Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2002 9:55:31 AM EDT
Went to the gunshow today.  I was almost in withdrawal.  I haven't been to one in almost a year now.  I had the SP1 in the car in case I found an M1A.  A local dealer had 2 with synthetic stocks 1 black and 1 camo.  I wanted wood so I asked if he brought one.  Yep, and he's interested in a trade.  He want's the SP1 and $100.  I can live with that and that's what I figured any dealer would want for that trade.  I know I'll miss the pre-ban features but I still have a Bushy and an M4gery.  So I'm now the proud owner of a Springfield M1A.  BTW, I also have a Springfield M1 Garand courtesy of the CMP.  I know I probably could have gotten more for the SP1, but I paid less than $900 for it a year and a half ago.  Now to find some overpriced 20 round mags.  This show put on by Eastmans was actually a good show with a good mix of civilian and military style rifles/accessories.  They're coming back in July and I'll be going back.

jd1
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 10:11:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I like my AR a lot, but the M1A will [b]always[/b] be my choice if I have to pack up and disappear with my gear and a rifle. I've never had a firearm-related malfunction, and I can hit farther with it due to its (IMO) much better sights.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 10:30:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 10:53:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Congrads! I've got a pre-ban M1A - good stuff. I've had pretty good success with the cheaper Red Chinese M14 mags. Check out the info on M1As on the Fulton Armory website [url]www.fulton-armory.com[/url]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 12:13:29 PM EDT
[#4]
[url]www.battlerifles.com[/url]
I've also looked at the above site.  It has some OK info.  I've looked at Fulton Armory also.  Thanks for the positive feedback.  I've not really decided on the ONE gun to grab.  I own an 2 ARs, SAR1, M1, M1A, SKS, and a slough of bolt action military rifles.  They're all fun to shoot.  I just wish I had more time to get to the range.  I did buy a USGI mag at the show today but where can I get CHICOM mags?

jd1  
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 3:03:24 PM EDT
[#5]
You traded a preban rifle that is no longer being produced, and borders on "classic" status, for a current production item?!!!
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 7:03:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Depending on the condition of the SP1 I probably would not have thrown in the $100, but I think you did good.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 7:10:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I wanted to go to Columbus for the show but had no money and nothing I wanted to trade. :(
Boohoo for me.
Bill3508
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 7:33:21 PM EDT
[#8]
The Colt wasn't in pristeen condition and it was full of carbon when I bought it.  I wanted a pre-ban but if for nothing else, it was an investment.  I never even had time to go out and shoot it.  I got it for less than $900.  I could have sold it for the cash and probably came out better, but I didn't feel like dealing with with the trouble, and I figured that I'd have to throw in $100 anyway.  As for trading a classic in on a new one - I've been wanting an M1A for a long time and my only option was to trade up as I'm not rolling in cash right now.  As for their being scarce, the dealer already had another SP1 and I see them fairly often at gun shows.  Will I find another one for that price - probably not but I can live with that.  I'm not overly mystiqued by the Colt name (and lack of interchangeability) and if the AW sunsets, I can put a flash suppressor and bayo-lug on my other 2 AR's.  As for the Columbus gun show, it's probably worth the $7 to see all the AR and military items as well as Class 3 items.  
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 8:36:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I usually only go to Eastman's shows because he doesn't allow any flea market crap at his shows. I was planning to go to Columbus but I ate something that didn't agree with me last night.[puke]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top