Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2005 4:26:44 PM EDT
Okay I got a Smith and Wesson model 67 revolver in .38 special and Crimson laser grips as well. I want to take them next week to a gunshop and trade. I bought the Smith and Wesson in 2001 it cost $400 and the laser sights cost $200 (estimate). So that's $600 total. Now I know that the shop won't tade $600 bucks worth of guns. But I figure I might be able to get a Ruger Vaquero(they go for about $400). Or maybe an AK47.
What have been your experiences with trading guns at gunshops.

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:28:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never traded with a shop for the simple reason, they will usually give you 1/3 of the value.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:28:55 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Okay I got a Smith and Wesson model 67 revolver in .38 special and Crimson laser grips as well. I want to take them next week to a gunshop and trade. I bought the Smith and Wesson in 2001 it cost $400 and the laser sights cost $200 (estimate). So that's $600 total. Now I know that the shop won't tade $600 bucks worth of guns. But I figure I might be able to get a Ruger Vaquero(they go for about $400). Or maybe an AK47.
What have been your experiences with trading guns at gunshops.

Hope you like taking it up the butt.  Most gunshops I've dealt with will give you around fifty on the dollar.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:30:29 PM EDT
[#3]
consider it pawning it but without the going back to get it part.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:43:04 PM EDT
[#4]
better to consign it or sell it through the local paper.  You'll never get what it's worth as trade.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:47:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Your best bet for top dollar is to sell it on:

smith-wessonforum.com/eve

I've dealt on this board and done well there.

HH
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I work at a very large gunshop. As almost a general rule, you will get less than half of what you paid for a weapon. I would imagine us giving you about $275. Most gunshops make thier money selling used firearms. We have to have some way of paying the bills. You should try to sell your pistol privatly, before you get hosed by a gunshop.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:06:52 PM EDT
[#7]
figure 50% of the gun and 25% or less for the grips included. \

I would give your $250 tops at a shop. $275 if you are a good customer $300 if you were trading against anbother used gun with a  good markup.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:20:54 PM EDT
[#8]
they usually offer about 1/3 of what they would sell it for

I brought in my Remington 870P magnum riot shot gun with factory mag extension, parkerized finish, plain walnut stocks, 18" cylinder bore and they only offered me $85.00 trade in at a gun store.

I took it to the gunshow and sold it for $260
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top