100 per day for the state. Around here, saavy traffic scofflaws used to turn themselves in just before midnight, spend a night in jail, get magistrated at 7 in the morning, and get $200 credit towards their fines.
View Quote

Natez is pretty much right on the money.  Although I've never seen a DL suspended for failing to take care or traffic warrants or tickets.  I've only seen that in Texas, DPS will deny renewal on your driver's license until you take care of the traffic warrants/tickets.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 11:56:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Simple. Why not just take care of them when you get them??? I can't understand why people would risk becoming DUS or have a warrant issued over a seat belt ticket. If you don't have the cash to pay the fines on your court date, most courts will set up a payment plan for you anyway.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 11:58:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Take the NRA or associated stickers off your vehicle. The police will treat you better.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 3:02:03 AM EDT
[#10]
The DL suspension thing is a pilot program that DPS has been doing for a couple of years that it is starting to expand. It is so that someone from El Paso doesn't get a speeding ticket in Texarkana (which are about as far away from each other as Dallas is from Minneapolis, for you non-Texans) and never takes care of it, since the only traffic warrants that get entered into TCIC are DPS warrants. It is similar in theory to the Interstate Violator's Compact; If you are from Texas, and blow off a traffic ticket in another signatory state, that state contacts Texas, who suspends your DL until you take care of the ticket. I think there are about 38 (?) states in the compact, and all will suspend your license for failing to take care of citations in other signatory states. The Texas program is similar, and is probably coming soon to city near you.

Another note, if you have warrants from another state active (even traffic warrants), you fit the federal definition of a "fugitive from justice," and it is illegal for you to possess firearms.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 7:01:48 AM EDT
[#11]
I received a speeding ticket in Temple, Texas almost 5 years ago and never paid it. When I recently called the Justice of the Peace Office in Holland, TX where I was originally suppossed to appear, they said they had no outstanding tickets or arrest warrants for me. I'm guessing my ticket either got lost in the system or they used to just purge old unpaid tickets. My license was never suspended as a result of not paying that ticket, I've had no problems renewing my Washington Sate driver's license or concealed weapon permit, have passed NICS checks, and subsequent traffic stops have been without incident. Guess I just beat the system on that one. [:)]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 12:53:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't forget, some states have what's known as a violator compact agreement. So, if you don't take care of a ticket in say Ohio, your home state of Michigan can suspend your license. Don't quote me on those particular states, but various states do have this agreement....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top