Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2002 9:02:34 AM EDT
Ok, so I was doing 70-75 in a 55 and got caught by a State Trooper (aka JBT).  He said I was doing 80 and didn't even give me a chance to give him the bullshit Lawyer routine.  He didn't look twice at my military ID or my PBA and sheriff association cards, which I flashed subtly as I opened my wallet to get my license...

Anyway, after he gave me the ticket, I asked him what my options are.  He seemed to encourage me to plead not guilty, so I did!

Now, my court date is this week (I've already adjurned it once) and I was wondering if any particular excuses work more than others.  Of course it will depend on whether the Trooper is there and the mood of the Judge, but what are some of the plausible excuses that might have worked for you guys in the past???

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 9:08:36 AM EDT
[#1]
If the cop doesn't show up, plead not guilty and go home. If he does I would probably plead no contest, ask the judge for defensive driving, pay my fine and go home. You are very unlikely to talk your way out of a ticket with the judge. Usually they could give a shit less what your excuse is unless it is something serious.

Just look at it this way and it makes more sense: Speeding tickets are a tax for people who drive fast. Just pay the bullshit ticket and go on.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 9:11:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 9:23:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Okay.  You admit to wrongdoing. (75 in a 55) You call the officer names. (JBT)  You try to weasel your way out with stupid cards you flash at the officer. (Influence or bribe)
You ask for advice in avoiding responsibility for your actions.  

Have you ever heard of personal ethics?

Your only hope is to go with what Aimless says, and just tell the truth.

BTW:  you were doing 25 over by the officer's statement.  You are looking at automatic suspension.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 9:27:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't do the crime if you can't do the crime.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 9:27:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Johninaustin...get a life...its a friggin speeding ticket, not criminally negligent homicide.

I'm not looking at a suspension.  Its my first traffic ticket.  Give me a break
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 9:29:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Why not tell the truth. "Your honor, Yes, I was speeding but, I'm a sniveling, whining cry baby who doesn't want to held responsible for my actions. Laws are for other people not me. The JBT, oops I mean Trooper said I was doing 80 but you know how they lie. I was only doing 75 so how about a break?"

Does the guy who gave you the PBA or Sheriffs Assc. card know you refer to them as JBT's?
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 9:29:59 AM EDT
[#7]
plead not guilty and ask for a jurry trial!

clog the system untill the get the message.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Let's see.  You're the one ethically challenged, evading responsibility and facing DL suspension, being dropped by your insurance company, etc.  I have a much better life than you do at this point. Just where did you get this ticket?
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 9:31:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Just pay your tax like a good boy.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 9:33:22 AM EDT
[#10]
I dont agree with name calling....but what sucks is that 6 months ago, you were not speeding. Changing the limit back to 55 was a ton of BULLSHIT. 70 will be back soon and we can all get back to the normal routine.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 9:36:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Some of you guys make it sound like I'm the only guy who ever got a damn speeding ticket and then plead not guilty.  Quit Butt-f*cking your traffic violations code books.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 9:37:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Dave, what on earth are you talking about?  Since when are speed limits now 55MPH?

Scipio,  the "everyone does it" line has never worked.

My point is:  You knew you were speeding.  You personally, know the truth.  You were caught.

Own up to it like a mature, honest human being.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 9:43:45 AM EDT
[#13]
You might ask when was the last time the radar was calibrated and by what method they use to calibrate them. If they are calibrated by tuning forks ask if the tuning forks have ever been dropped. Dropping them would throw them out of tune, so the radar was out of calibration. This might only work if more than one officer uses the radar. One officer can't say for sure if another officer has ever dropped the forks. I think calibration is supposed to be done at the beginning of the shift and/or if the unit is taken from one vehicle and put into another. A friend who has had alot of speeding tickets told me this a year or two ago. True or not, I don't know. Best of Luck.
MM419
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 9:56:10 AM EDT
[#14]
This is a subject I have a fair amount of experience. I hate speed limits. I speed most of the time, but have a clean license and have never had a car accident in 30 years of driving.

Any admission of guilt ("everyone else was going fast too", "I was only going 75", etc.) will lead to certain and immediate conviction.

The only thing that IMHO has any prayer of succeeding is if the judge believes that you were not speeding. You have to look him directly in the eye and without twitching or averting your eyes even for a split second, you have to say "I was not speeding. I was going the speed limit". Ask any cop how to tell if someone is lieing; they'll all tell you that looking away is part of it.

Of course, you have the ethical question of just how far can one go to avoid punishment for what one considers an unjust law. If telling a lie is too far for you, then your best hope is that the cop doesn't show up.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 9:58:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Dave, what on earth are you talking about?  Since when are speed limits now 55MPH?
View Quote

I was under the impression that the whole state went back to 55. It is 55 from here in houston all the way to our other property this side of victoria...only small portions of the back roads are still 70. 55 is too slow on the big highways....unless your driving in a patrol car and everybody slams on their brakes when they see you...LOL (easy now...just kiddin). If I drove 55 around here, I would be run over.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 10:06:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 10:12:18 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't know how they do it where you're from, but here in Florida, if you take a ticket to traffic court and the officer who wrote it doesn't show up, the case is automatically dismissed.

If that's not the case in your area, then start by requesting proof that the trooper has his radar license and that his radar has been recently calibrated and is not overdue for recalibration,
or more specifically, wasn't as of the date you got the ticket.

If I still lost the case in Florida, I'd pay the fine, take the points on my license, and go home.

CJ

Link Posted: 10/14/2002 10:14:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Well, it may have been something done by the county, they would have control of speed limits in unincorporated areas off the state highway system.  But the state speed limit currently stands at 70mph.  There is no plan to change that I know of. Did they drop the limit for pending construction maybe?

I don't know if it applies in this case, Scipio won't tell me where he received the ticket.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 10:24:37 AM EDT
[#19]
I did not receive the ticket in Texas...the speed limits in Texas, therefore, do not apply...
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 10:38:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Get the speedo calibrated, cheap and quick look it up in the yellow pages. When you go to the shop the guy will ask you what the problem is. Show him the ticket and say can you help me with a DELUXE calibration. If he is a law abiding shop owner he will say we only have one kind . If he is like most shop he will nod and explain how you two are going to help each other.

If the calibration trick will not work got to a parts store and buy a speedo cable.Bring it back later. Tell the judge you changed the cable because it was broken. This has to be done like a pro , if you can lie dont try.

Bring a copy of you driving record with you to court and plead not guilty. Show receipt for calibration or cable. The judge will drop it to defective equipment

At least that is how it works in VA most of the time.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 10:51:57 AM EDT
[#21]
"I fucked up Your Honor, and I'm sorry".
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 10:56:10 AM EDT
[#22]
You got the ticket out of state,  and you've already postponed the court date?  Guy, do like Aimless says and get a real lawyer. NOT the "bullshit lawyer" routine.

Do you realize there is a " Interstate compact" rule?

That, among other things under this rule,  the citing state will notify whatever state you have a driver's license thru to revoke your license? There is no requirement to notify you!

Your insurance company will know, and drop you like a hot rock. Good luck in ever finding another one. If you are active military your next major command will know as well.  What they will do is even more unpleasant.  If you have a bank loan for the car and insurance is required,  they'll take an interest also.

Passing this off as "no big deal" means you are going to screw yourself over for years to come. Potentially, bumbling around on this will cost you thousands.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 10:59:15 AM EDT
[#23]
hate to say it...  you WERE speeding, you got caught.  if you're lucky, the trooper won't show up in court, and you can plead not guilty and get off.  I don't see that happening, in MO, the trooper is given the entire day off (his court day) and WILL be in court.  

pay your money like a good boy.

yeah, it sucks, but you got caught.  So did I, once.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 11:03:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
BTW:  you were doing 25 over by the officer's statement.  You are looking at automatic suspension.
View Quote

I hope you're just shittin this guy...automatic suspension for 25 over? Where do you guys come up with this stuff?
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 11:05:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Johninaustin... I no longer live in Texas.  The state in which I received the ticket is the same state in which I reside.  I'm telling you now, that I am in no danger of losing my license.  This is my first speeding ticket ever.  The only other ticket I have ever recieved was a parking ticket, which I actually got while I was in the car!  

Man, seriously, its just a speeding ticket.  I know in Texas they like handing out capital punishment (which I agree with), but you make it sound like they like hanging people over going a bit fast on the highway...
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 11:07:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Amen Ponyboy... some people love running around yelling, "The sky is falling, the sky is falling..."
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 11:11:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Ok here's you're out, MAYBE.

Tell the judge that you weren't speeding and that the Officer picked out the wrong car and got you by mistake. Or you could attack his credibility by getting a lawyer and have the lawyer to ask about the Officer's radar certification card and is it current and the same goes about the radar unit itself. When was the radar unit last certified and did the Officer recheck his calibration after writting you the ticket? My people check the calibration when going on their shift, after each citation and at the end of shift and it is recorded on their daily activity reports. Did this Trooper do this??? Get a lawyer and find out. But it will cost you more than the price of the ticket and if you're convicted in city court, you can always appeal your case to county court and ask for a jury trial.

Or you could suck it up like a man and pay your ticket, we all know that you're guilty as hell, and so do you. You got caught and you're guilty so pay up dude...

7th
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 11:18:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You got the ticket out of state,  and you've already postponed the court date?  Guy, do like Aimless says and get a real lawyer. NOT the "bullshit lawyer" routine.
View Quote

Dude...it's only a speeding ticket. Who needs a lawyer for a speeding ticket unless you want to pay $100 to get it quashed?

That, among other things under this rule,  the citing state will notify whatever state you have a driver's license thru to revoke your license? There is no requirement to notify you!
View Quote

There is also no requirement for your home state to comply. I got a ticket for about 15 over in another state a few years ago. The cop was pretty much a jackass and I've got no desire to ever return to this particular state, so I littered the ticket on the side of the highway before I crossed the border and I haven't looked back. Guess what...the sky hasn't fell on me yet!!

Your insurance company will know, and drop you like a hot rock. Good luck in ever finding another one. If you are active military your next major command will know as well.  What they will do is even more unpleasant.  If you have a bank loan for the car and insurance is required,  they'll take an interest also.
View Quote

Yep, I heard that if you are in the military and you get a speeding ticket you get thrown in the brig. It will forever be impossible for you to get a loan and all of your credit cards will self-cancel.

Passing this off as "no big deal" means you are going to screw yourself over for years to come. Potentially, bumbling around on this will cost you thousands.
View Quote

Read above...[b]IT IS A SPEEDING TICKET[/b] It isn't a big deal because [b]IT IS A SPEEDING TICKET[/b]. Bumbling around won't cost you thousands of dollars because [b]IT IS A SPEEDING TICKET[/b].

I've never see anyone get so excited over [b]JUST A SPEEDING TICKET[/b].
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 11:23:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Dude...it's only a speeding ticket. Who needs a lawyer for a speeding ticket unless you want to pay $100 to get it quashed?

View Quote

There is also no requirement for your home state to comply. I got a ticket for about 15 over in another state a few years ago. The cop was pretty much a jackass and I've got no desire to ever return to this particular state, so I littered the ticket on the side of the highway before I crossed the border and I haven't looked back. Guess what...the sky hasn't fell on me yet!!

View Quote

Yep, I heard that if you are in the military and you get a speeding ticket you get thrown in the brig. It will forever be impossible for you to get a loan and all of your credit cards will self-cancel.

View Quote

Read above...[b]IT IS A SPEEDING TICKET[/b] It isn't a big deal because [b]IT IS A SPEEDING TICKET[/b]. Bumbling around won't cost you thousands of dollars because [b]IT IS A SPEEDING TICKET[/b].

I've never see anyone get so excited over [b]JUST A SPEEDING TICKET[/b].
View Quote

In some states, 25 MPH over the posted speed is considered [b]negulant(sp?) driving[/b], if this is the case, he very well may want to have a lawyer.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 11:28:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Amen Ponyboy... some people love running around yelling, "The sky is falling, the sky is falling..."
View Quote

I don't know where you are from before, but Texas is nothing like what johninaustin is describing. Most cops let you go with 10 over and even if they catch you for more they'll sometimes let you slide a little for a cheaper ticket.

I've had a ticket for more than 40 over, which could have landed me in jail, and no suspended license.

Speeding tickets are little more than a nuisance.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 11:30:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
In some states, 25 MPH over the posted speed is considered [b]negulant(sp?) driving[/b], if this is the case, he very well may want to have a lawyer.
View Quote

If that were the case then he would have gotten another ticket. He said that he got a speeding ticket.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 11:42:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Why don't you tell the judge that this whole thing hurts your feelings, and that you just don't think it's FAIR that you are being subjected to a difficult and traumatic experience by having to deal with all of this.

Maybe he'll sympathize, and let you off.  Or even better, maybe it will be a SHE, and then the emotional appeal is sure to work.  Yeah, that's the ticket!  (Sorry)

Or, just suck it up and pay your dues to the "get outta my way club."  It's just the cost of doing business, driving-wise.  Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

And have a nice day!

[;)]
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 12:04:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Scipio,  please disregard everything I've said.  Silly me,  to think that "TX" under your name meant you were from Texas.  Have a nice time in court. Just out of curiosity,  what state ARE you in?  I'd like to look up the traffic code.

Ponyboy,  it is quite common to have your license suspended for traffic infractions. I direct your attention to:

TTC ART.702.004 titled CITATIONS:

You may also find another section of interest,
Same title code, dealing with courts and failure to appear etc. Try 543.003/543.004.  If you have any questions, drop me an IM.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 12:06:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Some of you really sound like a bunch of sniveling bitches.  Scipio was doing like everyone does, which poses no threat to anyone on the roads.  I live near him and I know the parkway that he was driving on.  

These state troopers are fucking useless on Long Island, they are nothing but highway robbers - of time and money.  It isn't just a tax when they can take his license away, AND FOR WHAT?  A ticket for a law that's mala prohibita?  

I hope you moralists get off your high horse and get pulled over sometime soon and "pay your tax," because you sure as hell sound like you're revelling in his ticket by telling him to "suck it up and pay it like a man."

In my experience, being a man doesn't include paying for arbitrary laws.  I hope he fights the trooper and wins.  Troopers are nothing but a damn nuisance - they DO NOT protect and serve around here, just a bunch of glorified meter maids of the highway.

When they ban your guns because they COULD pose a threat, don't come telling us on this board, someone just might tell you to suck it up and hand them over.  

And what was that shit about the "Influence or bribe" crap?  Sounds like you're out of touch or just plain clueless.  WEASELING his way out with these cards is what trooper families and other cop buddies do.  Are you going to get IAB involved with that police misconduct?

Also...owning up to breaking the law does nothing for you.  Are you going to go home and be proud of your stupidity when you're paying a couple hundred dollar fine, or worse....you can't DRIVE home?  Get a clue, you really don't sound that bright, or at the very least, you drive like a grandma.

Link Posted: 10/14/2002 12:20:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Its my first traffic ticket.  Give me a break
View Quote

So why appear at all? Pay it out and forget about it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 12:20:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Ponyboy,  it is quite common to have your license suspended for traffic infractions. I direct your attention to:

TTC ART.702.004 titled CITATIONS:

You may also find another section of interest,
Same title code, dealing with courts and failure to appear etc. Try 543.003/543.004.  If you have any questions, drop me an IM.
View Quote

I'm not saying that you can't have you license suspended for traffic violations, but I have to disagree that it is common, and virtually unheard of for first time offenders, regardless of the violation. I know a couple of people that have had their license suspended. One was for multiple infractions, including failure to appear and the other was for not paying his child support.

I know and understand the laws, as I have a degree in criminal justice and my sister is an attoney. I understand all about the court system and what happens when you fail to appear. Between the ages of 16 and 21 I probably got 40 or so different moving violation citations, so believe me, I understand how it all works.

I just think that you're blowing the whole thing out of proportion. It's only a speeding ticket.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 12:24:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Johninaustin...you can take the heart out of Texas, but you can't take the Texas out of the heart...
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 5:32:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 10:44:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You might ask when was the last time the radar was calibrated...

That's why I use a laser (LIDAR).[}:)]

Link Posted: 10/14/2002 10:56:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Tell them you had the SHITS and had to find a restroom FAST. Thats supposed to be the one that will work most often.

Aviator
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 1:18:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Couple of things...

State Troopers live and breathe traffic citations...

1) He will be at court with his bells on.

2) He will have all his ducks in a row, i.e., paperwork, certification cards, tuning forks, etc.

3) The Judge will not care for boo hoo antics.  Just present yourself as a hardworking ciizen who made a mistake, and has learned from the experience.  State that the Officer was polite and made an impact on you when he stopped you.  Thank the Judge, call him/her your honor, and don't wear your Motely Crue t-shirt to court.  Maybe the Judge will set aside the fine.

But if you try any of this boo hoo crap or try to throw some doubt on the officer, good luck with that.  State Troopers eat that sh*t for breakfast.

So good luck, and look forward to the payment plan.

AZTrooper
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 8:56:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

...and don't wear your Motely Crue t-shirt to court...  
View Quote

Or your pink dress.
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 10:08:33 PM EDT
[#43]
I still think crying will work.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 10:27:45 PM EDT
[#44]
The judge will drop it to defective equipment.
View Quote

And why wouldn't the judge charge you for the original ticket and add-on another charge for driving a vehicle in an unsafe condition?z
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 10:45:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top